Cursive Handwriting? Grading? Teaching?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Matt633, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

I am wondering what most of you do with handwriting? Do you have a cursive text that you use? Do you still grade handwritng in fourth grade? What should I expect from them? Do you have them write everything in cursive?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 1, 2007

We use the D'Nealian handwriting book at my school. We have formal handwriting lessons every day until the book is finished, usually around Thanksgiving. Up until that point, students are allowed to use print or cursive for assignments. After the book is complete they are required to use cursive on all assignments.

I grade handwriting using the evaluation pages in the workbook. I'm using a 4 point rubric that looks at spacing, letter formation, slant, and size relationships. After the book is finished I pick one assignment a week to grade for penmanship. We give letter grades for handwriting on report cards.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

Thanks Poppy! Our school begins teaching cursive in second grade and I thought I would just be able to grade some written work, so I opted to not have a workbook. However, I still have some children who have trouble forming the letters together and we can forget spacing!!! I also hate that I have some children who write beautifully and really do not even need to practice.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 1, 2007

We have a cursive workbook that we use several times a week the first few months. I do not grade handwriting. As the time for state testing approaches I encourage students to write in either cursive or manuscript, whichever is most comfortable for them, because legibility is so important on the test. I do make sure that every student can READ cursive handwriting, also.

This year I have several students who cannot legibly write their own first name in cursive! This will be my first objective for them.

6. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I find the best practise is by doing. Since the grade threes are taught how to write letters and words in cursive, I focus more in integrating it with their regular writing. Everyone's handwriting is different so I'd rather use my instruction time for more useful things. Whenever we write, we write in cursive. I don't grade it because it's no measure of intellectual skill. Doctors are pretty bright but have you seen their handwriting on those prescription pages? :)

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

I let the kids choose whichever is comfortable for them on daily work. On final written pieces, however, they all use cursive.

8. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Our kids are to write pretty much all the time in cursive (4th grade at a private school). They have handwriting books, that I do grade (just not every page!). I kind of look at a few of their assignments and go from there. After awhile, you know what the child is capable, and what deserves an "A" or a "C".
    Good luck!

9. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

i have them write everything in cursive and i take their grade from their spelling test on friday, i have a stamp that says writing and i just write in the grade underneath the stamp