Daily 5/Daily CAFE

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nattles19, Apr 9, 2009.

1. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

I'm wondering if there is any interest in starting a book group on this topic?

The Daily Five has been spreading like wildfire through my school. I've just ordered the Daily CAFE book and can't wait to read it and prepare to implement it in my classroom next year.

Just from previewing it online I know I'd benefit from discussing the ideas they suggest with others elementary ed. teachers.

Thoughts?

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

I'm in! I love The Daily 5 and just ordered The Daily CAFE book as well!

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

That's a start! If this doesn't go anywhere, at least I know there's someone else interested in discussing it. :)

Did you check out the DVD set they're offering on setting up your classroom? I watched the sample video and I was so intrigued. But...it's too expensive for me to justify buying. And, I'm already in my classroom way too much on the weekends playing around with organization, etc - creating the classroom environment is half the fun of teaching for me!

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

I have been trying to start one at my school! I'm totally in!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

Absolutely!!!! Love love the Daily 5 and also just ordered the Daily CAFE! YAYYYYYYYY~!

7. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

I just attended a short inservice on daily 5, and also signed up to take a summer inservice (full day). I'm interested, but won't have a book for awhile. But I'd love to hear others' ideas!

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 10, 2009

WHat age classes would you think daily 5 is good for?

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

I use it and I teach first. I also work with a fourth grade class, our students buddy read together. They use it religiously as well. It is so easy, really meaningful practice. It cuts down on planning and all of my students become teachers because they "coach" their partner when they come to a word that they don't know. I don't have the CAFE book, and must be behind the times, but definitely am looking into it. I am trying it chunks at a time. I do the reading part of the daily 5 but not the writin part yet. I have taken the idea of mini- lessons with practice for writing but haven't actually applied it fully.
    I think that it would be great for second graders! If my first grade students can do it, then I think it definitely would work for you!

10. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Apr 10, 2009

I am in. I use the D5 in my K-1 classroom and Amazon shipped the CAFE book out today.

11. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

Just came out. :)

You can preview the whole book online at the publisher's website. I got halfway through and decided to just buy it!

I use the 3 reading activities in my 3rd grade classroom. A teacher at my school uses it in 4th.

12. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Apr 10, 2009

i use it for third. however, i can't fit all five in one day. so i have them pick three. they love the choice.

i'm previewing the cafe book now. so excited!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2009

I do 3 as well. Count me in!

14. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Apr 11, 2009

I'm interested. Amazon shipped my copy of CAFE today as well.

I've incorporated the Daily 5 into my schedule this year and it has been a big success. Definitely something that I'm going to keep doing next year. I've had to modify it some to fit my reading block, but the way I have done it has worked.

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

We're actually doing it as a book club discussion at my school. I read the book last summer but didn't implement it this year. I am planning to implement a "Daily 3" next year in my K class. I'm hoping some other teachers at school will be on board after we discuss it.

16. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Apr 11, 2009

Well, I'm definitely interested in both of these books. I have no experience with either, but this thread has piqued my interest. I'm definitely looking for help with my reading block and it has been difficult for me to manage and organize small groups. I gave up on small groups this year because my class is "that" class that just doesn't quit. They are a difficult group and I wish I was aware of The Daily 5 prior to this thread. I just got on Amazon and ordered both books. I also looked into the websites associated with these books. I'd love to hear feedback from others on what works for them in their classroom. I plan on implementing The Daily 5 in the fall with my new group of students.

17. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 11, 2009

I have hated my literacy block ever since I started teaching. Every year I try something different and get overwhelmed with the amount of prep I have to do, not to mention the stack of papers that are the aftermath of literacy centers. Do I grade them? Just check them for effort? I did not want my students doing busywork but it was tough to come up with interesting centers that did not result in a bunch of worksheets. And, where would I store them all?

Managing the kids was awful too. Who's supposed to be where, when and doing what?

Then I discovered the Daily 5 this year. When I told my students that we were going to try another system for literacy (the third one of the year, by the way, and it was only October!) one of my students said,

"Do we actually get to read?"

Then I realized - to me it seemed like that block was reading time, because I was meeting with guided reading groups. To my students, it wasn't. How wonderful that they were CRAVING more time to just READ. And that's what the Daily 5 system lets them do!

I also find myself moving more from guided reading groups to reading conferences. That's why I'm so excited about the new book. It was so cool reading about the "Pensieve". There's so much in there that I'm already using in my assessment notebook now, so I feel it will be doable. I think I'll understand my students as readers so much better, and give me a focus for reading with them.

Sorry for the super long post. I'm going to inquire about getting this shifted over, so threads can be narrowed down a bit. Ooh, I already want to start one on sharing ideas on how kids choose where to go. Don't let me forget! :thumb:

18. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

I'm on the Stenhouse Publishers website and i can only preview the introduction chapter :(

Is there another place to look at more of this book? (It'll take me a few weeks to get it shipped to me). Thanks!

19. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 11, 2009

I went to Stenhouse Publishers, clicked "Preview the book online" then "Browse the entire book online".

It's a weird application. If you move your mouse to the right of the page, there's an arrow you can click on to turn the page. You can also zoom in and out. Did you find the arrow to turn the page?

20. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 11, 2009

I've heard the term "Daily 5" but never knew anything more about it except that it had something to do with literacy. Seeing this thread piqued my interest too! I just ordered the D5 book and think I'll study up on that first! I'm real excited.

