Daily 5/ Cafe start up questions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by deweyteach, Jun 27, 2011.

1. deweyteach

deweyteach Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

Hey all-
    I'll be starting my second year of teaching (fourth grade) in the fall and I'm reading The Daily 5 and Cafe Book this summer. I'd like to do it use the Sisters' approach this coming year, but have a number of questions.
    1. Is the Dailycafe website worth $69 a year?
    2. Daily 5 makes COMPLETE sense to me and I'm in no way reluctant to do it (although I think I'll be doing Daily 3 as the Sisters recommend with older kids), but the addition of the Cafe menu I find a little overwhelming. Would there be a good argument for doing Daily 5 in the first half of the year and then instituting Cafe later?
    3. What else should I be asking you more experienced folks? Feel free to offer an advice you can think of about Daily 5/Cafe.
    Thanks, all, for your help and feedback.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I think that you could implement the Daily 5 or 3 and add in CAFE when you feel comfortable. The only thing that you would need to consider until you add in CAFE is how you will provide reading instruction.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

I used the website LOTS my first year but now not so much. Is there anyone you can share it with?

If you do not use CAFE, you will probably only have time for Daily 3 or even 2 because you will be doing reading instruction....Unless you instruct reading as small group instead of CAFE conferences.

Our 4th and 5th grade rooms use all of the Daily 5 components nearly daily.

5. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

I don't think you need access to the website. Sometimes I think it would be nice (like when I found the free and revised CAFE menu on their website and went to click on other things that looked interesting, but couldn't access because I was not a member), but I don't think it's necessary.

IMO, CAFE has the greatest power to affect learning in your classroom. It is the instruction. Daily 5 is an organizational system only. Implementing Daily 5 helped me to give increased time for literacy and gave structure to that time. If I had to pick between the two, I would pick CAFE. But, the nice thing is that you don't have to pick. Use both and find what works best for you. I do Daily 3, teach a CAFE mini lesson 3-4 times a week (depending on the week) and hold individual student conferences 3-4 times a week (again, depending on the week).

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

The website is very beneficial because there are TONS of ideas, videos and printables that will help you get started. I think you would be fine doing the 3 month subscription though.

7. beanie

beanie Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

Because I don't have any access to PD on Daily 5 or CAFE because I am in Australia, I have purchased access to the Website - and find it extremely valuable. I am able to claim it on tax as a subscription and also share it with my Teaching buddy...

8. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I did Daily 5 this year and used the CAFE. I used it for all my lessons, I think it made it really easy. They have a guide at the back for how and when to introduce strategies. I didn't use the website at all.

9. deweyteach

deweyteach Rookie

Jul 4, 2011

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I think I'm going to join the site and I hope it'll give me the confidence I need to use CAFE at the year's start.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

I asked the same question to teachers at my school and they all told me it was a waste to pay for the site. If you have the two books you will be fine.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2011

Good luck! I hope that it is valuable information for you!