Cut back on derogatory word in class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by J. A., Feb 13, 2018.

1. J. A.

J. A. Rookie

Feb 13, 2018

I am a 1st year teacher taking on an 9th grade class mid-year. I have some students who throw around words like "gay" and "retarded" every other word that leaves their mouth, and it sickens me, especially when a kid looks me in the eye and refuses to do their work because "this is gay." I banned the words from my room and decided to do automatic detention, 1 day for each time they say it, but with 4-5 students a period saying it 2-3 times... it's not effective. I may just be too sensitive to the words, but I know that I have LGBT and learning disabled students who are distressed at hearing the terms, so I want to find ways to get rid of this language!

ms.irene likes this.
  3. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Feb 13, 2018

One way I have combated the R word in my classes is having a time consuming discussion about why it is inappropriate and bullying to those students who are disabled. We lead into topics of names people in the past have been called that are completely illegal now, etc. Once students realize we are going to have a long touchy feel convo (what they like to call it-I call it empathy education) that makes the word- user feel uncomfortable they start to monitor themselves and peers.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. imtyazharoon

imtyazharoon Rookie

Apr 8, 2018

You said right once students realiz we will have a long delicate feel convo (what they get a kick out of the chance to call it-I call it compassion instruction) that influences the word-client to feel awkward they begin to screen themselves and companions.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 12, 2018

we have a school-wide initiative to combat this problem. Our school is very PC and we just don't hear those terms that often. To the point that when I use the word retard or retarded in a clinical sense my students will call me out and we have to have a quick discussion about intent, description, political correctness, etc.

Maybe you can start a Spread the word to end the word campaign at your school?