Daily 5

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lifeisgood, Jun 24, 2008.

1. lifeisgood

lifeisgood New Member

Jun 24, 2008

Has anyone used the Daily 5 in kindergarten?
    If so, what are your thoughts?
    I am thinking about using it but have heard of first grade and up using it.
    Thanks!

3. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I used it last year and found it to be very successful! Very easy to manage and set up! I started using it the second half of the year around the beginning of January. The most helpful part of the book is the very back portion, where it is broken down day by day. The students got into the routine very quickly and by the end of the year, I was able to work with small groups for about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes without many problems. Depending on the level of my upcoming class, I am considering starting it earlier in the year.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

We started looking into it at the end of this school year and really liked it. We planned on implementing it this coming year...I think it will be really neat!!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

I just finished reading the book so I haven't had a chance to implement yet. I'm looking forward to hearing replies/discussion.

Those who have used it - how do you rotate your students? Do you use all 5? How much stamina do they build? Is it successful early in the year before most of them are really reading?

6. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Would someone explain what it is to me please? I'm interested!

7. devama

devama Companion

Jun 25, 2008

Yes, could we get the daily breakdown to see if we'd be interested? Thank you!

8. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

After five weeks of very explicit instruction, modeling, and practice, the students choose which of the Daily 5 they want to do. The Daily 5 consists of the following: Read to Self, Read With Someone, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading, and Word Work. The students knew they needed to go to each one every day. The students were free to choose where they wanted to complete each activity in the room. I had beanbags, a carpeted area, tables, etc. for the students to use. The best thing was they were actually engaged in reading and writing activities! I didn't have to assemble many materials because the students would read the books they had read during guided reading for Read to Self and Read With Someone. Each student had his or her own book box, which was an empty cereal box cut to look like a magazine holder! I have walkmans for the students to use for Listen to Reading, as well as a CD player with a splitter so two people can listen to the book if it is on CD. For Word Work, I used the typical materials, white boards, markers, magnetic letters, stamps, etc. For Work on Writing, each student had his or her own journal and I had an assortment of markers, pens, etc. for them to use.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

Check out www.thedailycafe.com. It is a subscription site, but there are many freebies that might help you get a better understanding of the Daily 5. :)

10. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Great website! The book is actually very affordable...I got it for less than $20.00!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I'm halfway through the book, and I'd like to use it in my classroom this year. I've seen it used very successfully in kindergarten classrooms. I can't really imagine doing literacy any other way-it's so well-rounded and practical.

12. lifeisgood

lifeisgood New Member

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks for all the feedback on the Daily 5. The website looks good and kinderkat did a great job summarizing the process. You had good practical ideas too. Thanks!