Cute table names?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sciencegirl, Aug 15, 2007.

1. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I have 4 lab tables that I'll be using to teach my K-3 science classes. I'm looking for cute names for each table. The past teacher had different ocean animals. I'm looking for something else that's also science-themed and something kids will have an affinity for (like animals, but I'm open to non-animal names!) I'd like to find something kind of unique or new, though, so they may learn new words... obscure animals or something else kind of neat?
    Any creative theme ideas out there?
    Thanks!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

What about naming each table after a famous scientist? Try to mix it up ethnically and by gender a little bit. Anyway, it would be good, because they could learn about a different scientist throughout the year.

4. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Maybe mammals/reptiles/birds/fish etc., instead of specific animals? That would go along with a unit on classifying animals. :)

Oooh, or habitats. That could be fun, having students in the "desert" or "rainforest," etc.

5. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

How about letting them choose a planet?

6. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 16, 2007

or different areas of science...chemistry, biology, physics, geology, etc.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 16, 2007

I like that... Maybe you could select something specific even within four different fields of science. These could even change each grading period. You could name the first four, then have students nominate names and design mottos or symbols or something for each table for subsequent quarters/semesters as they learn more about the subjects.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2007

bugs - ants, centipedes, nightcrawlers, spiders, butterflies, bumblebees.......

9. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Searchers...Seekers...Hunters...Discoverers

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2007

Not for science-but in the 2nd grade class where I student taught, they always named their groups. They would pick their names based on the unit they were on. One of their units was on Heros-so they decided to have different military names: airman, navy seals, etc. So maybe you could name them based on what you're studying at the time, and then change them for different units.

11. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Lots of helpful ideas from everyone--thanks! I can't really make it based on specific units, nor can I have the kids decide, since I'm teaching 8 different classes (4 gradelevels, 2 classes per gradelevel.)
    They all study a variety of disciplines, so I was trying to make it more general to cover all the groups.
    I like the suggestions here so far, though. Keep 'em coming! I still have 2 weeks to decide :)

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

13. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Thanks so much with that bulletin board materials link! That's really cute! I think I'll splurge on that! :)