Daily 5 and The CAFE for Upper Grades

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, Jul 3, 2012.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

Not sure how many of you use the Daily 5 and The CAFE for upper classrooms. However, there is an amazing book study going on right now all online for teachers who have used it or are interested in using it. Check out the blog called We Read, We Blog, We Teach.
    wereadweblogweteach dot com

So far so many people are posting in the comments and it has only just begun. :thumb:

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

Bump.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

What does "Bump" mean? This is the second time I've seen it in a post.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

It helps the post move closer to the top so others can see it. :)

6. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

Cool. I just ordered this book and can't wait to implement it this year.

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

I have the book at school, packed in a box and so wish I had it so I could reference it while I start to look at my reading block next year. I've just started doing research online so I can figure out HOW to use it with my 4th graders, as well as incorporate it into the reading basal, which we are expected to use.

One setup that I was reading about had the schedule set up where the teacher did a 10-15 minute whole class mini-lesson and then pulled a 20-25 minute small group while the rest of the class chose to read to self, read to partner, work work or writing. They also would confer with 3-4 students (progress, assess, discuss goals, etc. Then they did another 10-15 mini-lesson, pulled a group, while the others chose a different option from the first round. Then they repeated the process one more time and the students had to choose a different option from the previous two rounds. For the final 10 minutes, the class comes back together and shares reading strategies they used or answer a question, etc.

I like this structure because it allows the students to work independently for a short period of time and then you pull them back to teach another skill or review a previous skill. They're not given too much independent time where they could lose focus, misbehave, or waste time. They have assignments to complete during the independent time to keep them accountable. I don't know about doing three rounds during our 90 minute reading block because I'd be worried about trying to squeeze in too much so I might just do two rounds. Plus, I'd have to do the basal story Monday-Tuesday and then I could spend Wednesday-Friday doing small groups, and students would have to read their leveled reader (that's tied to the basal) and then they could choose a book of their choice to practice the skills after they've completed each of the assigned areas (read to self, partner, word work, writing).

This is the first thing I came across and am still doing more research but thought I'd share what I'd come across so far.