Cursing in the classroom

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by lucybelle, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I have a potty mouth. And there's been more than one time where I've almost cursed in front of kids. Not at kids, but in front of them. Does this happen to anyone else?

Once my kid who broke her leg asked if I wanted to see her x-rays. I responded with "helllll-eeeck yeah!" :lol:

And just the other day I slammed my knee into my desk and let out a long string of profanities. Luckily, no kid was around to hear that!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

That needs to stop.

Today.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

You have to go into 'teacher mode' when you get to school...filter!:blush:

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I said "crap" in class one time and had a student tell me that it was inappropriate.

I don't allow students to cuss in my classroom (****** is a no-no word too) so I shouldn't allow myself to do it either.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 16, 2012

If I injure myself painfully when there is no one around, or only a few people around, I might inadvertently let out a "dammit!" Otherwise it comes out as "AAAYYYEEEAAAHHHOOOWWWW!"

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

It happens to me. It's not a big deal in my school. I've never said the f-word in front of students though. I've said words beginning in "h", "s", and "a." I also teach at a school that is not very conservative. In a religious school, like Alice's, that would not fly.

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 16, 2012

I'm really bad with "damnit" and "s**t" when I mess up. I don't say them out loud, though; more so under my breath. I've been working on it this summer. I'm a lot better now than I was in June.

A few weeks ago when we were rolling the piano from the chorus room into the theatre (packed full of my campers), we were going down a ramp and I was going backwards, and the person pushing it wasn't paying attention, causing a metal piece to collide with my shin. It HURT, and I started to say "mother f---" but caught myself, so it was literally just a long "fffff" sound.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

In my kids' public school classrooms, it would not fly either.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

Mike, I've caught my self in a situation like that many times before. I know one particular History teacher at my school does not have the best language. It has never been a problem. Parent's have never complained; neither have students. She is an excellent teacher and relates well to the students.

11. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

My world of work is a rainstorm of f-bombs and other variations of the root word. It is what it is - prison.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Alice,

I work with several teachers that retired from teaching in NY. Two were in Catholic schools and the others were all in public schools. They cuss more than any of the other teachers. One was my dd's teacher and she frequently comments on how often he dropped the F bomb in class. Sixth grade.

When it came up in discussion at my school one of the former NY teachers laughed and said "It was LONG ISLAND! Of course we cussed!" and the others chimed in. Saying it was a hard habit to break after years of being in NY schools.

I'm sure that the NY school system doesn't officially sanction cussing in the classroom, but I'd find it difficult to believe that it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Must swear off from swearing. Bad habit.
    --Rutherford B. Hayes

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I really try to sensor myself in school, but every once in a while it slips out.:) I certainly don't do it on purpose, although I do use "SOL", which only some students get.

When growing up some of my teachers cursed, it wasn't a big deal to anyone. In fact, we sort of liked it. It made teachers seem like less of "goody two shoes" and more like actual people.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

I don't curse at all. If a teacher taught upper grades and let a curse word slip once and then apologized I think it would be okay. I think children in upper grades would be mature enough to understand that mistakes happen. You should really try to break the habit though.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Perhaps your experience is more valid than mine. But I've been in Long Island schools, in one way for another, for 45 years.

With the teachers I know-- those on LI, those who teach in the city, whether in public or private schools, it does NOT happen on a regular basis.

And if it did in my daugther's 6th grade classroom, I would be addressing the matter.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I use SOL a lot. But it is "stuck out of luck"

And I say "what the heck" Oh my Gosh. Dagnabbit. Shoot.

One time I apparently mouthed "dam" when I banged my ankle. Yes, I know how to spell it properly, lol. I don't remember it so I guess it could be true. A few students claimed they saw it but didn't hear it. One said it made me "legit." @@

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Perhaps it is. I only know what I hear from time to time, what the students tell me and what the teachers admit themselves. Those Yankees love to laugh at how conservative we Southern folk are, lol.

And I'm sure you would address the cussing 6th grade teacher. And I'm sure it would have made just as much of a difference as when I did.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure how or why this became about Yankees or conservative southern folk.

But I have more important concerns on my mind, so I'm bowing out.

OP. You're a role model for your students. You need to hold yourself to at least as high a standard as you would hold them.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

I don't get it really. I can refrain from cursing just as I can refrain from doing drugs...I don't really understand why it's so hard for some people to use appropriate language.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Alice, those are some of the things that are said by the transplants when such topics come up. That cussing in class isn't nearly as big of a deal in NY. Those natives to the area that have a problem with it are just too conservative. THAT'S how Yankees vs. Southerners got added into the conversation.

Math,

I understand a little bit. With some people it is just habit and breaking habits is hard to do. Some people, myself included, haven't quite developed that nice little pause between thought and speech. In everyday conversation it is easier to think before you speak but sometimes under stress the words just flow too quickly.

22. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

Try refraining from it when that's all you hear all day from the inmates and staff. No excuse, I know. Our chaplain, of course, doesn't, and even our guard at the school (maybe one of the 5%) doesn't at all. I was terrible about it before I got here and now am worse, but don't take it home. I have, on the other hand, learned some impressive and colorful words I've never heard before here.

