Daily Five Book Boxes

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by LovetoteachPREK, May 30, 2014.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 30, 2014

Hi! I am starting a new position as a first grade teacher next year and our school will be implementing Daily Five for the first time. I'm wondering what others are using for the students' personal book boxes. I've seen cardboard magazine holders that would probably only last one year, but the students could personalize them...or I've seen plastic ones but they will end up costing a lot on my limited budget. I already need to buy bins to put all the books in the library. Just wondering what others have used and how it has worked.

Also, if you have any other tips for Daily Five, that would be GREAT! Everybody on my team will be brand new at this, so we need all the help we can get!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 30, 2014

What grade level? This makes a difference :)

Cardboard ones will only last a few months in a K classroom. I had one who had totally destroyed their book box in two weeks.

The Dollar Tree has had some that worked well. At $1 a pop, it is great. The only ones that were big enough to use were flexible. I taught 2nd at the time, which meant a lot of picture books. Because they were flexible, they'd flop over and there would be a domino effect.

Last summer, I bought magazine bins from Big Lots. They were $3 each, but I got them on sale for $2.20 each. I didn't use them this year because I've done a maternity leave and then hired as a mid-year replacement. I will be using them next year. I've had similar ones in the past, and they worked well for organizing books for me, so I'm sure they will do well as book boxes for the kiddos. Google found me a picture of them :) [​IMG]

I've also heard of people using ice cube bins.

All should be cheaper alternatives to the expensive teacher store ones. As I said, grade level needs factor in to the best buy.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 31, 2014

I've taught first for the past 2 years. Last year, I used the cardboard ones from Ikea. I put the kids' photos on them and it looked cute. They definitely wouldn't have lasted past the year - some of them didn't look terrific at the end of that year. However, I've since seen ideas online about duct taping the entire bottom of the box to reinforce it. That would likely help. If you are on a budget, that's probably the direction I would go.

This year, I splurged for the expensive ones from Really Good Stuff in neon green and neon blue. They are fantastic, but definitely expensive.

5. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 31, 2014

Some of our teachers use cereal boxes. I use gallon zip bags and have the children keep the books in their desks because I don't have room for book boxes.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 31, 2014

I use plastic magazine boxes from Scholastic. I used my points to buy a class set. 2 years and they are still holding well.

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 31, 2014

Thanks for your quick replies! Yellow Daisies, I am jealous, as the ones from Really Good Stuff are the ones I want - you even picked the same colors I want! I found the Ikea ones on Amazon, and they definitely are budget friendly, but I am very OCD about the appearance of my room, so if they start to look destroyed, that will be hard for me!

Giraffe, it's first grade, and I will definitely keep checking the Dollar Tree. Ours here is small, but heading into the "city" today, so I will check theirs. I've never been to Big Lots, but that's worth a try too.

If you have any Daily Five tips, that would be awesome. Right now, I'm thinking about doing Work on Writing at another time just because I don't have that long of an interrupted time for reading.

What kinds of things do you do for Word Work?

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 31, 2014

If you don't like when they start looking destroyed, I would try to stay away from cardboard ones. I did see a post on Pinterest one time where someone used ice box things from WalMart and decorated them with colored duct tape.

I have had horrible luck with Dollar Tree. Others on this board must have much better stores than we do here.

Here's a run down of what I do for Daily 5 (I have 6 choices, so it's actually called Daily 6...I will never do that again, because since I am so used to calling it Daily 5, I constantly slip up, lol):
    - Word Work: magnet letters, letter stamps, letter beads, activities from TPT (puzzles, etc), rainbow writing (fancy crayons and markers), magna doodles from Lakeshore - I find that I need to change this up a lot, or they get bored.
    - Read to self: Well, they have 5 books in their book boxes.
    - Read to Someone: I use plays from The Teeny Tiny Teacher on TPT. They are fantastic and worth every penny. (This is her store - look for her Reader's Theater plays.)
    - Listen to Reading: books and CDs I've gradually purchased from Scholastic. I have old iPods that I use.
    - Work on Writing: This changes through the year. Journals, writing prompts, lists, etc. There are LOTS Of packets on TPT that can help with this!!
    - Technology: We have a school-purchased language arts computer program the kids use. (istation)

This year I've been doing 3 rotations a day, 20 minutes each. The kids choose. I just have a checklist and go through the whole class at the beginning of every rotation, and they choose quickly. Practice makes perfect with that method. ;)

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 31, 2014

I've used the IKEA ones for the last several years, and so have the 1st grade teacher. We reinforce the bottoms, inside and out, with clear packing tape. We really model how to take care of the book boxes, and most of them stay in good shape. There are a few that are pretty beat up by the end of the year, but I don't find that a huge deal. And the price can't be beat! (I think they're about $1.50 for 5, so 30 cents a piece?)

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I bought some plastic totes from classroom direct. They have handles and are durable.

11. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I use the magazine holders but I actually have the parents buy them.