Dad has cancer...

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Amanda, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Nov 7, 2005

My dad just found out last week that he has prostate cancer. This is something he's been kind of expecting because his father and other relatives had it, but they were much older. He wasn't expecting it at age 60.

I believe they still consider it to be in an early stage, but it's on the upper end of that range. There is a 30% chance that the cancer may have spread into other areas, but the good news is that prostate cancer usually is not a fast growing cancer and the treatment options are good. Please pray that the cancer is contained and that my dad and mom will be able to decide on the best treatment and doctor.

Also pray that something good will come out of this - I know that everything happens for a reason, and I pray that my dad will have faith and be open to learn what God is wanting to teach him through this.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2005

Oh, Amanda, I'm so sorry. My boyfriend went through this last year with his father's lung cancer.
    The good news is, that there are many, many survival stories about people with all forms of cancer. Try to stay optimistic. I pray that your parents are able to as well.
    You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2005

Amanda, I am sorry to hear about your dad!! I will pray for all of you in this time worry. A father of some kids at my school just found out he too has prostate cancer.....he is only 42. I will add your dad to our prayer list at school!! Blessings!!

5. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Nov 7, 2005

I will pray for your dad Amanda...

6. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Nov 7, 2005

You and your family are in my prayers. My grandfather had prostate cancer last year. They decided to use the seed implants for his treatment. He did very well. He's in his mid-70s, and he is cancer free now!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 7, 2005

Amanda - I am sorry to hear about your father's illness. It is a difficult thing for an adult "child" to see her parent suffering. I have been there already.

My dad had prostate cancer about ten years or more ago. He lives on the farm in Iowa and went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, for treatment. He was not used to being ill, so it took him a while to recover. But, he is doing just fine now - no problems from the surgery at all. At age 86, he just took a 3000 mile trip out west two months ago, by himself, just driving around visiting relatives and seeing the sites.

I will pray for a quick recovery from this illness for your father and strength for the rest of your family.

8. Amanda

Nov 7, 2005

Thanks for the replies and for your prayers! :love:

That's good news about your dad, Glenda. My brother found a top ranked doctor not too far away from us in St. Louis, but my dad's dr. today was recommending someone else in Kansas City w/o as much experience. My brother and I are trying to convince them to go with the best. They are considering the laparoscopic surgery that is a lot more delicate and hard to do. I think they are really confused.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 7, 2005

Amanda I will keep you and your dad in my prayers. Get second opinions and ask around to see who others recommend. My mom is a lung cancer survivor and I know how hard it is to watch a parent go through this.

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2005

Prayers are being sent your way...:angel:

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 8, 2005

Amanda, I am so sorry to hear that about your dad. I will keep him and the rest of your family in my prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
    Hugs!
    Christy

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 8, 2005

I will keep your dad in my prayers. Think positive. Prostate cancer is often successfully treated.

13. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Nov 8, 2005

Thoughts and prayers from Texas!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 8, 2005

Just typing the title "Dad has cancer.." has got to be heartwrenching. Prayers for your dad, you, and your family. I'm glad it was caught at the early stage. Wishing for a full recovery.

15. Amanda

Nov 8, 2005

Yeah, that is really strange! I'm trying to stay positive. I know prostate cancer is curable.

I just talked to my mom and Dad is having a hard time. He is naturally pessimistic and he's thinking the worst right now. My mom is usually really positive and I think he's pulling her into the negativity so they both need prayers for that. :love:

They got an appointment today with the doctor in St. Louis. I am glad to hear that he recommended an MRI to be sure the cancer has not spread. The other doctor left it at being "pretty sure" it was contained. I'm still trying to convince them to see another doctor locally just to get another perspective.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2005

Amanda, I am sorry to hear the news...we are experiencing that type of thing with my father in law...he just had surgery for cancer in his intestines and is home recovering. It puts the family in a state of unrest for awhile...Prayers are with you and your family to be strong and find the best care for him. I know Rochester is far for you(Mayo Clinic) but they have a reputation of being the best.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 8, 2005

Amanda, I put your dad and all of you on the prayer list at church. Could their preacher visit with them? Maybe the visit will help things go smoother. Many prayers and wishes are coming your way.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

Sending prayers your way for your dad & family!!!

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

Christy, what a thoughtful thing to do:).

I posted on your thread at HSS, but wanted to say again that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

20. Amanda

Nov 13, 2005

The doctor who they want to do the laproscopy ordered a bunch of tests for tomorrow. Before he does anything, he wants to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. They are doing a chest xray, bone scan and cat scan. I am praying that they won't be able to find anything. In fact, I'm praying that they won't be able to find the prostate cancer. I know God can work miracles, so I am praying for that.

