Daily 5 with LITERACY FIRST?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

I'll be surprised if I get an answer to this thread, sometimes I think I'm the only teacher who uses Literacy First (it's NOT my choice, I have to....:mad:)

Anyway, I know very little about The Daily Five, but I keep hearing great things about it. Does anyone know if this will fit in with Literacy First, which is "super-structured?"

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

Can you explain some of the structure of Literacy First? It's possible you could adapt the Daily Five somewhat, but with a super-structured program, it will be difficult to fully incorporate the Daily Five, I suspect.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

We have a total of 2 hrs and 20 min/day:

60 min whole group
    60 min small groups (with centers running)
    20 min independent reading

In whole group, it's about 20 min read-aloud fiction, 20 minutes read-aloud non fiction, and some word wall and vocab thrown in. It's so limiting!!

Center time is pretty self-explanatory. I run 3 groups for 20 minutes each. The kids circulate in 6-8 centers, depending on what I have running (reading, writing, vocab, word study, fluency, research, etc.) They go to each center for 2 days.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

Are the centres that you use mandatory according to the Literacy First regulations? Or are they just centres that you put together in order to do the small group work that is required by Literacy First?

If it is the latter, you could do the Daily Five as your centres instead. I only do three rotations each day anyway, so while your rotations would be shorter, you could at least give it a try.

The other thing I would suggest (again, if possible) is to break up the whole group literacy and small group literacy a bit. Do a 5-10 minute minilesson (whole group - taken from the Literacy First curriculum) then do 20 minutes of small group work. Then another minilesson, followed by 20 more minutes of small group work. Then you can do a 30 - 45 minute whole group lesson to finish up the whole group section.

The independent reading could also be incorporated into the Daily Five (read to self)... I make sure that my students Read to Self, and Work on Writing every single day, and then the third choice is their free choice. If you do this as well, then every student will have had their 20 minutes of independent reading already through their centre time, and then that gives you another 20 minutes that you can be flexible with.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2010

I'm pretty sure you could incorporate some of the management ideas from Daily 5 into your program.

7. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

I have no answer but I want to thank you for asking this. I feel the same way.

Some many on AtoZ talk about the Daily 5 but because we're been a Reading First school since I started teaching, I've never researched it. I hear others talk about how great it is but I've never thought I'd be able to use it.