Curves?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by catnfiddle, Dec 6, 2009.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 6, 2009

I used to belong to Curves a few years ago and am considering rejoining. Is anyone else on the forum currently a member? Any recent horror stories? Success stories?

Sorry this thread is more of an exclusively girly one than I usually post, but I don't think men would enjoy the workout.

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Dec 6, 2009

I rejoined Curves last week. No success stories yet since it's only been a few days, but it definitely worked for me last time. I say go for it. This is a different Curves than the one I went to last time, but the people at both are just as nice and friendly as they could be, and I enjoy it so much more than a "normal" gym. It's just not as daunting, and it can be a lot of fun once you make friends with the group there at the same time you are :) Good luck!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 6, 2009

Can someone tell me more about Curves? It is (purposely) not a place you can look into while walking by, and I wonder what happens in there. Do you have a trainer or a plan made for you? Do you make appointments, or come when you like? Is it very costly?

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 7, 2009

I think Curves is good for short-term (or low-impact) but if you want to see continued results, I think eventually it stops. My mom (she's 63) went there for years, 3x a week. It wasn't until she started taking a cardio class through Park and Rec in addition to going to Curves that she actually started losing a more noticeable amount of weight. She eventually left there to join another women's gym that gives her a better workout. She used to say it was more social hour than exercise when she went because the same group of ladies was there every morning, lol.

I think part of the appeal is the fact that it's all women and it's just a 30-minute circuit, which is nice for those with busy schedules. Some Curves I believe offer additional classes (like Zumba) which is nice. I think it's a good place to start if you're not much of an exerciser and want to get into a good routine, but if you're wanting to continue significant results, I think eventually you'll have to move on.

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 7, 2009

I was a member on and off at Curves for a few years. MuggleBug is correct that its good for low-impact. It worked for me to get back into the notion of exercising. It loosened up my muscles enough to join a regular fitness class at the YMCA.

To find out what its like, its best to join your local Curves and ask for an appointment to get a tour of the facility. Depending on how your Curves is, mine is busiest between 6:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. and again at 5-close. I always got a student discount and it was about 3 months for $100.00. I think otherwise, its around $35-40/month.

The work-out consists of I believe 12 or 14 work out machines and a spring board. You spend 30 seconds at each station and you rotate using a machine and a spring board. The spring board is big enough to jog in place, jumping jacks or some aerobics footwork.

Having a trainer or a plan made for you is entirely up to you. I believe each Curves is individually owned and operated, so they set their own hours and some Curves offer activities others don't. I think the plans are about the same for each Curves (so, yes, from what I remember they do have fitness plans and you can meet one-on-one with a trainer, but it costs extra). But, for instance, my local Curves participated in a Curves event where members can meet once a week and talk about their failures, successes and how to live a better health style. Whereas my co-worker, the Curves in her city didn't offer that.

I hope this helps.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 7, 2009

Considering how sedentary I am teaching at home, ANY movement will be an improvement. My hope is to supplement it with yoga at home with my husband (keep the images clean, folks). I also have it in my head that I'll get there more than three times a week. We'll see about this one!

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 8, 2009

The only thing I would have to say about Curves is beware of cliques. Yes, it seems childish, but there are ladies who've been working out there for years at the same time everyday.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

Well, I just weighed in for a school wellness program. I'm 5'1" and 162 pounds. This is awful and something MUST be done.

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 8, 2009

Catnfiddle, anything is better than nothing :)

Remember, slow and steady weight loss is best. Over the past 14 months, with mainly diet and exercise (I did have a very low dose of rx appetite suppressant) I went from 188-148 and I'm 5'5. I have about 10-15 more lbs to go. So, that was about 3lbs a month.

You can do it!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I went to the Curves I used to belong to, and BOY has it improved! The machines are now computerized to let you know if your workout is optimal and there are nutrition classes available. Tuesday is when I'll get weighed and measured to start again. I'm actually excited to exercise again.