Cuts, Cuts and More Cuts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 8, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

Let me preface this by saying I love my district, always have. We're a big target for media, many teachers complain, but I've been really happy there. Unfortunately we have a new Super and he is a self-proclaimed "hatchet-man". It's all about the numbers to him. Apparently anyone with low test scores is in jeopardy-you can be Teacher of the Year, if your scores are low (and yes, even in Kinder) you will be let go. Work 10 hour days, facilitate after school clubs for kids (for free)-doesn't matter. Wants to put all high-performing teachers with "low" kids and get rid of Gifted programs-because I guess those kids can be left behind. It's created this atmosphere of fear, which may be his plan, I don't know.

Now this. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6902120.html

I know people are cutting everywhere, but come on. Don't serve fresh fruit because it's more expensive. Kids paying up to $2.00 for lunch (that's $40 a month per kid). And let's cut the minimum wage jobs why don't we. Ugh! Such short-sightedness it's just sooooo depressing. :mad:

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 8, 2010

that is the line that stuck with me! what the heck!

(sorry)

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 8, 2010

Our lunches are $2.40

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 8, 2010

Kindercow, that's just awful. Someone needs to rise up and advocate for gifted kids, they've been swept under the rug for too long.

I know this creates a lot of pressure for you. I just hate it for ya.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

I guess it's just going to be a shock because last year it was $1.40 it went up to $1.60 this year, another 40 cent jump per day just seems like a lot. I never pictured the cafeteria there to be a profit-maker but to feed the kids. We are a large urban district-many of our kids qualify for free lunch but we also have those that make too much to qualify but still aren't far above the poverty level.

Hoot- You are preaching to the choir! I just don't understand that thinking at all. They should be able to pass the test, so send them in the corner with a book and concentrate on the struggling kids-who cares if they actually make any growth. Grrrr-can you tell how irritated I am right now.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 8, 2010

You should tape that new Jaime Oliver food show that airs next (?) Friday about the state of our school food and leave it in his mailbox.

I've always dreamed of having fresh fruit available at all times in my classroom, and my new school has a HUGE cart of pears, apples, kiwis, etc. the kids can eat when they are hungry. Paradise.

Hugs for you, Kinder.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 8, 2010

There are schools thats serve fruit!??!

Haha man....I need to get my kids out of the ghetto. I guess that's what you get with district-wide free lunch.

A fruit cart would be SOSOSO amazing. I wouldn't feed my dog most of what they feed my kids.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

What happened to leaving no child behind? We're focusing too much on the struggling students and sweeping the average and gifted student under the rug because they are on grade level. We ARE leaving children behind!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, it's always for sale in our cafeteria, along with salads. Of course, there are fries and pizza too....

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2010

Our district's food service pays for itself and they serve fresh fruit every day at breakfast and lunch. These meals are the only ones many of our children get each day. I'm glad our district feels our children deserve "platinum meals"!

12. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

I typically pay $1.75 for a teacher's lunch and I've never paid more than $2.50 for mine.

I don't know what the kids pay for lunch, but their breakfast is $.75, and they always have three choices and fresh fruit

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

Thanks for your responses guys!

The whole test score thing really scares me. The test we take in Kinder (after 3 1/2 months of instruction) was intended to identify GT kids. It's not even based on our curriculum. We haven't gotten our results yet this year, but I know as GT classes go the one I have this year began at a much lower academic level than most do. I'm supposed to move to 1st next year and I was really excited, but I've never given their test before and have no idea what's even tested. It's making me rethink the whole thing. I mean for a primary teacher to lose their job because of test scores, when the test isn't even based on what they are supposed to be learning?

I just think it's going to make so many more people teach to the test and not care about anything else which is going to be horrible for our students.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2010

We are part of a Healthy Schools initiative. A large bin of fresh, seasonal fruit is delivered to each of our classrooms and to the office each week. Several times a year, parent volunteers go from class to class and make fresh fruit smoothies for the students and teachers. On Wednesday, all of us are taking part in the "Great Big Crunch"--everyone in the school at 9:30am will be given an apple to eat.

15. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

Our kids lunches are $3.25 and adult meals are $4.00. Lunch was $2.00 when I was in high school (2002).

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 9, 2010

Wow! That is high...especially for our lunches. They aren't worth that price.

17. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Mar 9, 2010

Student lunches are $2.00 (2.50 for teachers, even though its exactly the same).
    We always have fresh fruit options, usually oranges or apples.

Somebody should show your guy a food pyramid.

18. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Mar 9, 2010

We have fresh fruit AND fresh veggies every day. Today we had fresh grapes, fresh lettuce mix, fresh cucumbers, fresh carrots, fresh peppers, fresh broccoli. We also had one canned fruit...pears.

Every month we teach about a healthy food and on "Wellness Wednesday" every kid and adult in the school gets a healthy snack (fresh spinach with craisins and vinagrette, apples, pears, pineapple, oranges, etc.--all fresh!)

This change would NOT fly in our district. Parents would be outraged!

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 9, 2010

Wow, our high school lunches are $1.25 and our faculty lunches are $2.00. We do get a little more food than the kids and the choice of salad. Our cafeteria ladies still make homemade yeast rolls on certain days. Thursday is homemade cinnamon rolls, chilli, or chicken noodle soup. The kids would riot without the cinnamon rolls (and the faculty too). The kids also have a choice of fresh fruit for about $.35. Sometimes the fruit choice with the lunch is fresh fruit or it may be canned.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 9, 2010

Our lunches are $6, brought in by a private company. I was going to get them just so I wouldn't have to worry about packing a lunch, but it's cheaper to get a bowl of soup at a nice restaurant up the street... I envy the cheap prices!

21. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

Our school lunches are 2.50, and I am sorry to say they are not great quality. A few years back they tried offering healthy options but gave up when it didn't become popular enough.

22. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

I'm not supposed to get more food, but most schools the cafeteria workers will either give me more or charge me student prices. There is one school that really irritates me though because if I buy my lunch at kindergarten lunch time, they'll give me the same amount of food for a kindergarter, and won't consider extra. Yet if I go in an hour earlier, when 6-8th grade is eating, they'll give me the same amount as a junior high schooler for the exact same price. And its the same cafeteria with the same workers so I don't why they won't give that much to the primary teachers

23. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2010

I would look at them and the food and explain that I am not
    five years old. Actually, i ALWAYS have a good relationship with the lunch ladies and never have to worry about portions.

24. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 11, 2010

They cut GT classrooms in my disctrict and went to a once a week, one hour pullout program. They said it was a waste to have a class with only 15 of the brightest.

They want these kids to be spread out to show the lower level kids what is expected. You can imagine how it back fired. Our highest level kids have become discipline problems. They don't want to be labeled as geeks and nerds.

Admins answer...differentiate. As if teaching isn't hard enough.

I live in this district with a 1 year old at home. He will not be attending school here. I hope they start givingvouchers to parents to use to send their kids to private school.