Cursive Writing?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss84, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

Beginning next Friday, I will have a "No Print" rule, meaning my students have to complete all of their work in cursive, even though they are only in 2nd grade. Personally, I despise writing in cursive, especially on the chalkboard, but I have to go along with what the curriculum says.

I am curious to see who has their students writing/ or learning how to write in cursive?
    At what point in the year do you have them complete all of their work in cursive? Or do you still let them continue to write in print?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

We learn how to write in cursive in third grade. I get to go my own pace through the cursive book. When we're finished I usually have them write most of their work in cursive. After Christmas I have them write everything in cursive.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

I HATE the rule about cursive and I think its unnecessary. They should learn it and should be able to write and read in cursive, but requiring it seems... Whatever. I like them to write so I can read it. However that may be.

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

Right now my students have the option of print or cursive, but when we finish the handwriting book (usually just before Thanksgiving), all their work will be in cursive.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I agree with you. Since I teach first grade cursive isn't an issue but I'd be interested in hearing why some teachers require students to write in cursive. If they can read it and write it then why is it required for all assignments?

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

I just began teaching my class cursive this past Friday. It will take most of the year to get through all upper and lower case letters. Once we learn the lower case I give them options as to whether or not they want to write their spelling words or tests in cursive. Sentences can also be written in cursive but any upper case letter not learned must be printed. I never require them to write everything in cursive. When did your students learn all of the letters?

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

My 4th graders can't write in cursive. It isn't part of the curriculum.

10. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

Well some of them are already writing in cursive, this school teaches cursive writing in the Pre-K program. We began learning cursive letters from day one. We have two weeks left to cover the rest of the uppercase letters in cursive, so by the end of this month (next Friday) they will have learned how to write every letter upper/lowercase in cursive. The ones who haven't had any prior experience in cursive writing are catching on well, they can now read in cursive and are in the beginning stages of writing words in cursive. It's not perfect, but it is legible at least. They write much neater in cursive which is a plus, but the con is that I will have to start writing everything down on the board in cursive as well.

11. km51571

km51571 Companion

Oct 18, 2009

most of my 5th graders don't know how to write/read cursive!! there's also no time in our schedule to teach handwriting! cursive is a lost art :eek:(

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

My district covers it in 3rd grade and it's a teacher choice what to do about it from there. My fourth grade son is required to do everything in cursive and I think he could get done faster and NEATER if he was allowed to print.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I require my students to write in cursive after Christmas because I believe it will become easier for them the more they write in cursive. I don't think the fourth grade teachers have the kids write in cursive, and only some of the 5th grade teachers do. Cursive really is becoming a lost art, but I still believe the kids should know how to read and write cursive. If I have a low or struggling student, or there is not very much time, I do not require them to write in cursive.

14. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

Well I figure they need to get used to it now, because in 3rd grade in this curriculum, you start off from day one writing in cursive. I clearly remember writing all of my work in cursive from 2nd grade on up.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I love cursive writing. I think it has personality. Just this morning I was searching through some things and came across a report card from my 2nd grade teacher. All her comments were in beautiful cursive. I remember wanting to write like her some day. I, tool, remember everything having to be in cursive from 3rd grade on up.

My first graders like to write their names in cursive. They all know how.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

Apparently cursive writing is part of the "unwritten curriculum" in grade three.

I have enough trouble getting through the written curriculum thankyouverymuch.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

That's the modern version Major. I learned the other one that was fancier. Where the X looked like a 96. Do you remember that one?

20. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

Yes that is the one I am using in my class-I am using the same charts/books I had in elem. school so their capital X's look something close to a 96.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

No Lemon I don't remember............ my cursive skills peaked at about the 4th grade. My X's look more like ........ well an "X".....:lol::lol:

BTW, when I'm writing an ultra quick note I mix cursive (which only my wife can read) with printing..... :p

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I turn my paper so far left, I know I would have a hard time writing cursive on a whiteboard. Wouldn't be able to get the angle.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

I was supposed to learn Cursive in second grade, never did. School district decided that I didn't need to learn it because I was in the MH class and it would be of no use to me.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2009

Writing legibly in cursive is a 3rd grade standard in Indiana. We switch over to all cursive sometime during the year (it will probably be after Christmas). Most assignments are to be in cursive the rest of the way through 8th grade.

I actually miss writing in cursive. I can write quickly much neater that way. When I taught 5th, that's all I did. I had to train myself to write in manuscript when I switched to third.

25. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

We teach it in third. Everything needs to be in cursive except spelling test after December. They write in cursive in 4th. Starting in 5th grade they can write however they want.

26. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

I do cursive in 3rd grade, and after winter break require it for final drafts.

27. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

I try to do some handwriting practice during word wall work. I have them write the word three times in their best printing. Try to write it without looking, then write in cursive. I model the cursive on the board.

I am going to start sending home cursive papers to work on for furlough days. : )

28. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2009

When I was teaching fifth grade, I taught cursive because the kids came in not being able to read it. I was worried they would get to middle school and have teachers expecting them to know cursive. I started around now and by the end of the year was writing everything in cursive.

29. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

Why does everything have to be in cursive? Why not pick 1 subject per week/month and require it to be in cursive and then let students choose the rest of the time. In real life people choose how write, why not give students the same option. Also, does all your writing need to be in cursive? for struggling readers, this may make important information less accessible. Put somethings in cursive (maybe a morning message that kids are motivated to read) and then print the rest of the day. Last time I checked most reading is done in print.

30. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

Our school teaches cursive in second grade, and third graders have to write in cursive all year. Practice makes perfect is their motto.

31. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

Their work needs to be completed in cursive because in 3rd grade they are expected to come in knowing how to read/write in cursive. I have gradually been switching from print to cursive writing on the board, and now all of my students, even the ones who are low readers, can recognize words in cursive.