Cute Cheap Gifts for Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teamfry, Dec 3, 2006.

1. teamfry

teamfry Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

Does anybody have any ideas for cute cheap Christmas gifts I can get for my students. They are fourth graders. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I do want to get them something...I figured some experienced teachers probably have some cute ideas! :)

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Dec 3, 2006

I've given a couple of different things...

~a book from Scholastic (0.95)
    ~an ornament that I have painted/written on with puffy paint (I usually put their name on it and the year)
    ~fun pencils with a couple of candy canes that have been decorated like reindeer

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

This year I have 2 books, holiday pencils, very small stuffed animals, and candy. I always find things on clearance. The stuffed animals were 50 cents or something about 6 weeks ago. I sometimes get those miniature santa mugs when they are 39 cents at Walgreens and put candy canes in them.

5. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

I got 50 piece puzzles as Michaels and notepads in the shape of the first letter of their first name.

6. kelkat

kelkat New Member

Dec 3, 2006

I bought silver Christmas ornaments and wrote their names and the year on them with red/green paint pens. Wrap them in tissue paper and place in a small bag (5 for $1.00 at Walmart in the card section). Punch 2 holes with hole puncher after you fold over the top of the bag and tie ribbon through the holes for an added touch.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 3, 2006

It's too late for this year, but at the beginning of school sales in July and August I pick up the colored pencils or markers when they are on sale, then combine this with a book and a little candy.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 4, 2006

Do you send out Scholastic book orders? If you have since the beginning of the school year and the kids have placed orders, you probably have accrued enough points to get 30 free books (or how many kids you have) for your class. :) That helped me cut down on the cost! They're getting the book, a candy cane and a sticker. =)

9. Violet

Violet Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Check out your local 99 cent store. Last year I found Christmas coloring books packaged with a box of crayons for each student. At 1.00 a piece, it was a good deal!

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 4, 2006

Last year I gave them little goodie bags of a pencil, a bookmark, a few pieces of candy, and I think maybe a bouncy ball or something small like that. I included a Merry Christmas note from myself as well.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2006

We just finished making the 3D ornaments from old Christmas cards. I strung them with wire on which the kids added green and white beads. They are beautiful!!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 5, 2006

I also do a Scholastic $.95 book (I use my bonus points), a holiday pencil, and candy cane. This year I'm adding a cute eraser I found at the Dollar Tree (12 per pack). They also have 3 packs of Fun Pads there.

13. skelley

skelley Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Christmas Gift

For the past 2 years I have used my bonus points to buy my kids a scholastic certificate to get a book $3.95 or less. You can purchase these if you don't have enough points for $1.95 a piece. Then the kids get to choose their own book. They really enjoy doing that.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Dec 5, 2006

I got snowflake mugs and I'm going to paint their names on them with a paint pen. I'll put in a packet of hot chocolate and I got Christmas pencils and erasers at Dollar Tree. I also got some round glass ornaments and wrote their names on them and "5th grade, 2006". I'm going to put them on our classroom tree and let them take them home before the Winter Break.

It's too late for this year, but the other 5th grade teachers got their students personalized pencils. I think a pack of 3 pencils was .79. I spent a little more than that, but it's my 1st year, so what do I know.

15. teamfry

teamfry Rookie

Dec 6, 2006

Thank you for all the ideas.I appreciate all of them!!

16. teamfry

teamfry Rookie

Dec 6, 2006

If you could, would you find out where they got them from. Some of my names may not be in there though...One of my students names is Exquizit...
    Thank you!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2006

I went to the dollar store and saw these cute travel game. Since I tend to teach spelling and language arts, I was thrilled when I saw a travel hangman game. I bought one for a center to use today, then decided heck, I'm gonna buy one for each student for Christmas. THEN I'm gonna type all their spelling words they've had so far and include it with a note so the parents know those are all the words they definately know so far and can use practice on. Hehe, teaching even with a present.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 6, 2006

http://forteachersonly.com/

You type in the names so every student, no matter what the parents were thinking, will have pencils with his/her name on it.

19. goopp

goopp Devotee

Dec 6, 2006

Thanks texas...that's where they ordered them from.