Customizable Timer

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wcormode, Jul 24, 2012.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

My wife is a Preschool teacher. In her room she has a Promethean board and a projector.

This is what she would like to find:

A timer that she can display up on the board that displays large enough that all of the children and adults can see it. She would like to be able to set it to any time that she needs. It needs to have the ability to give audible warnings as specified times (half-way, 1-minute). Finally when it runs out she would like to specify an audio file to play (like the clean-up song).

Is something like this available? I cant seem to find the right search string to find it on the internet.

Even if you have found something as a standalone item I would be interested.

Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2012

I have a SmartBoard, not a Promethian...it has a library of interactive resources including a timer that can be set to any time and can count up or dwn.:thumb:
    Have you googled 'online timer'?

There might be something here:

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

4. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

Those are okay but it is really important that it gives a warning and then plays a song rather than have an alarm.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012

I think she can set that up on the Promethean under tools if she adds the song file. I like that idea. The alarms often scared my kids.

6. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 24, 2012

7. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 25, 2012

I use these timers in my pre-k classroom. They don't give a 1 minute warning, but they have great visual support so the kids know it is coming. They especially love the rocket, the candle, and the bomb. They hurry to "Beat the timer" so that can sit and watch it finish.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/classroom-timers/

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012

9. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

I got really excited when I started reading this article but then when I tried it out, it did not work. I am on windows 7 so that may be the reason. I will have to see if I can make it to her classroom to try it on her older computer. Too bad she doesn't have a Mac because that way sounds pretty easy.

Thank you for the link.

10. Allen Dsouza

Allen Dsouza Rookie

Jul 27, 2012

This concept is really nice. I'm also thinking to use this concept for my preschool. But before that I have to find such timer. I'll definitely search it and if I get it I'll let you know about it.
    Thanks for sharing this concept.
    Regards
    Primary Education
    Little Millennium

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Hi- I am a long-time Promethean Board user. The Promethean Activ software should come with a timer that you can just drag onto the screen and set. It might need to be modified a bit to do the actions she want it to. Also, have you searched on Promethean Planet? You must register to use but it is free. There are thousands and thousands of flipcharts there uploaded by users. Type what you are looking for in that section and see what you can find. Also, Promethean offers many free video tutorial clips under "Activ Tips"- search there for your topic and see if there is a tutorial. Finally, the very best place for finding Promethean help is on the forums at Promethean Planet. People who work for Promethean will actually respond and help you out, they are SUPER- I can't say enough about how great their forums are when you need fast and accurate help.