Cutting class..

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 30, 2017

Hi everyone

So, I was wondering if any other districts have an issue with students cutting class? The thing is, they aren't benefiting themselves at all. We found 2 students cutting class a few days ago, what were they doing? Playing on their phone in the bathroom for 2 periods. Seriously?

When I was in High School, if you were going to cut you made it worth it. Lake, Restaurant, Shopping... LOL We would not have sat in a bathroom. So enter today, and it was state testing day. Well my 7th period class had 9 students in it and all of them, unanimously decided to cut class. It was like a coup. They were found by the SRO playing tennis- still on school grounds.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2017

State testing? If your district/state doesn't allow opting out, this might be 'refusal'?

4. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 30, 2017

Not sure I understand the question? The test goes for 5 hours so they were well done by this point and back to regular class schedule.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2017

Did the cutting students take or skip the test?

6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 30, 2017

Ah. They were lower class, so they took the test Tuesday.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2017

I teach high school in Baltimore and the kids call it "dragging." We (the staff) joke that some of these kids deserve a check for being Hall Monitors or we call them "professional hall walkers." This is a hard problem to deal with because my school has about 1,400 kids and we have a TON of kids who are cutting every period; some come to school and never go to class all day. They walk the hallways, hang out at the vending machines, go shoot hoops in the gym, sit in the stairwells or on the benches in the hallway. They rarely hang out in the bathroom (which are pretty nasty). That being said, most of our cutters leave the building during the day.

8. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 30, 2017

We have 1500, so very similar. Very hard to track down!!

9. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Mar 31, 2017

I don't get how they're hard to track. If they're not in a classroom, why are they not being picked up by administration, security, whatever. Not that my school is any better, but I personally ask students that I see sitting in the cafeteria during no lunch periods for their pass.

I used to cut my Spanish class my senior year, but I went to my chorus room and played piano for one of the choirs. My mom caught me eventually, and then I dropped the class. But, most people left campus--we had an open campus, so it wasn't hard to do.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 31, 2017

Not enough hands on deck! I worked in a middle school with 360 kids, and we couldn't keep track of them all. I don't know how anyone does it with 1,500.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2017

We have almost 1700 kids, but no real "hall pass" system, so if they see yard duty coming, they just start walking towards class or say they had permission to be in the bathroom. If a student is marked absent, the attendance office calls home to verify, and if the parent doesn't make an excuse (they often do!) then that kid gets lunch detention. If they skip detention, they get ISS. I had a student ask me yesterday, why is the punishment for cutting class missing more class? I didn't have a good answer since I agree that the consequence isn't logical!

12. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 1, 2017

LOL

Well our ISS is not such a picnic. They have dress code, specific things- Blue jeans, white shirt, tucked in with belt and black closed toed shoes.

13. mako

mako New Member

Apr 5, 2017

I completely agree with that. In my school, they make the students do work they didn't finish. I find it really unlogical that most public schools have a system where the person skipping class skips more class..

We sometimes have this experience, but it's easier to track down as we only have around 50 students. Our students don't show up during school when they skip, as our campus is very small and it's easy to catch them.
    Sometimes the students will skip periods by saying another teacher had asked them to do something else which involves them being away from their classroom. (example being "Ms. Rachel had asked me to fix the computer in the library.") These are just kind of simple excuses that get used.

Most of the students that skip, skip the whole day, not periods.

But I've at least caught 5 different students this year just hanging out in the yard eating not doing anything while on campus. They even slept on the equipment.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2017

Our lunch duty is no "picnic" either -- it's basically solitary confinement the whole day in a windowless room and a grumpy monitor. My problem is more that the kid cuts class, misses instruction, and then spends a day in ISS, missing more instruction. I don't give "busy work" or worksheets in my class that are easy for kids to make up on their own without instruction, so kids just fall farther behind. This is enough to keep grade-motivated kids coming to class, but the majority of those who are willing to skip are also not grade-motivated and don't care (or pretend not to care). So it turns into more work for me, having to send over work, follow up, explain to the kid what they missed on two days instead of one. We have 100-minute classes so two days = a whole week's worth of instruction that I have to somehow sum up in an email they won't read or office hours that they don't show up for.

If it were up to me, I would have Saturday detention, Breakfast Club-style, but with a monitor who wouldn't fall asleep!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 8, 2017

I think a good natural consequence to cutting class would be lunch detention, afterschool detention or Saturday school, and during this time the student would be working on the assignment he missed. He had fun instead of going to class, so now instead of having fun, he will be going to class.

MathGuy82 likes this.