Custodian Control

Discussion in 'High School' started by KRaeLamb, Aug 16, 2007.

1. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

My school has three buildings. I got moved to the "academic wing" this year (which I am so excited about). I went to school yesterday to set up the class. However, when I got there the custodians told me that I couldn't get in my room because the wax on the floors hadn't set.

Okay, I can deal with that....I told them I'd be back Friday. Well, they then told me that I can't move the furniture around! They said it would scratch the wax off the floors. They put my furniture in the room.....AND I HATE IT. In my opinion it isn't set up to facilitate learning (especially kids with BD, LD, and MI).

I am going to take "sliders" in with me tomorrow and move the room around. Is this okay? I've always heard that you shouldn't make custodians mad....that they will help you when you need it. But, can they really tell me how to set up my room because of waxed floors?????:help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

It shouldn't be up to the custodians to dictate your room setup, but they do have a valid concern about damage to the floor. You've come up with a great idea, and sliders would be fine, I think.

To CYA, you might want to run it by someone higher up like an assistant principal or your department chair before you move any furniture around. I don't think it will be a problem.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

It is true that you shouldn't make the custodians mad--it will come back to haunt you. I think you have come up with a good solution by taking sliders, or, you could ask them if they have another way to move the furniture around. Our custodians always ask us to leave a floor plan of how we want the furniture set up and they will do it for us when the floors are ready. I always have them set up the big, heavy stuff and I do the desks.

5. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Thank you all so much....I have worried myself sick over this. I guess we'll see how it goes in the morning.

6. robkmil

robkmil New Member

Sep 19, 2007

a cheap way to move furniture is to cut open tennis balls and slide them over the legs of chairs. Also, just ask the head cleaner and the veteran teacher in your building.

7. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 19, 2007

Do NOT :naughty: mess with your custodians!!! They can make or break it for you. What I would do is ask them very nicely what they would suggest would be the best way to move the furniture without damaging the floor. They will either tell you how to do it or do it for you!! (Have a floor plan ready just in case they offer to move your furniture for you, because they'll do it when they're ready - which could be immediately or next week some time. :p

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 20, 2007

I agree-

you don't want to make the custodians mad! don't mess with them. unfortunately in both situations i've been in, they have sooooo much say so, yes over even the situation of the classroom. it seemed stupid to me too, that the custodians have a say over where and how i situate my class-but unfortunately, they do!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2007

They have a say in these things because they are the ones who clean the rooms so know what works and what doesn't (they shouldn't have to move furniture every night in order to clean the room effectively) and also because they are the experts in the fire code and health and safety regulations. The caretakers don't set guidelines or restrictions just to annoy teachers (unless, of course, you are one of those teachers who has ticked them off ;)).