Daily Five/Daily Three Questions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, Aug 1, 2008.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

Ok, so I finished reading the book and I LOVE the ideas...because I teach 3rd, I'm planning on doing the daily 3 (read to self, read to someone, and either work on writing or working with words). My question is, since I only have an hour for reading, how do I structure my guided reading groups with the mini lessons between each session? The mini lesson thing is freaking me out!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I did the Daily 3 last year too. My kids did either Read to Self, Read to Someone or Listen to Reading because we have a separate hour writing block so... here's how I structured the hour for reading--
    10 Mini Lesson (whole group)
    15 minutes First Choice
    2 minutes to reconvene and check in and send off to next Daily
    15 minutes Second Choice
    2 minute check in and off to next Daily
    15 minutes Third Choice
    2 minute recap of mini lesson and a sharer
    Sometimes if time was an issue or as they began to read more and build their stamina, I would have them choose 2 dailies instead of three... wish I didn't have to do that but...
    I did my guided groups and my conferring while the kids were doing their Dailys. I typically met with 2 groups and then conferred with 3 kids or so...
    Sometimes I only got to 1 guided group and did more conferences when I needed to (like when we were doing our assessments three times a year etc)
    Hope that helps a bit. It's such an awesome way to "do" reading but we just never have enough time to do it right i feel. Ugh!
    Anyway-- :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

Did you use a basal at all?

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

We don't use a basal series at all in our district. We use reading workshop/guided reading. I really love it but would love the direction that a basal would give. :whistle:

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks trayums...thats along with line of what I was thinking of, but I wanted to hear from people who already do it! I will be using an anthology for whole group lessons, but I do guided reading most days with the Rigby series. What guided reading series do you use? :)

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

We also use Rigby PM collection and assorted others. I think the schedule tends to work pretty well. :)

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

Ok...we use Rigby too:)

9. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 1, 2008

This is really something I am interested in but I'm not understanding the program completely. What exactly is "first choice", "second choice", etc.. and dailies? I googled but didn't get anything.

I also only get an hour for Reading each day but we have a basal.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

There are 5 dailies...read to self, read to someone, listen to reading, working on writing, and working with words. It is essentially a program to help students become independent readers. Its something you can do in lieu of centers. Check out www.the2sisters.com for more info.

Its primarily called the Daily 5, but when you get into the intermediate grades, you don't always have a lot of time, which is why I'm considering the Daily 3.

11. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thank you! This seems very interesting. Did you buy the book?

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, I bought it earlier this summer and read it. Its an easy read and gives a lot of detailed info.

13. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

This will be my third year using the Daily 5 and I love it! We only get to two choices a day due to time, but they still enjoy choosing what to do. I structure it much the same way as you all do. 15 minute whole group mini lesson, 15 mins of dailies while I meet with one group, then another 15 mins of dailies while I meet with a different group. That also gives them time for uninterrupted silent reading for 15 minutes later in the day. They seem to like that separate time. The book gives really clear set up and maintenance directions. I'm also trying out the CAFE reading program by the 2 sisters this year.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

The sisters have a new website too which is called The Daily Cafe. While you do have to pay to see everything, they also provide a lot of free information too. Videos, printables etc. which are great. Here's the site...
    www.thedailycafe.com
    Hope it helps.