Dad in Iraq

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by CRD3, Sep 7, 2009.

1. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

I have a 1st grade boy in my class whose father is in Iraq. Any ideas on what we could do with this as a class? The father left last Spring and will be gone until the end of the year. Any ideas would be great-thanks!

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I have a girl in my 1st grade class whose father also left last April. He should be back by this coming April (or certainly by the end of the school year).

A great idea is putting together a care package as a class. I'm sure his mom has info about what's allowed and what's not (or you could find it online). You can make cards in class and send home a list of things for parents to look for in stores to send in. The teacher I did my student teaching with did this for a dad in Iraq and it turned out really great! They sent a huge package over and he sent the class back a video of himself saying thanks, etc. Then at the end of the year, when he was back home, he came in again to say thank you and the kids got to ask him questions.

4. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I agree, cards and care packages are great!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

Also, you could ask him if he knows any soldiers in his unit who do not have much support from home, and your class could "adopt" that soldier as well. My preschool classes always did that. We'd make them cards and presents and things for holidays. My favorite we made was this giant flag with the red stripes made of hand prints and the kids cut out the stars themselves. We took a picture of our class holding the flag, and then mailed him the flag and the picture. He mailed back a picture of his unit holding the flag over there, and thank you notes from some of his friends over there. My students always looked forward to getting and sending mail!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2009

My oldest son also would bring in pictures his dad took. They allowed him to use SS time for some show and tell. If he got a gift, he was allowed to show that off as well. For example, his dad sent him a paperweight with a desert scorpion in it.

MissCeliaB! What a great idea! Our class just made a huge paper flag. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I think now I will contact our base and see if they have ideas where I can send this flag. That would be cool for my students.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

That is what education is supposed to be like! With all the focus on standards and curriculum, we have forgotten that we are teaching children, and the teachable moment gets completely lost!

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

My husband is in Iraq, and my son is constantly talking to him on Yahoo! Messenger. He also has a webcam. I don't know if there is a way that your class could view him during the school day, when he could answer some questions, but that may be a way to incorporate ss into it. (family and communities).

I myself send 2-5 boxes a week, I know if my son's class offered to fill one or two of those occasionally i would be very grateful, and I know he loves getting stuff from the kiddos. My class packed a few boxes last year, and he hung the pictures in his wall locker.

9. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 12, 2009

I think all of the previous posts are all great ideas... How about doing a Flat Stanley and a disposable camera in a care package too, where the dad could take pictures of himself doing things with FS and then he could send it back! I saw once where a soldier made a powerpoint for his son's class with Flat Stanley! It all depends on the soldier!

10. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Sep 18, 2009

Breakfast bars!

My friend's son was in Iraq, and that's what she said he most wanted. Each child in my class brought in a box. He would keep them in his pocket for nourishment throughout the day.
    When other people hear about what we were doing, they would put them in our collection boxes. We got so many, that he was able to share them with his fellow soldiers.
    His parents said mailing was expensive and wanted to pay the postage, so we split it.