I also did some reading up at: http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=64 to get more info about it. I can't wait for my book to come!

21. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 11, 2009

22. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

I just ordered the CAFE book! I even previewed the entire thing and still ordered it! My husband doesn't understand but I bet you definitely do!

23. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 12, 2009

Thanks for the link to the online book. I wasn't thinking last night and was trying to find the Daily 5 book online (where only an intro chapter is available) instead of the CAFE book. Now that I'm reading the CAFE book, I just need to get my hands on the Daily 5 :)

I'm gathering that these 2 books are meant to be implemented together... yes?

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2009

I would assume so, but I had never heard of the Cafe book until this thread and had only done the Daily 5 (well 3 for me). So they can probably be implemented individually but my guess is they work together nicely :)

25. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

I think they could be, but don't have to be.

Daily 5 is more of a management strategy for literacy. It answers the question of what your other students are doing while you work with individuals or small groups.

CAFE is focused on reading instruction and assessment.

26. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 12, 2009

I know that Daily 5 came out before the CAFE book. Would you recommend reading and implementing the Daily 5 first and then CAFE afterwards? Or do it simultaneously? Or would that be overwhelming?

27. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

My personal opinion would be to start with the Daily 5 first. Unless you already have a management system in place for literacy that you really like. I hated mine, so was happy for something easy to switch to.

I would not see using them simultaneously as being overwhelming. You'd want to start the Daily 5 procedures and get them solidly in place before beginning any literacy instruction with groups anyway, so why not? :D

The Daily 5 is a quick, easy read. It's also easy to get up and running in your classroom. I'm thinking the CAFE book is going to require more brain cells on my part - Which is why I want to start this book group!

28. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 13, 2009

Thanks for the info! I ordered my D5 book this weekend and am looking forward to reading it. I think I'll put CAFE on hold until I get an understanding of D5 first.

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2009

nattles- I think we have enough interest for a book group:) You should contact Amanda or the mods to get it started!

Now yu have me thinking about getting the CAFE book too.

And, if you didn't know this already, you can sign upfor weekly tips from The Two Sisters on their website. They are interesting and helpful! I love reading them and have a special folder in my inbox to save them :)

30. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 13, 2009

I have contacted the powers that be and am eagerly awaiting their approval. This is really exciting! It's such a great time of year to be doing this - when we're all thinking back to what's worked and what we want to improve.

I wish I could justify spending the big bucks to have access to their materials online, but I have a feeling a lot of it will be in their book. I'm very curious to hear more about what they say about classroom environment. I think I will sign up for the tips - it's good to hear you find them helpful and not just inbox clutter. :)

31. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 15, 2009

Another teacher has the cafe book and the online subscription. She said it is very useful online because you can actually see how it works and it also has trouble shooting tips. I want to beg my principal to buy a subscription for me!!!!!

Also thanks for starting up withthe idea for a book club!!! WOuld it be on the daily 5 or CAFE or both?

32. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 15, 2009

Both. I've been doing the Daily 5 all year and still have questions about how it looks in other people's classrooms.

And I know I'm going to want to have someone to talk about the CAFE book while I'm reading it this summer!

I am really excited for my copy to come. :D

33. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Apr 16, 2009

Question

Hope this isn't a hijack, but I have a question. I'm really interested in starting this next year....what kind of things would you suggest I include in my budget that I will need to do Daily 5? I'm asking because my initial budget is due next week. :confused:
    I teach 5th and 6th.

34. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 16, 2009

I don't think that there are things that you NEED to buy other than what you probably have in your classroom already. At least I teach first and I think I had EVERYTHING that I needed already in my classroom.

To give you an idea of the item that I chose to elaborate the most...
    Working with words, my kids have a lot of manipulatives. I have 8 drawers in plastic organizers full of items for this. The drawers are color coded so that the students know what is appropriate for them. We have vowels, sight words, spelling patterns, homophones, compound words etc. They have laminated games, gel bags, magnetic letters, wiki sticks, beans etc. in each of the drawers.

Ideas of things you MIGHT want (5-6th graders are like aliens to me, I don't know what motivates them)
    Maybe organizational things?
    Maybe some books with word games?
    Maybe something to organize and keep the student's individual books in?
    Maybe high interest materials to use when they publish during writing (special pens, markers etc.)
    Maybe journals for the writing rotation or journals for working with words?
    Maybe chapter books on CD?
    Individual CD players.
    Comfortable things to sit/ read on like bean bag chairs, pillows etc.
    A mountain of books!

35. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 17, 2009

I got my book yesterday!! So excited. It is an easy read, just like the Daily 5.

Now I just want to hear back about our book group, so we can start getting some more specific threads up! :)

36. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 26, 2009

37. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

Thanks! I just signed up!

38. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

I put in a request via the "Contact Us" form, but haven't heard anything yet. :dunno:

39. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 26, 2009

:cool:Thanks nattles19 for trying to get this started! I just thought I'd post the other forum link for anyone interested . . . and keep this thread active.

40. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

Maybe we can just start individual threads like daily 5 management, daily 5 questions, daily 5 organization, daily 5 etc.

And also do the same thing for CAFE. This way it will keep it organized on the board.

41. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

Thank you to you, too, 4alicat! I appreciate you keeping the thread active. :)

Also, I checked out that other forum. What a wealth of information and ideas!!