Cussed out daily by K student

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by repete8, Sep 7, 2009.

1. repete8

repete8 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

OK, in my 7 years of teaching I have NEVER been called the a word, the b word or the w word by a student. The parents are aware of the situation as well as the principal, sp. ed teacher, and sp. ed director. No parents have complained as of yet, but I fear that complaints are the only way this will be solved.
    The student really needs an aide, someone to sit with him and remind him of his behavior. I brought this up in the meetings we have had with everyone, but was told that "we don't do that here". WHAT??? EXCUSE ME??? So we are putting 20 students educational futures at risk because you don't want to provide an aide for this student. Of course, no other ideas were given to me at the meeting as far as interventions. The principal has given corporal punishment and suspended him for the remainder of the day.
    Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to deal with this? I feel that I am at the end of my rope in this age of test scores, I can't teach with him cursing and running around my room.

3. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

Are you in a private or public school? I would find a spot for him away from the other students when he misbehaves. Every time he misbehaves call his parent. Get him on a behavior plan. Keep informing your administrator of all issues. Good luck with this!

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

We were discussing the use of foul language by little ones. Someone mentioned it can be a symptom of Tourrettes Syndrome. I still don't understand how a child would know these words if they hadn't heard them somewhere. What are the child's parents saying about his behavior? Is the foul language the only behavioral issue or does he act out in other ways? I don't know that there is much an aid could do about the language. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. repete8

repete8 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

Parents say he does the same thing at home. I am in a public school. I have tried to put him in another spot in the room, but he continually gets out and I can't teach and wrangle him.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

If it really is just the child being disrespectful (and not something like Tourrettes) I would send the child to the office EVERY TIME this happens so they understand the magnitude of the situation. If they are going to suspend the boy for the remainder of the day everyday, they may re-think the aide situation. It sounds harsh, but it sounds like they aren't giving you much of a choice...

7. repete8

repete8 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I am pretty sure there is an underlying issue, just not sure what it is. I hope I can hang in there until they re-evaluate him for sp. ed.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

We had a student like that last year - every morning threw a total fit, yelled out curses (called our 6 1/2 foot tall custodian the B word :eek:). I really think it was an attempt to get attention and once he stopped getting attention for it, the behavior stopped. I agree with putting him on a specific behavior plan - from 8:00-9:00 - star for not breaking the classroom rules, 9-10 - if he gets a star he gets a reward. For some kids breaking the day down into increments makes it more possible for them to be successful. It's a shame your administration won't back you on it.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

I hope he is just looking for attention- if so, I think a behavior plan would work well!

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

BTDT with a special preschooler several years ago. She could make an R rated movie sound clean. She knew when to use them, most of the time, too. I had another one that would call us a "Beh". I told the speech teacher to NOT teach her the ending TCH sound. :)

It is amazing what spouts out of their mouths.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 8, 2009

:lol:

12. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

In addition to a behavior plan for him, I would also make sure that I am heaping the praise on the kids who are doing the right thing. Not the sappy, fake praise, but genuinely recognizing them for doing something good. And the second he does what he's supposed to, sing his praises. Let him know that he can get your attention in positive ways as well.

And, if you can, try not to play into the "shock value" of what he just said. Just keep your voice low and remind him "in this classroom, we only use kind words. If you continue to speak in that way, you will have to leave my room." It's not nearly as much fun to talk like that when there is no reaction.

Just curious, which part of OK are you in? I'm in the northern part of the state and I can think of very few schools that still use corporal punishment. More in the southeast where I grew up.

13. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

Maybe have the P come in and witness the behavior - his opinion may change.

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 8, 2009

Often the only way to get action from the administration is to send the child up regularly. I had a child who swore (lots of the 'F'word) and when there was no reaction, would throw things. Admin would say it was terrible. Period. I began sending the child to the office each day and after he wrecked our principal and assistant principal's offices, they moved him to the front of the 'testing' line. Out of sight, out of mind.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I totally agree with the point about making the behavior a problem for the admin. It's worked for us before.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

I thought I had heard them all. I don't know what the "w" word is? :confused:
    Don't post it. I'll ask one of my children :lol:

17. repete8

repete8 Companion

Sep 8, 2009

I am in southern OK. Got called the 'b' word today and several of my students were hit, called the P, and he talked to the student. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THEM SEE WHAT HE IS DOING? This is taking away from 'time on task' and I fear the bad language is starting to rub off on others. My class is already the lowest of 4 K classes and this is not helping.

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2009

Aside from bugging the admin. by sending him to the office, one of the very few things that works in our school is when a parent complains...because he is taking away so much learning time, and if his language does wear off on others and they start using it at home, you'll have a parent in the office complaining in no time- maybe then they will make some changes....

19. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I thought corporal punishment was totally illegal in schools in the U.S.? Maybe just California?

20. repete8

repete8 Companion

Sep 8, 2009

maybe its okay as long as parents are notified before hand and give their permission???

21. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

Wow! I looked it up and can't believe that it IS still allowed in nearly half the states in the U.S., sometimes without parental consent.

It's beyond verboten in California.