Daily ELA plans..?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by CDOR79, Oct 13, 2018.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Oct 13, 2018

So I have a new grade this year...teaching ELA to 2 fifth grade classes. We don’t have any specific curriculum we need to follow. I have two 40 min periods- so 80 minutes of ELA every day.

We have our reading text book (basic Basile reader), a grammar workshop book and vocabulary workshop. I also want to incorporate 3 novels this year.

I’m trying to put together my OWN “system” and am having a hard time! I obviously want to cover major skills and not just have the cookie cutter plans with our reading text. Im
    thinkinf I should try readers workshop which is all new to me too.

I just wish I had a template or idea of someone else and then could take it and run with my own ways and ideas.

Any thoughts on ways to put this together?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2018

All I want to add is an encouragement to have a read-aloud/read-along period every day. Also, reading journals.

Joyful! likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 13, 2018

My entire year in divided into four thematic units. Within those units, I laid out the reading standards first, then added the writing, language, and speaking & listening. The listed standard is what is formally assessed that week, but since ELA isn’t stand-alone standards, it also spirals constantly. By the end of the year I have formally assessed each standard between 2 and 4 times. Each formal assessment is a cold-read where they apply the standard from the week. Everything else, like quizzes over specific articles or stories, counts as classwork.

Once I have the themes, standards, and assessments completed, I go back and add the actual activities and daily intentional questions. It does take a lot of work initially, but after that it can be tweaked pretty easily from year to year.

There is a calendar with the breakdown of the pacing, then a weekly question guide, then my daily plans. It is for 8th grade, but I can show you if you want to PM me your email address. It’s all in electronic form I can share with you. We use the same format K-12.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 13, 2018

Don't be so quick to spend time reinventing the cookie cutter plan. Instead, take it, and add the things you want to incorporate. For example, figure out how to divide your novel into chunks and pull out the same concepts that are the focus in the reader, and develop those through the novel. Reader focusing on characters, then make your journal entry topic be the characters in the novel. Compare and contrast the main characters of the reader story and the novel. Things like that are easy add ins with big payoff. I have found that pushing students to think about long and short pieces together, coupled with compare and contrast between them created such an opportunity for them to think critically and express things in writing more fully. Then, you need to respond to each one in writing to keep it going. (So, the time you would have spent developing an amazing non cookie cutter lesson can be spent in developing each student's capacity to think and express.) Just an idea. I have done this with great success if you measure success in achievement scores. I have found great success if you measure it by meeting the standards. More importantly, I have noticed growth in their thought processes and expression of ideas. :)

Upsadaisy likes this.