Daily Five and CAFE in Third Grade

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EagleTeacher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I have been reading the CAFE book this summer. I would like to read the Daily Five. Has anyone started this in their classroom and how well did it work for you in third?

3. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I've heard of the Daily Five, but I have no idea what it is. Can you explain it?

Also, what is the CAFE book? I've never heard of it.

4. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 27, 2009

The Daily 5 is the five essential items that students must complete everyday to have success in reading. I read the book in June and plan to implement some items in my classroom this year. I was look at purchasing the CAFE book, but can't quite understand what it is.

I would purchase the Daily 5. There are wonderful ideas that can be changed to fit your classroom.

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I used ideas from the daily five in my first grade classroom las year and i loved it. What I really liked was how they spelled out how to implement it by teaching and practicing the different methods. I started out religiously how they implemented it but on a tighter time period last year and have tweaked it to fit my needs throughout the year. I will be continuing it is 3rd grade this year as welll.

6. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I used a Daily 5 concept last year in 5th grade, now in 3rd grade I will have to use CAFE. I am not familiar with this at all -I had no idea there was a book, I would have bought it!
    I understand it to be classroom management with individualized ELA concepts for the students to do daily...am I right?

7. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

8. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Cafe Book

The acronym CAFE stands for comprehension, accuracy, fluency,and expanded vocabulary. The book focuses on teaching you how to set up individual conferences with students and teach them strategies to help them in the area that they need work in such as comprehension. Whole group teaching is minimized and small groups and individual conferences are the focus during literacy instruction.