Cut to Cutting

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissH225, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

I have a standard that is: Recognize and use knowledge of spelling patterns (such as cut/cutting, slide/sliding) when reading.

My teacher (I'm student teaching) said its one of those standard she doesn't really spend a lot of time on and kids either get it or they dont. But we have some extra time so we want to hit again. Last time when she did it students used dry erase boards to change words like cut to cutting or slide to sliding (knowing when to drop the e and add ing or doubbling the constant and adding ing).

Can you think of something eles I could do that's not just worksheet? I mean I could do that again the kids do like the dry erase boards but I feel like I should be doing something that isn't what she did?

Thanks (esp to those who answered my post last nite)!

3. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

I forgot to add that it will just be a quick activity like 15-20 minutes

4. teacherdee

teacherdee Rookie

Feb 21, 2008

Funny, I just taught this today :) With white boards! Another thing I have done is word sorting. I don't know if you are already familiar with word sorts, but give them words without the endings (cut, jump, make, run, etc.) and tell them to sort by putting the e-drop words together, the double-the-final consonant words together and the no-change words together. When they are finished sorting, they can write the word with the ending on the back of the card. If this doesn't make sense, let me know :)