Cutting down on photocopies for worksheets... ideas???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Jul 2, 2009.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Here's the dilemma... I wasted so much paper (and TIME!) making photocopies every week for my students during their math center rotations. I really liked what they were doing for work... but the paper waste was giving me migraines.

Essentially, during every day's math block we have a period where we rotate 3 times. At station C you are suppose to be at your desk working on a packet of worksheets that I had made. It was mostly practice of their basic facts and computation, mixed with other more creative worksheets like number stories etc... (for example, we learned how to multiply 3 digit times a 2 digit, so I would give them a worksheet full of those problems to practice).

At times it was 5 pages a week for each student... TONS of photocopying.

I was thinking of laminating the worksheets to make master copies so students would have take a master, bring it to their desk, and copy the whole number sentence/number story/etc to lined paper and then solve. If I want them to practice 4 digit subtraction with borrowing, I would only have to make enough unique worksheets for each student... So if I have 20 students... 20 different subtraction worksheets... one student takes "subtraction worksheet #7" for example.. and when he finishes, returns it to the bin and grabs a new one. If they traded in one a day... it would be 20 days of strictly subtraction, which obviously is MORE than plenty.

I was thinking I could do file folders like this... but i'm thinking the laminating would be too involved/expensive. A simpler version of file folders would be a double sided worksheet... front has a decorative cover and instructions, back has the problems to solve..???

Thoughts??? Other suggestions??

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I use the clear plastic protectors. I put them over sheets (just slit the side) and then the kids can write on them with Vis'aVis' or with white board markers, check their answers, and erase. :)

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Could you replace worksheets with flash cards or do you need these to be graded for your gradebook? I know at School Box and other school supply places, they have file folders for math already made up. Maybe that would be a better invesment?

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

I'd say that either option is good. Both will require an investment of time and money to make, but you will defenitely cut down on paper waste. Even though you will spend money upfront to either buy the laminate or sheet protectors, they will last a LONG time, so in reality you'll be saving your school money.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

I invested in sheetcovers for my center activities. I put the sheets in a binder. Each group has their own binder. It works great.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 2, 2009

http://www.eaieducation.com/532371.html These would be an initial investment, but you could put a whole set of sheets in each packet and the students could keep them for long periods of time before needing to change them. I would also suggest providing the answer sheets and have them keep track of how many they get right/wrong so they could see thir own progress. Say if you did 2 weeks of subtraction they would write down how many they got correct each day over the 2 weeks.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I use the clear plastic protectors for everything! I also added the supplies so they had everything they needed in the one protector. I also used whiteboards a lot. The only thing I had to make copies of were the math tests.

9. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I will sometimes shrink worksheets so I can put four copies on one sheet of paper...Two copies on each side. It works great.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

These are FANTASTIC! I got a free sample in the mail somehow, and I love, love, love it.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Just remember that although you'll be saving on toner you'll still be using lots of paper if they are copying the problems onto paper. I use math notebooks. In the summer Walmart and Staples has great sales on spiral notebooks (usually around 10 cents each). The kiddos do their work in those. It's nice to track their progress and they often journal about what they did in math.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

You could also print the worksheet on an overhead transparency and have them use a vis-a-vis marker to write on them. They'll wipe clean and if you wanted to save a child's work you can photocopy it onto paper and then erase it.

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

Maybe you can have kids use a textbook for assignments and copy prblems onto thier own paper.

You could also set up binders with different worksheets in each but the same topics in order. Assign worksheet 1-3 for week one.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I got the coolest things to solve that exact problem. I teach 5th grade math and have about 80 students I teach a day. That equals a lot of copies. They are these thick plastic sleeves that you just slip the paper into. They come with little dry erase markers and rags to use as erasers.

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

This is pretty much what I have. Different brand, but same thing. I got a set of 30 protectors, 30 markers, and 30 rags for a little over $100. The school bought them for me though.

16. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

You could have them work in pairs, one partner does a row, other partner does a row. While one is working the other one is checking the work.
    I don't like having kids do so many math problems. I think it is a waste of time if they are already efficient at it. Instead, I have them make up story problems (even multi-step ones) and solve each others. My 2nd graders do this and they come up with some tricky problems! We usually take them to our 4th grade buddies for them to solve! If your students wrote 3 or 4 good problems and switched and solved it would save lots of paper/toner/time! Just and idea.

17. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 3, 2009

What about students going to the board to do practice problems? A projector is also another way that you can save paper.

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 3, 2009

I do a lot of my practice using the chalkboard and student white boards. Worksheets are only used for homework and tests....

I LOVE having the students write story problems, too! It is great practice in many areas: thinking, reasoning, writing, connecting LA/math...not to mention problem solving!

19. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 3, 2009

we do a lot of student white board work. Ive heard you can buy a large sheet of the stuff at home depot and get it cut into smaller squares.

20. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 3, 2009

Yes and for much cheaper!

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

I found out you can use the dry erase markers on the students' desks and wipe them clean with a Clorox wipe. I have the white lap boards but it was too much of a hassle to drag them out and put them up.

22. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

The white boards are much cheaper but the markers aren't. If you use them often they dry out pretty quick. THose things are expensive! Kids bring some at the beginning of the year but they dry out before 1st semester is over.

23. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 4, 2009

I know, the boards were cheap but, yeah...the markers are not. I usually put the markers on my wish list and let the kids use those. Maybe you could alternate which methods to use. Like one day, use the whiteboards and one day let the kids copy the problems from the book. Or you could have the class set up in groups and only one group would work on the whiteboards, one group could work on problems from the book, one group could do some work on the overheard/smartboard (whatever you have), and the others could use other manipulative based center activities.