Daily 5 Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by blue678, Mar 19, 2011.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Mar 19, 2011

Does anyone know if there's a good book/resource out there on the concept of Daily 5 for Math? I've found websites, etc. of teachers who are trying things, but I haven't found a book yet...

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

I know that the sisters are writing a book for math, but I'm not sure if it is published yet. However, their website might be the most helpful: http://www.thedailycafe.com/

They are very good on answering questions on everything Daily 5 and CAFE.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2011

I created my own.
    While I teach a small group on current topics, the others are working on math facts, previous concept, or math games/problem solving. It's more like centers but we created I-charts and such for expectations. I keep it to 15 minutes or an hour per day and do not do the mini lessons.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 20, 2011

There's no book, and while I've heard rumours of a book coming out, the sisters themselves have said that the next book will address the first six weeks of Daily Five.

There is a lot of information on the website that mopar posted. Overall, as much as I love what the sisters do with Literacy, I'm not all that impressed with their Math Daily Five...

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2011

7. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Mar 20, 2011

I also created my own rotations and did it very similar to Daily 5. I have them use Versa-Tiles, solve problems on white boards, work on a specific math game on the computers, a worksheet, and have them work on a game or something that I incorporate depending on our math skill, and then of course one of the rotations is to work with me.

I have a spread sheet that lists the rotations and each of the kids are in a group color that I pre-determined. I actually use this for Daily 5 too, we tried it without and the kids actually like knowing where they need to go next. Anyway, it really doesn't take much to adapt the same concept to math :)

8. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Mar 23, 2011