Daily 5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mandijyn, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Nov 10, 2011

I've been hearing a lot about the Daily 5 lately and started reading the book- I am just wondering if there are others out there who have implemented Daily 5 and what their experiences have been. I am considering using some of the strategies next year for my Kindergarten class.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

I would give some of the strategies a try. I use some pieces with my sixth graders even.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2011

Many users on A to Z use Dali 5. I have been using my own modified version of it for two and a half years now (or so) and I really like it. I find it's a great way to structure the class and manage small groups. I happen to love it.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Would you consider Daily 5 more of a strategy and not a reading curriculum, or does it have both?

My school is looking into having to change curriculums by 2014 in order to meet the new CC standards.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

Daily 5 is not really either a strategy or a curriculum. It is a model for teaching reading instead of workshop or centers.

The CAFE menu is a list of reading strategies that can be taught when using the Daily 5 or any other model for teaching reading.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Thank you. I was reading through the website and watching the videos (free ones) to see how it is implemented. I'm thinking of getting the books and reading through them to see if the strategies are ones that I can use with the time I have for workshop.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

The strategies are definitely user friendly and great for the kids.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2011

I find Daily 5 amazing! It's a structure that has changed my reading instruction.

Try some of the Daily 5 yet this year. I started mid-year with 2nd graders. I implemented read to self first and loved it so much I added work work. By beginning mid-year, it allowed me to get a grasp of the whole picture. I could plan over the summer better.

You will find past posts on here too to read.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2011

I implemented it mid-year as well. I love the structure, and it works very well with our new state requirements for whole-group and small-group instruction. You can modify some of the elements and use them with a specific curriculum (if you're required to use a basal, for example).

11. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Nov 13, 2011

This is my 3rd year using my version of Daily 5 and it works extremely well. I love the structure and I see lots of good progress with my class. It is something that can be easily tweaked. My class this year is VERY SLOW to complete work as a group, and this works well so that the two quickest can be challenged in other ways.

12. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for the input, I may try and start some of the D5 ideas this year!