Cyberbaiting--is it really an issue?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hbcaligirl1985, May 24, 2014.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 24, 2014

Today, I came across this article:

http://www.takepart.com/article/201...igh-tech-ways-humiliate-teachers?cmpid=wfs-fb

and

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/2...h-students-how-to-get-teachers-fired-tutorial

both articles made me feel sick. Now, the two teachers in the first article were clearly in the wrong to let the students get them that wound up, but those are rare occurrences, and not the norm.

So what can be done to prevent situations like these from occurring? And if cyberbaiting DOES happen, what can be done to held the students accountable for their actions so it doesn't turn into a situation like the two teachers mentioned above?

3. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 24, 2014

The real issue with this is a student doesn't wake up one day and say/think "I want to get my teacher fired" if the teacher isn't wronging them. The real issue is a student of this kind has spent their whole life doing unsavory things, and wanting to get a person fired for no reason is only below two or three terrible things, and not being disciplined. The real cause is things teachers can't change. The admin has to support us. No nonsense in school suspension for example. That wasn't even an option when I was a child. If you did something rotten enough to be suspended, you got to spend the day at home. Lord help you IF a teacher passed by and you were outside playing. That actually happened to my cousin. His parents didn't care. His father laughed and my aunt called his teachers and admin b*tches. You know where he is now? He's dead from a drug deal gone wrong almost 8 years ago. He eventually dropped out of high school when the teachers ignored his antics. What can you do to make a parent care that their child is ruining the classroom for other students?

If parents and admin won't get aboard, there's always ignoring. However, for some children, especially those with violent tendencies, that make things worse. My advice to teachers is to ignore it and if that doesn't work, send them to the office.

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 24, 2014

I think schools can be proactive on the issue with a very strict policy against phones/electronic devices and bullying. Our school does (thankfully) and I know students have been disciplined for posting photos and/or comments on social media that could only have been taken or typed during school hours. Kids have also been disciplined for things said on social media after school hours if the comments were of a 'bullying" nature. If a video of a "teacher meltdown" that occurred at our school ever made it online, more than likely the student(s) filming and/or posting it would also face consequences as well.

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

I wonder when classrooms will be recorded by the school to protect teachers.

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 24, 2014

as an aside, I often wonder how they can recruit and staff enough teachers in some of these schools. The pay is certainly not enough to outweigh the safety/frustration issues (imo).

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

Several of the classrooms at my school had cameras with audio installed this year. I think it's only a matter of time before they all have them.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 24, 2014

My younger brother is 13 and has a friend who was actively trying to get one of his teachers fired. He would record him every day and try to catch him yelling. I guess he yelled at them once and he thought he should be fired for it. My brother actually really likes the teacher.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

We have 1:1 i pads this year, so this was a concern. I make a HUGE deal in my class about not taking video/pictures of someone without their permission. I had a student take a video of me teaching once (just a regular lesson), and I took her i pad away for two weeks. It's one of the more serious consequences I've given out this year. I think it is something you have to watch out for. I know some teachers will also have students put the i pads flat on their desks while using them (rather than propping them up towards them) so they can see what they are doing at all times.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2014

This was an issue at my school this year. We have very strict no cell phone use at school policy. We have a very strict no bullying policy.

Yet some children really do get kicks out of baiting teachers and classmates. You can do every prevention strategy and every talk in the world, but someone is still going to push the limits. All a teacher can do is document, document, document, and hope they have an admin who will uphold the school policies.