Cute Winter/Christmas/Holiday Activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Lauren1, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007

I thought it would be neat to start a thread on Winter/Christmas/Holiday writing or bulletin board activities? What do you do? What bulletin boards do you create? What's your best bulletin board yet?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 23, 2007

Bulletin Board and Decoration Ideas

Well, I posted this one somewhere else:

"Illuminating Work"-Create a border with large Christmas lights (mine are not real, but I guess you could use real ones). I have a pattern of Christmas lights that I copied on several colors of construction paper. I then laminated and put silver glitter glue on them to make them sparkle. Put the lights around the edge of your area and connect with green or black yarn to look like a string of lights. Place the title "Illuminating Work" on the board. Put really great work up.

I'm also doing a pre-made Grinch bulletin board set because my room is in Dr. Suess.

On my windows I have gel clings that I bought from Wal-Mart. You can find them at Hobby Lobby as well. The clings say "Let it Snow" and have lots of different snowflakes. Hanging from the ceiling will be various snowflakes I've found at dollar stores.

I try to put seasonal things up on my windows and hanging from my ceiling. That way it can stay up for a while.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2007

one of my very favorite bulletin boards to do is this:
    title the board with the sentence, "CHILDREN ARE LIKE SNOWFLAKES...EACH ONE IS UNIQUE" - I add a photo of each student in the center of the snowflake.

5. Lauren1

Lauren1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2007

I think these are great! I really like both ideas!

6. Gandalf

Gandalf New Member

Nov 25, 2007

We make a Christmas trees with flags from around the world as ornaments to go with Holidays Around the World. We also make passports that are stamped with each country where we study holidays. Then we have different local cultural groups come and visit the classroom.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007

ok, so I don't have builten boards..... but we are making garland from foam shapes..... I have snow flakes out today........I also have used the ginger bread with loli pop shapes.

8. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Nov 26, 2007

I love this idea, I'm going to use it. We just created snowflakes and we are adding glitter to ours tomorrow. I will be taking their pictures and adding them to the center.

Thanks!

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2007

You're welcome! :love:

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 27, 2007

Snowflakes can be kept up all winter. We do them as a grade level and hang from the hallway ceiling.

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Nov 29, 2007

One of my all-time favorite projects is this...
    I read Snowballs by Lois Ehlert and ask the kids to notice the supplies used to create the snow family. Afterwards we generate a list of "good stuff" to make a snowman with. I send the list home and the kids bring back whatever good stuff they can-fabric, plastic silverware, buttons, doll clothes, yarn, raisins, etc. the list is endless. I give everyone a pre-cut snowman from posterboard and they create a masterpiece on one side. I hang them above their desks. Just be sure to have a glue gun (for you to use, of course!) for some of the harder to glue on objects. The beauty is, they can stay up for ALL of winter!

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007

GREAT IDEA!!! Love it, gonna use it! :love:

13. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Nov 29, 2007

TeacherSandra

Just wantged to let you know I finished my bullitin board and it came out fantastic. We glittered up the snowflakes. I took pictures of each kid then I had them brain storm ideas on why they are unique. Then they each wrote one reason why they are unique. Its really great, thanks again for the idea.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2007

I wanted to do that!!!

that's just what I was planning!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2007

I think too many bulletin boards are starting to look like people's houses...way too commerical.... everyone competing to get the biggest, best, prettiest, shinnest, STORE MADE decorations!

stuff that 3 year olds should never touch, taste or smell! :unsure:

yes, they look lovely, but as Charlie Brown said..

"Isn't there anyone here who can tell me what Christmas (in preschool) is all about???"

In a developmentally appropriate classroom, all the decorations would be made by the children! I don't see the point in using anything besides store bought borders and die cut letters.

so what if your kids snowflakes only have one point, or a reindeer has 4 legs and 4 eyes! it's the kids art! we are getting too hung up on making things look 'right'!!!

I may be fighting a lost cause here...but I think it makes it hard on the rest of us who are a bit old fashion and broke!

I am waiting to see a power strip or extension cord hanging from somebody's bulletin board! :crosseyed

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 30, 2007

He, he, he.... I'm all about having students help create the bb too. My Illuminating work idea (see page 1) is handmade christmas lights hotglued as the boarder. We put silver glitter on them to make them look like lights. After I connected all the lights with string (to make it look like a string of lights), I made a fake plug in and wall outlet. The kids love it. Their work is displayed in the middle.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2007

beautiful!

I didn't want to get on my soap box, but we have lots of parents and little ones in our building, and a zero to three program too. Guess I am saying something like the real buttons on snowman, celophane covered letters, and tiny berries and holly leaves shouldn't be used...IMO

18. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Dec 12, 2007

Beth MI---I used your activity with reading Snowballs and we created our own snowmen. They look awesome hanging in the halls!

19. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

Yeah! Glad to help.

20. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

Website

Your website is great but I am unable to open any links under teacher resources. Do I need to do something different?

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

Hmm... that's strange. It could be that they are updating the network. They work for me at all the computers I go to.

22. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

I'll try again on my computer at school. Thanks for responding.