Cursive~Who Decides?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ~Nicole, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Who decides if work needs to be in cursive or not-the teacher or the district?

I'm going to be teaching 4th grade next year and for most work as long as it's legible I don't care if it is in print or cursive. Can I use my phenomenal cosmic power (itty bitty paycheck) *grin* and make that call?

3. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I teach third grade and I totally agree with "not really caring unless it's legible." However, here is my motivation to make them write in cursive: Next year's teacher(s).
    Also.... "Use it or lose it." Students will soon forget how to write in cursive (and in some cases not be able to read it) The kids will then tell their teachers next year, "Miss Bliss said we didn't have to write in cursive last year." Then I get the blame from those teachers! That's my motivation :p

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 15, 2007

I teach 4th and our principal is adamant about the kids learning cursive. I made the mistake of not really starting them off learning it int he beginning of the year last year. (my 1st year at this school). So, this year I've ordered some really good handwriting books and I'm going to start the first day with it. Our 3rd grade teacher is "religious" about printing, and doesn't see the need for handwriting at all. To be truthful, I don't either....in this generation of computers and all. Still, since my boss wants it, I'm going to teach it, and enjoy it. I actually find it to be a dying art form.

5. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I have one question.... How are they going to learn to sign their name for legal documents when they grow up and read other people's cursive writing if they don't learn it to begin with?

Just a thought:confused:

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2007

Last year my first to fourth graders all learned cursive. We had practice at least three times a week. I required three papers be done in cursive. 5th to 8th I made them type everything.

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 15, 2007

Good point!:angel:

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I never learned cursive in school (made it though life without it), and personally feel that it is out of date. That is my opinion, and I know that many others do not feel the same way I do.

9. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

in our dist. they learn to write in cursive in 3rd grade- I'm just talking about daily work and such. Published work is cursive-district required.

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

My kids WANT to write in cursive because their peers are and they just have an interest in it. However, we still haven't mastered print - I tell them as soon as we can make all of the print letters correctly, we will move on to cursive.
    (I teach in a K-5 cross categorical special education classroom, but I will have one 3rd grader and four 4th graders this year, so it's about time for cursive!)

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

When I student taught in 2nd grade-they started learning cursive at the end of the year. The kids absolutely loved it! They couldn't wait til they learned enough letters to spell their name.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

Cursive is a faster and more fluid method of writing, making it better for students taking notes, etc.

13. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I totally agree!!!! (This is one of my soapboxes)

14. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 16, 2007

This is a tough one. At the school I was at for my internship, most everything the students turned in was eventually typed up on the computer.

The kids HATED practicing cursive and when they were writing, they printed.

We had to take my oldest to get her military ID and when she didn't know how to "sign" her name my husband flipped!!

I think they definately need to practice it, but at times it seems like a waste of time with all of the other curriculum that has to be covered. (Especially when everything is so computer based now.) I don't know what I am going to do with my class yet.

Also, out principal frowned upon "practicing" it because it was too worksheet based.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

I really don't care about whether they use print or cursive so long as I can read it. One of my boys last year had horendous penmenship. I told all my students that rough drafts of stories and papers had to be in print so that I could edit and conference with them, but this boy's mother made him do everything in cursive. When I was speaking with her about how this created a problem for me I suggested that he type his drafts and just save changes since the final draft had to be typed anyway. She told me (and I have not had much luck finding verification) that a friend/family member who teaches high school said the SAT has a written portion the kids will be required to take. It must be done in cursive and proctors/graders/whatever have been known to not grade or grade very poorly essays they can't read. Like I said, I have not been able to verify with this, and since I really couldn't argue with her on this point, I let the matter drop.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

We used to do it teacher by teacher, but it was a huge mess. I taught cursive and it was never reinforced by other teachers. There was another teacher who religiously worked on D'Nealian script. We just adopted handwriting without tears school wide. Everyone will use it now.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

The handbook requires students in grade 4-8 to use black or blue ink and write in cursive (exception for math) and I usually stick to this like glue. I read somewhere that good penmanship is a reinforcer of fine motor skills which make sense. Somehow the author of the book connected good penmanship with other fine motor skills and automaticity needed later in life as an argument for the teaching of cursive. I can't remember the book or the author at the moment though. Anyone out there read or heard of this before? How about the SAT written test?

18. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Cursive is supposed to be taught in 2 and 3 grades at our school, but the kids never know how. I have to start from scratch every year! The 3rd grade teachers complain about not having enough time. I don't feel that I should have to begin it in 4th grade. They should already have this skill by then, and all we should have to do is reinforce and help them improve. Their cursive is horrible, and the print isn't very good either! I give out the worksheets that come with our HM reading kits and model it on the board usually during spelling time. We need a solution to this problem too! Now I know why they call it "cursive!"

19. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Unfortunately, handwriting skills are not considered part of the "STANDARDS" and so are not taught like they use to be back in the OLD DAYS when I want to elementary school. That is part of the problem today. We concentrate so much on the content of what children are writing and not how they are writing.

20. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I'm being forced to require like, half of my assignments in cursive, by my district. I tried to put up a fight, but our third grade teacher got really mad since she teaches it. I can't even read it very well! I guess I'll be learning this year. haha

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I have the kids write SHORT final draft work in cursive once we have learned all the letters. This is because a one page printed piece takes two in cursive. The program we use has special paper that has larger spaces between lines than regular notebook paper. I don't have them write long assignments in cursive unless they want to. By the end of the year, they are all writing in cursive quickly and fluently, and I can ask that the do the longer pieces in cursive.

I write my morning message in cursive so they can learn to read it.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

On our local Catholic High School Entrance Exam, the kids have to copy a poem... in script. No ifs ands or buts.

My son, who is 9, just loves writing in script. And since he's learned it, his handwriting (both print and script) is just gorgeous!

His 7 year old sister keeps trying to learn it, and can do a reasonable job with her first name.

It never occurred to me that some kids haven't learned it, or that teachers are resistant to teaching it.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

I have tried correcting their writing and/or reteaching, but by the time they get to me they have been doing it incorrectly for at least two years and the habits are neigh on impossible to break. My school requires all work turned in to be completed in cursive (or printed by computer) after 3 grade.