Daily 5 & 6+1 Traits

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Apr 16, 2009.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 16, 2009

I have just finished reading the 6+1 Traits book and have the trait crate coming, along with many additional resources for that program. Now i'm hearing about Daily 5 and it sounds wonderful. Can anyone tell me if these programs would work together?

I teach grade 3 and currently have a scheme that I follow where we read an excerpt and then follow a guide of reading and writing activities for the entire week. I hate it, but need to follow it at least a bit. I want to do the minimum of that and supplement with "free choice" writing activities once every week or two (because my scheme has writing activities already prescribed and I "need" to use some of those). I currently do a poor job of guided reading and think Daily 5 would help manage the rest of the group.

Any ideas? I want to order the Daily 5 book, but only if it will be useful with 6+1 Traits, rather then the 2 activities competing with each other. I understand that there is no perfect program, and i am one to draw from many resources and make much of my own.

3. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Apr 16, 2009

Neither the Daily 5, nor 6Traits +1 is a curriculum. Both programs are simply management structures to help you teach your own mandated curriculum.

So, no, they would not compete and yes, they could (and do, in many places) work very well together. Go ahead and order the book - I LOVE it! :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

Can anyone let us know the name(s) of the book(s) you are talking about here? I'd like to at least look into them!

5. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Apr 16, 2009

The book is The Daily 5. I just bought it and am excited to get started with it.

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 16, 2009

As others have said, the Daily 5 is a management system for what kids do during guided reading time. Their CAFE menu is the content for guided reading groups and mini-lessons.

I have used the D5 concept and the CAFE bulletin board concept for my writing time as well. I teach Lucy Calkins. We worked through I-charts for what writing time looks like. I pull groups during this time. We add things to a 6+1 trait menu with things we learn in small groups.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 16, 2009

I absolutely LOVE the Trait Crate I have! One of my favorite education tools that I've ever purchased I think.

I really don't know enough about the Daily 5 to comment, but I had to say that you will absolutely LOVE your trait crate!

8. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 16, 2009

The books that I was asking about are "6+1 Traits of Writing" by Ruth Culham (although are there other authors of the same concept?? See www.thetraits.org). "The Daily 5" is by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser and have a website www.the2sisters.com.