Daily 5 Struggles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Roobunny, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 30, 2013

Last year I used Daily 5 and it ran beautifully. It took about 6-7ish weeks to get all my stations up and running and at a point where the kids used them independently. I did have the occasional child who wouldn't quite remember what his/her job was, but other than that it was awesome. I was so proud of how it all ran so nicely...

And now this....

I am STILL on Read to Self. We were FINALLY able to hit our goal of 20 minutes (although I caught one child napping instead of reading and another crawling around the room), but I really wanted my kids to meet their goal so I went ahead and gave it to them. I am now debating on whether or not I still want to practice building our Read to Self stamina or move on to Read to Someone - my class is VERY talkative so I am quite leery of this next station.

I am so disappointed. My class is a handful this year, but I didn't think we would be as far behind as we are.

I'd hate to cut out Daily 5...it runs so great when the students do what they are supposed to; however, I am not sure it's going to work this year.

What are your suggestions? Has anyone been in my situation in the past - a very difficult to manage class? Do you still do Daily 5 or is there some sort of alternative?

:(

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 30, 2013

I had a difficult class last year and we did Daily 5. We never read for 20 minutes. 10 - 15 MAX. I also ran listen to reading during Read to Self, so I had at least 4 kids totally engaged, plus a group with me, so only a handful were actually doing read to self at one time. (I don't give my kids choices during Daily 5, we all do everything at the same time).

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 30, 2013

I expect perfection and don't settle for anything less. It's a headache, but it makes things so much easier later on.

5. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 30, 2013

My frustration is that I REALLY need to start guided reading. I have one ELL who needs me NOW, so I pull him in the mornings (when I can) and while we practice building stamina, I meet again with him a bit more.

Although he needs me most, I have quiet a few others who are way behind...ugh. It's really killing me :dizzy:

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 30, 2013

If your class is super talkative maybe they need more Read to Someone. I would start introducing new tasks and you can easily do a Guided Reading lesson in 15-20 minutes. Honestly, they could also be getting bored. Keep practicing, but give them more to do. Accept that it might not look perfect this year. Last year I had to adjust my expectations to what was reasonable for the group.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2013

I waited for about 8 minutes of good stamina.
    Then I introduced my other rotations.

After about 3 weeks I started pulling groups. We aren't perfect. Our stamina isn't 100%. I tend to get a lot of sped/behavior issues/etc so I can't wait around waiting for some of these guys to get it.

2 days a week I have a parent do a word work group. That means a few kids are 100% engaged with me, and 5-7 are 100% engaged with her. Throw a few more on the computers for listen to reading and we're at half the class. That makes it easier for the rest to have better stamina at read to self and read with someone.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2013

Try some of the stamina building whole group.
    Such as word work with marker boards.
    Listening to you read aloud.

I would also look deeper at the what they are reading. Is it truly a good fit book? Try lots of non-fiction.

Last year I had a student who switched mid-round. Our round was 20 minutes. She would read to self 10 min and then word work 10 min. Next round...read to self 10 min and word work 10 min.

9. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 4, 2013

I like this idea. It's mainly one student in particular who can't stay on task for the entire 20 minutes.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

Ditto

I had a really tough class 2 years ago, and I was very strict when building stamina. It took us about 7 weeks to get where we needed to be, but it was well worth it. They needed to be trained to work independently, which allowed me to work with small groups with no interruptions. The only time I spent re-teaching was after winter break. Other than that, they were ready to go for the whole year.

So, I would advocate for sticking with it and spending an extra week on building stamina.

11. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 6, 2013

I had a student raise her hand the other day and ask, "Why do we do better during DEAR time than Daily 5?" Good question!

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

Out of curiosity, why do you do both? That seems like a lot of independent reading.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2013

I suggest pulling one or two of your most off-task students during D5 and having them sit on either side of your group table when you are doing your reading group. I had a boy with ADHD and he never could function independently 100% of the time. When he was way too energetic and bothering others, I would have him do just what I am suggesting. I have also done that with two at the same time, but each on one side of me.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2013

I´m wondering the same thing. You wouldn´t need to do DEAR if you have self-reading in the D5.

15. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 7, 2013

I don't get to D5 every day, so the days we do not get to it, I incorporate DEAR into the schedule.

Last year I used DEAR as a time to conference with students and make sure they were choosing "just right" books. It was also a time for me to meet with my advanced readers as it was near impossible for me to meet with them otherwise.