Daily 5 book storage

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Curiouscat, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I have started using Daily 5 in a limited manner. Last year the students stored their books in a ziplock bag. This, of course, had issues. I see some teachers use plastic bins or magazine holders instead.

I really can't afford either one right now. Plus, storage for all of these bins/ boxes is limited. Any ideas or suggestions? I am sure the obvious is alluding me because I am over thinking this:huh:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I have lots of those cloth grocery bags that were donated to the school. I'm going to use those this year because they hang nicely on the back of the chairs and the kids won't have to get up every time they need their book (which may lead to more reading ?!)

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

Clothe bags, what a novel, great idea! I've seen them for .50 and 1.00 in the stores--especially like Albertsons. Another great idea to ask parents to donate. =]

5. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Walmart is usually pretty good about donating things if you bring them a request on school letterhead.

7. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 30, 2012

Cereal boxes with the tops cut off and then covered in butcher paper might work.

8. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

A few of colleagues and I bought cloth tote bags from Oriental Trading and we are going to use those to keep all of their books and stuff in. We even made cool PVC pipe stands to hang them on when the kids aren't in the room.

Last year we bought the cardboard browsing boxes from Ikea.. never again.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2012

These worked fairly well for me my first year.
    I used duct tape to reinforce all the boxes.
    If you go this route, genertic boxes are too weak.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

We've used the cardboard IKEA boxes for a few years now without any problems. We did reinforce the bottoms with clear packing tape and modeled at the beginning of the year how to carry them, etc. Only a few needed tape repairs during the year.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 31, 2012

You're fortunate if you are able to get something from them. We've tried each year to get something, but it's the schools that are closer to the store that get the "free" or donated items first. We figured this out a few years ago by accident. My colleague and I had been standing in line at Walmart to ask for donated supplies and overheard the manager say to the clerks that only schools within the radius of the map got the supplies. We left with our pride intact and decided that we'd just ask parents instead. We'll see how this year goes!

12. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

Thank you to everyone for chiming in!!! I was in Dollas Tree today and their baby diaper bags caught my eye. (No, they don't look babyish either:)) They even have a couple of outside pockets that may work well for pencils or something. Tomorrow I am going to the Dollar Tree close to my school to ask for a donation or discount.
    Thank you again to everyone for helping!!!