Cyclone Yasi

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ally06, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 2, 2011

Much of North Queensland's coast are bracing themselves for Cyclone Yasi, due to hit tonight. Much of Queensland has recently been inundated by flooding and now the north is dealing with this. One poor town, Innisfail, was devastated by Cyclone Larry 5 years ago and is about to be hit by Yasi which is much worse. They are saying it is on par with Hurricane Katrina.
    Thankfully people have had a couple of days warning and most people have evacuated and prepared their homes and businesses as much as they can. My relatives in the area have evacuated so they should be safe.
    Please keep all the people of North Queensland in your thoughts and prayers!

http://news.oneindia.in/2011/02/02/...any-in-queenslands-recenthistory-aid0121.html

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 2, 2011

I just heard about Yasi on our local news. Prayers go out to all the people in the path of this storm.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

So scary on top of the recent flooding problems down under...:hugs:

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

Good luck to all! My dad just moved back into his house which is just north of Brisbane but he thinks the cyclone should miss him. They are having bad mold problems, however. Any hints, people? I told him about dehumidifiers which he had never heard of. Any other ideas?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

I have a friend that lives down under, but she is in Canada right now on business which is getting hit with snow. She's getting it from both sides! I'm praying for our friends down there.

7. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 2, 2011

scmom, I am glad that you dad is back in his house. Brisbane is a long way from the cyclone area so he should be fine.
    Yes, unfortunately mould is a huge problem at the moment - dehumidifiers are great and there may be some ideas on this link:
    http://www.health.sa.gov.au/PEHS/PDF-files/ph-factsheet-household-mould.pdf

Am watching the news now, it's early morning here so they are still waiting to find out the true extent of the damage - hopefully it is less than expected!