Cursive!?!?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newteacher08, Sep 20, 2006.

1. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Sep 20, 2006

Hello everyone ~ I am a college student in my senior year! I am currently working in a 4th grade classroom 2 days a week. I will student teach next year! I will be student teaching in a kindergarten room or 1st grade because those are the ages I want to work with! :love:

Today I had a wake up call.....the teacher wanted me to label all the student folders......I only print and haven’t actually written cursive since probably 4th grade.....so I start writing all their names and the teacher comes up to me to tell me that I have to write in Cursive! :sorry: I honestly didn't know what to do....I told her that I have printed ever since middle school started and I can't really even write in cursive anymore.....so I thought heck it can't be that hard I'll try.....well it wasn’t pretty.....I can't do cursive....that’s the bottom line....unless of course I take time and practice......it will have to be like teaching myself all over again.....I am 21 years old and almost done with college.....I feel so stupid! Am I honestly going to have to learn to write in cursive again to be a teacher? :confused:

Do your schools make you write in cursive for the students? I hope to be teaching K or 1st and I know they don’t write in cursive that early but you also never know what grade you will get....

3. rhassinger

rhassinger Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Part of learning how to write in cursive is learning how to read in cursive, so if cursive is part of the curriculum (and some places aren't doing it anymore, apparently) then the admins probably want the students to see a lot of cursive - starting with their names of course. Still, writing cursive on little folder labels is pushing it. Perhaps you could start by printing the names using a cursive font on the computer, then using the printout as a guide when you write it with pen. Using the actual output from the program might be acceptable as well.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 20, 2006

We start teaching cursive in the third grade. Fourth graders print their spelling words and other special times. Most all their work is cursive.

Go to Wal Mart and buy a penmanship cursive workbook and practice.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 20, 2006

I printed all through high school and college, but new that when I started student teaching in 4th grade that I'd have to practice cursive so that's what I did. Now my cursive is much better and that's all I use when writing on the board and what-not with my third graders.

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 20, 2006

In my district, we start teaching cursive in second grade, starting in January...

FYI - You may or many not get the grade you want to teach when you are looking for a teaching position. For the early certification is for K-3 so you can end up teaching 2 or 3 grade to start with.

So you may want to start practicing your cursive writing. Find out what program they use (d'Nealian or Zaner-Bloser)

I taught in one district that used D'Nealian and then moved to another district that uses Zaner-Bloser. So find out which one to use.

Have fun!

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

Am I honestly going to have to learn to write in cursive again to be a teacher?

Reality check...no! There are plenty of cursive font programs today to make labels, worksheets, etc. Besides, the fonts are more consistent than handwriting.

And yes, cursive starts as early as 2nd grade...so you will be expected to read some vey messy handwriting.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 20, 2006

You're right and I print many things out because my handwriting isn't that spectacular, but if you are expected to model cursive handwriting to students on the board, you will need to write in cursive.

9. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

I teach cursive the first semester of the year (in 3rd grade). They are expected to write most work in cursive in the second semester. Since they write in cursive, I do too.

I believe all work is done in cursive in 4th grade, as well. I would imagine if the district that you will teach in does something similar to this, you would have to know how to write it to teach it.

I learned D'Nealian in grade school and am now teaching using Zaner Blosser. They are a little different, so sometimes I have to take a peek at the book to make sure I'm doing it correctly. ;)

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 20, 2006

When I started my student teaching in January in 2nd, I had gone in to meet the teacher, class, talk to the twacher, etc. She mentioned to me that they'd be starting cursive when they came back, so she let me borrow a copy of their handwriting book so I could brush up on mine... I have pretty good handwriting both in print and cursive, but tend to switch back and forth... also, they use D'Nelian and I'd learned Zaner-Blosier... I took some lined paper and practiced what was in the cursive handwriting book over break... i had a LOT more confidence to teach it!!!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2006

Jobs in elementary ed, at least here in NY, are incredibly hard to find. If, by some chance, you have the opportunity to teach grades 3 or 4, it would be a crime not to be able to take the offer because of this.

I say brush up on your skills!

12. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Sep 20, 2006

I'm in the same boat. I could never write cursive so my sixth grade teacher told to just print and haven't written in cursive since. Now I'm a third grade teacher. I told my students that they have to learn to teach themselves through cursive. I also told them that their goal is to have better penmenship than their teacher by the end of the year. Some of them are already there.

13. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 20, 2006

I have yet to work in a school where cursive was a big deal. Thankfully, being that drilling cursive into our brains was a full-time job for the nuns at my schoo :) I am still able to write very neatly. I am hoping to work on cursive a bit with my 4th graders, because at this school they obviously learned it in 3rd. However, it is not listed as part of my curriculum and teaching the required material comes first. I am just one that would rather receive a super neat printed paper than marginally neat cursive paper.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 21, 2006

Cursive is not a big deal in my school, I don't believe. I have a few who don't even know how to write it at this time. I feel that if they can write a good essay and some other work in cursive by the end of the year, that it is an accomplishment. Rather than emphasizing the cursive, I emphasize the NEATNESS of the paper. I explain over the course of the year how cursive is important, though, and how they'll use it more in the future.

15. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 21, 2006

They start cursive in grade 1 at my school. If I recall correctly, when I was in teacher's college we were required to take a handwriting correspondence course from Zaner-Bloser that was specifically for teachers/pre-service teachers. (Most annoying, as even those with neat manuscript & cursive had to have the Zaner-Bloser certificate in order to graduate!) I don't know if it still exists, but if it does, maybe that would be an option.

16. busyteach

busyteach Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 22, 2006

Purple Tweety,
    It still exsists! I had to take the course via Zaner-Bloser too! All elementary education graduates of my university had to pass the course!!! It was time consuming but I'm glad we had to take it! I've always had neat handwriting but while taking the course I realized there were a couple of letters I connected incorrectly!!! I highly recommend this course! Each assignment is hand graded and accompanied with suggestions!!!

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 22, 2006

newteacher08
    I understand how you feel. I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I just graduated, but when I did my student teaching I had to train myself to take care with my writing weather I used print or cursive. Ever since mid school my norm of writing has been a fairly consistant mixture of print-cursive. I had to make some signs for the classroom, and had to review a few cursive letters that I do my own thing with. I felt so silly asking the EA and my CT for the cursive book, I couldn't remember certain letters. They didn't seem to mind.

Hatima