cutting/using scissors activities, sheets

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by wannateachintx, Sep 15, 2007.

1. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know of activities for kinder using scissors? I really would like my kiddos to work more with scissors and some have never even held a pair. Thanks.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

I prefer to just continue with my regular activities. We do plenty of things that involve cutting and they might as well get their practice on something "practical."

I model how to hold the scissors ("Put your thumb in the hole. It goes on top....") before each activity. My assistant or I help students who need extra assistance.

I suppose you could plan some activites that involve extra cutting. Maybe cutting construction paper strips (you draw lines on it first) and then making patterened chains.

Also, copy cut and paste sheets on thin cardstock if you can. I think it's a little easier for them to control than floppy regular copy weight (20 lb) paper.

4. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Have a cutting center....Toss in scraps of different types of paper and let them cut away....

I have mine use scissors to cut paper and then we made mosaics of something applicable to the theme we are doing. Last year I when we read Elmer the Elephant for our rainbow theme I had our resource teacher make us a giant Elmer out of posterboard (she is a great artist) and my classes (i have an am and pm class) worked together to cut pieces for Elemer's patchwork. It was so cool, I laminated it!

To help with right positioning, draw a smiley face on their thumbs so they know if they don't see the smile, their scissors are being held wrong-Just make sure the marker is washable...Several kids and myself sported smiley faces for about a week when I used a sharpie my first year:oops:

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 15, 2007

I bought Little Kids Can ... Cut book. Love it. Simple ideas and cheap book (6.99) Love the whole series. (was in Sept Scholastic order cheap in the teacher resources)

6. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 15, 2007

I have that book too:) It is a great book!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

I also used this cutting book. Each page had a cutting activity and they got harder as you progressed through the book. Also, each page had a cute rhyming poem about the activty. I'll have to look for the file to find the name of the book.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

That book is great!

You can also do your own sheets...
    make straightlines on one paper and photocopy.
    Do curves on a paper and photocopy.
    Do zigzags on a paper and photocopy, etc...
    The possibilities are endless! :love:

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

I forgot to mention...when we do these particular cutting pages; I stand in front of the class and show them how to do one. I also say...
    "cut, cut, cut" as I cut and when I get to the end, I say "stop".

They are really cute because they mimic me as they cut their own "lines".

10. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 16, 2007

I made a sheet with different types of lines (straight, zig zag, wavy, etc) and photocopied it, and am using it as a fine motor center. Probably very similar to the book, but much cheaper. :)

Love Sandra's idea of "cut cut cut stop" :)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

We did that when I interned in K. We named our scissors somthing silly & say something like cut or follow the line. I don't remember.

12. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

Start simple, with fat lines to follow.

My kids loved the "pizzas" we made last week. They cut out a large, brown construction paper circle "crust". I had traced the circle with fat, black marker. Then I had them color sauce and toppings on a white paper with a smaller, wavy circle, which they then cut out and glued to the "crust."

I have an ADHD kid that rushed through projects, but I challenged him to cut along the black line. He then worked long and carefully and outdid himself.

We also did paper weaving*. It was good practice for them to cut freely, but have to "STOP" at the line I had marked. They all did super with it.

*I have a Fulani tribal dress, white with blue and red stripes woven in, which we made our weavings like. We used cardstock,, which does make it easier for them to control- the paper doesn't flop around so much.

13. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Ooh, you're right - cardstock makes so much sense! (oops, just ran off a ton of those papers on regular paper)