daily 5 word work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 12, 2014.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2014

Okay...the control freak in me is coming out.....I try to suppress her but its just not working! :eek:

How do you organize word work during our daily five?
    The book seems to very "open ended" as far as having allllll of the working with words materials out and letting the kids do what they like. That seems like a lot to me and I think I need more structure.

I was just wondering if anyone has any kind of rotation (stamps on Monday, magnet letters on Tuesday etc...) or choice with in choice ideas to keep it manageable.

Thanks!

3. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 13, 2014

The easiest system I've seen was from a teacher who rotated groups of students at each table to do only one center each day. Example - group A does word work on Monday for 20 mins (we didnt have much time for centers, so it worked out). Then group B did word work work on Tuesday, and so on. Meanwhile, the other groups did other daily 5 activities, and the teacher met with groups. I think having kiddos choose their activities every day would be ideal, but it IS difficult for a number of reasons, so many teachers don't go there.

4. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Sep 13, 2014

I just started Word Work this week. I have 20 kiddos. I don't have enough of one type of material to let them all do the same thing at once, so I just called 5 at a time to pick their choice, explaining that each day they should pick something different. It really worked well. We will see what happens when I am not micromanaging it and they get to choose their rotation, but so far so good.

I have about 2 of each option (magnets, stamps, sandpaper, magna doodle, sand boxes,) and enough dry erase boards that anyone can choose those.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

I leave their options open, since D5 is big on student choice.

I usually have some materials out that they can use to build our weekly words (stamps, wikki stix, etc.). I also have a few choices that are focused on current skills we are working on (compound words, apostrophes, etc.). I will sometimes say "Work on this activity first," but they usually choose what they're doing.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 13, 2014

I do our Words Their Way sorts.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2014

I have tubs with materials in it.
    One child per tub.
    One kind of material per tub.
    one tub stamps and paper
    one tub pip cleaners
    one tub play dough
    etc.
    I think I have 12 tubs.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2014

Thanks, Rabbitt. I was thinking of something along those lines. Choice with in choice, not a free for all.
    Right now I have some pre made literacy/phonics games, magna doodle boards, 2 computers I can pull up with starfall or another site (suggestions welcome!), letter magnets and tiles.

Any other ideas to rotate through? I was thinking I def. need some stamps, maybe the dough stampers with play dough?

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

The stamps honestly drive me a bit crazy (and they're messy), and so does play-dough. My classroom is so structured, and I go over the expectations until my head hurts, but I've always taken these 2 items away a week or two in. Last year I didn't even introduce them. I'm sure they work well for some classes/kids, though!

Things I've liked: Wikki Stix or Bendaroos, small rocks (like the kind you put in decorative vases) for "Rock Writing," small shells (at craft stores) for "Shell Spell," and my mind is blanking on the other things. ;) I have a lot of paper activities, and things that I found on TPT. I have a bunch of these laminated and put on a binder ring:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/52-Spelling-Center-Activity-Cards-260339

My kids really enjoy some of these:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spelling-Word-Work-17-printable-worksheets-588248

And I love this one:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Spelling-How-Much-is-Your-Word-Worth-243744

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 14, 2014

Abcya.com has some good games too. :)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

I create a word work menu for the week. I have the materials in their place, but usually there´s only enough for 6 to do at a time, so if a word work activity is not available, they have to choose a different one.

12. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 18, 2014

They need activities that will last about 15 minutes so (and we just started this week). I tell them: 1. Do your sort from Words their way, 2. do an activity to practice spelling words (rainbow write, wikki sticks, stamps, still thinking up more... :) ), and then if time 3. My other fun game things that have something to do with words (like lakeshore word puzzles or word searches).