Daily 5...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by cmgeorge626, Sep 1, 2009.

1. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Okay, so I'm launching the Daily 5 for the first time this year! We tried Read to Self yesterday and were able to go for about 4 minutes. We tried again today and only did about 2 minutes! :unsure: Is there anyone else out there who is doing Daily 5 also? What are your experiences/advice?

3. old n new

old n new Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

We just launched daily 5 and have been doing it 7 days. It does seem like they go up and down a little bit to begin with. But I was surprised how fast we are building stamina. Yesterday and today we made it to 7 and 9 minutes. It has really worked to tell the kids that if we make it to our goal, we are done with read to self but if we don't make our goal, we will practice in our whole group and then try again.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I haven't started yet, but when I did it last year, I made sure to discuss with the kids what we did well and what we could work on. I always tried it at least 2 times each day for practice along with debriefing the kids. Good luck!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

We are up to six minutes. We did 5 mins for two days. It will get better as you keep reviewing those behaviors and modeling specific behaviors that need improvement.

6. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

We are up to 5 minutes...I did Day 3 on Monday (and have been out with my sick baby for 2 days :( So now we are behind). I really think my group is doing great considering they had very little structure in preK or K...working on something like this that requires so much quiet and self-control is going to take time. We will get up into the double digits someday :)

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

I am in a high-needs district where my kiddos have a very difficult time with doing anything independently. But WOW is this working for them!

We started 2 1/2 weeks ago, following the given schedule exactly. We are up to 20 minutes on read-to-self, flawlessly.

They are having a hard time still with work-on-writing, so I'm backtracking to allow them to just draw their stories for now (none of them can write anything more than their name without difficulty, 2 can't even write their names). They can do about 5 minutes of this successfully at this point.

I will be launching read-to-someone today.. not sure how that will go.

Definitely make sure to do tons of modeling, and if they don't start off right, call them all back, model again, and try again. This has been the key for us- making sure they are only practice the CORRECT ways.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

Puff...how long have you been in school? Since they are doing so well at this, your group really needed the Daily 5.

We start school Sept 8. It will be my 2nd year with the Daily 5. Last year our stamina went something like this...4 minutes, 6 min., 3, 8, 12, 8, 8, 12, 12, 10, 12, 14, 15, 18, etc. But we fianlly made it to 22

9. old n new

old n new Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Thanks for posting that. We have really been going up and down on our stamina. I should be keeping track and then I will know a little more of what to expect next year. We are really going up and down between 8 and 11 minutes right now. (We just finished day 10.) Looks like that is kind of what yours was last year.

10. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

Is anyone worried about getting their small groups started. I know it will help to have this in place. I see the benefits. We are up to 10 minutes on read to self and 5 minutes on Work on Writing. But I worry about my small groups not starting right away. Am I not being patient enough?

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

We don't start small groups until after we DRA (after the first 6 weeks of school).

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

The first grades in my school are all doing it and it is working fabulously! I have read about the D5, so I think I want to go observe in one of the first grade rooms to see how it works.

13. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I read Daily 5 this summer and I can't wait to try it in my own class.

Were you able to run the program as it's in the book? How did you small groups work?