cyber bullying

Discussion in 'General Education' started by baracuda, Dec 1, 2008.

1. baracuda

baracuda New Member

Dec 1, 2008

A child has just disclosed to me that a class mate has been sending her emails at home using expletives and in general the content is abusive. Her mother has just called to make an appointment. The child in question told me that she had given her home email address to the class mate. While I understand the serious of such bullying I am a little unclear as to what I can do as it didn't take place in school. What would you do? And what should I say to the parent when I meet her?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 1, 2008

If the child didn't write the email at school, you're really not responsible. That would be like someone throwing rocks at the kid's house and you taking care of that. I'd talk with the P about it and let him handle it, or if you simply might tell the parent to talk to the parents of the child who wrote the email.

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

If it is harassment, I believe the parent is within his or her bounds to contact the police, if they so choose.

On a less extreme note, now that I see you are in primary education (and also in Ireland, so I am less familiar with legalities in your situation), setting up a meeting at school may be workable. Although I do not think the school has any binding role, it could be a place for the students and/or parents to talk. I would involve your principal. Out-of-school bullying, which it is important that you remain a concerned teacher, is also out of your control and bounds. Since you have nothing of consequence to tell the mother (other than share your support/concern), you should turn it over to the principal, as you cannot assign consequences.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

Perhaps you could suggest that the parent respond politely but firmly to the bully letting them know that they are monitoring e-mail. There isn't much you can do. Just assure them that there is no bullying going on in school. That's your province, not the home situation.

6. AltEdTeacher1

AltEdTeacher1 Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

Policy

I'm guessing your school and/or district should have policy surrounding bullying, but it is virtually impossible to find anything regarding cyber bullying. If you'd like I will send you a copy of our districts newly adopted cyber bullying which includes a lot more then you might think.

However, if the actions have taken place outside of school you are clear of any legal responsibility. There has to be some sort of intent to commit a crime or failure to prevent a crime to cause you concern. Please make sure you share this with your P--very important. I also think the P should be included in this meeting with the parent.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2008

Although cyber-bullying almost always occurs outside of school, it's effects usually make it into school in some way and then it does become a school issue. The bullies find other ways to bully at school and the victim will be impacted as well. We have had to, unfortunately, deal with this frequently and in all cases, the bullying carried over at school--either in the classroom or outside. I would suggest that the parent of the victim print out all of the conversations, postings and emails and that a meeting with all students and parents involved should be held.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 2, 2008

Does the parent know who the bullier is? In the old days, one mom or dad would call the other mom or dad.

If it is spilling over into school like MrsC suggests, then I would meet with the parent, hear them out, and then see what steps might need to be taken at school. I'd make sure admin knows about this though because they could tell you something totally opposite based on laws or school procedures.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2008

Interestingly, cyberbullying is covered under our school board Safe and Supportive Schools policy which parents sign every year.