Recently there was a boy at my brother's church who was diagnosed with leukemia, and after many people had been praying for him for 2 months, the doctors can't explain it - the leukemia is gone. My SIL had told me about this last week. They announced this at my church today, too, so I know many people had been praying for him.

I heard another praise report at my church today where someone had been diagnosed and then the tests couldn't find it... I realized today that I shouldn't limit my prayers because God has no limits.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 13, 2005

I'll be praying for a miracle tomorrow!

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 13, 2005

I hope everything goes well tomorrow

23. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2005

Amanda - I just saw a commercial for prostate cancer , the surgery they reccommended was cryosurgery- this was a different kind of treatment and was out pactient ..maybe something to look in to because it seemed to be less invasive.
    Hope all is well
    God Bless

24. Paulito

Paulito Rookie

Nov 26, 2005

Adding my prayer to the prayers of others....for inner strength and peace, and for a healing of this whether God uses His direct healing touch or medical treatments.

25. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 27, 2005

Keeping your and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hope things are going better.

26. Amanda

Nov 28, 2005

Thank you for all of the prayers!

We won't know anything new until December 13. That's when he will visit the doctor to look over all of the test results to see if he is a candidate for the laproscopic surgery. I think that the soonest he can have surgery is 2-3 weeks after that appointment. The waiting is hard!

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 28, 2005

Amanda - Yes, the waiting is difficult. You just want everything to be over and done with so that you can just put things behind you! I hope that things work out for the laproscopic surgery. I imagine that recovery would be much quicker and easier with that.

Continuing to pray for good news from the doctors and a successful surgery.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 28, 2005

Amanda-Just caught this one. I'm praying for you.

I just went through the same thing with my father with colon cancer. We found out May 18th, he had surgery on May 24th. They removed a tumor the size of a melon. They had no idea it was that bad. He's proof prayer works. The cancer hadn't spread to the walls of the colon. What a blessing.

We knew he had been sick, but he's the type of man who doesn't let you in on how bad. We've been doing Chemo up until this point, and he finished with his last treatment 2 weeks ago. He goes for all the follow up tests on Wednesday.
    Please know my family will be praying for your father and your family during this time.

29. Amanda

Dec 16, 2005

My parents went for their appointment on December 13 and the tests all looked good. :) The doctor thinks the cancer is contained and scheduled the surgery for January 9. So... now we wait for the surgery.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2005

Good news Amanda! Your dad and family are still in my prayers!

31. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 16, 2005

Glad to hear that the tests are giving you some good news.
    The waiting will be burdensome, but after the surgery, you can breathe easy again. Prayers to you and your family.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2005

Oh December 13th is a great day!!! It is my mom's birthday!! :) Of course you would get good news on that day!!! Prayers for successful surgery and a speedy and easy recovery!

33. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 25, 2005

Sent a prayer to Heaven for you and your daddy....

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2005

I'm so glad you got such great news!! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers and hope that the surgery goes well!

35. Amanda

Dec 29, 2005

My mom got a call today from the doctor who scheduled the surgery for Jan. 9. They say they overbooked and can't get him in until Jan. 29. She wasn't at home when she got the message and hadn't told my dad yet. She was planning to call back once she got home to tell him about it. That's almost 3 weeks longer - Jan. 9th was already a long wait, so I'm not sure what they will do. Please pray for wisdom.

36. Amanda

Dec 29, 2005

Okay - Good news... The past 2 hours were crazy, but they were able to keep the same appointment for Jan 9. For some reason the nurse thought he had just had his pathology done and thought he could wait. :confused: My dad informed her that he had a Gleason 7, which means the cancer is a little more advanced than someone who could just wait another 3 weeks on top of the 2 months he's already waited. My mom had called about 10 people on her way home to pray that it would work out, and it did... :)

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 29, 2005

I'm glad they were able to keep the earlier appointment. When my boyfriend's father was diagnosed with lung cancer last year the doctors told him he could wait for his surgery and from August to November the mass grew from the size of a golf ball to about the size of a softball. Needless to say, he changed doctors and was operated on right away. Now, a little over a year later, he's cancer-free and everything is going well. I hope to hear good news about your father as well. :)

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2005

The best to you and your family, Amanda. We are having similiar trials with my father-in-law...touch and go...

39. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 29, 2005

Amanda, I'm glad your father will get his surgery soon.

Grammy, prayers for your fil and your family.

40. Brenda

Brenda Companion

Jan 9, 2006

Bumping this thread...

Amanda's dad goes for his surgery today and on her other forum, she told us she was travelling to be with her Mom and Dad (she left yesterday). I understand that both her parents were wound up about it (I don't remember the word she used) and so maybe we could be praying for peace of mind today as he has his surgery today and as he recovers (and awaits pathology reports - I suspect). Amanda said that if all goes well, he should be home tomorrow afternoon...

41. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 9, 2006

I am praying for her and her family.