Pretty sad when you walk into a co-teacher's office and say "Hey, can I borrow your M***** F***** sissors?" hahahahahaahahahahaaha

23. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

Right, but you're not a student.
    I could refrain from it the same way I can refrain from flirting with my students. My students do a lot of things in class that I don't.

With that said, I could see how it could help build rapport with certain prisoners who feel like everyone is against them.

24. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

Ummm I'm not sure you could compare using drugs with cursing...

25. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

It's never been a problem, really. It's just part of the prison underworld that the general public doesn't know, or want to know, about.

26. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

Absolutely you can. It doesn't mean they're equally bad though. It means that they are both well within your control.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I think cursing is more of a subconscious thing. I mean to do drugs you'd have to earn money for the drugs, buy the drugs, buy the drug paraphernalia to take the drugs, find somewhere to do the drugs... etc. Cursing is more of something that you just accidentally do. Like picking your nose or twirling your hair. Some people just do it without realizing.

28. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

All I can tell you is that you can't say you can't get caught up in it until you work on the "inside" and see what happens. And don't believe anything you see on TV about prison.

29. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

It shouldn't have, but this made me laugh.

Students at my school have abysmal language. I never called them on it directly, but if it was easily audible I would give them "the look." I noticed that by mid-year, they would look at me guiltily to see if I heard, and by the end they weren't doing it at all hardly in class. The example you set can make a big difference!

I did have a chat with the class a few times about how well certain language flies (or doesn't) in work situations.

30. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

An accident is an accident is what I would have said to the OP. Obviously you need to try really hard to make sure it doesn't happen, wherever you teach, but none of us are perfect.

However, your post came across as oh yeah up in NY teachers are cursing left and right and it's totally okay, no big deal. I haven't been around teaching nearly as long as Alice, but I did also go to school in NY for 17 years between school and college before teaching and I can't remember one instance where a teacher cursed. I even went to public school.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

While I can understand an occasional, brief outburst when you're in pain or something, I don't think that swearing in front of students is appropriate. I'm speaking for myself in my own classroom here, and I have higher expectations for myself. I still have little outbursts when I bang my knee on my desk drawer handle (happens all the time--I think I have a permanent bruise!) but I go with "Uffda!" or "Aw, man!" rather than a swear word. It's not that hard. I swear in my private life, but I don't swear in my professional life. It's about code-switching.

I also expect that my students won't swear in my classroom or in my presence. I will call them out on it when I need to. Many of them swear a lot, so much so that it doesn't even seem to phase them or register with them when they are swearing. For example, it has happened many times where a student was telling me about his weekend and he said something like, "And so I missed the f-ing bus and I was like, 'aw, s-.'" I stop them and say, "Whoa! Who are you talking to right now? Start over." They sometimes don't even seem to realize that they just dropped a few bombs, but they always apologize and rephrase. Then we move on. It doesn't have to be a big deal or something that they get in trouble over, but it does need to be addressed.

I feel like it's my obligation to lead them to make good choices and use appropriate language, and one way I can do that is to model those things myself.

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

That must be why they all moved down here - to complain about our laws and cuss in class!

I don't for a second claim to KNOW what these teachers did while they were in NY. I only KNOW what they told me and what I've witnessed myself. I'm not going to testify to anything in a court of law, lol. Just putting it out there that some private and public school teachers from NY do cuss around their students. To counter the implication that it never happens there.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

NC...there may be teachers in every state who curse or worse..and we could probably gather those stories....generalizing about an entire city's/state's teachers is uncalled for. I wouldn't make sweeping statements about my own state's teacher population, never mind a state I don't live or teach in. I have, however, lived and taught both north and south of the Mason Dixon line...my children went to schools in states in the south as well as in the north...neither of them ever had the experience of a teacher cursing in their presence...and had it happened, you can bet parents would have had something to say about it, whether north or south, conservative or not.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Neither of my children have ever told me about any of their teachers swearing in class, and between them, they were in public school for 25 years!

One of my students a few years ago said to me, "MrsC. I'd love to hear you swear just once." I told me that my children have never heard me swear, so my students certainly wouldn't. (I'll admit to having used some less-than-choice language in my office with colleagues, but never when students were in the building).

35. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

LOL, you need to re-read the posts. Probably twice. I have never generalized about a state's teachers. Just the opposite, I was refuting such a generalization.

And really, you honestly believe that a teacher NEVER cussed in front of your children, ever? And you honestly believe that WE believe that could even possibly know such a thing?

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I have a relationship with my kids where they are honest with me. Sorry if that's hard for you to believe.

37. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

I remember my class would be in shock even when a teacher said "crap". I think the problem I have is less with the swearing itself, and more with the fact that if swearing is seen as acceptable, then what else is?

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Math...my kids think 'stupid' is a bad word and that you shouldn't say 'hate'. I love that.

39. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

our kindergarten teacher once pulled her shoulder out of it's socket while she was teaching and said a long string of cuss words because it hurt so bad. She later apologized to her class and explained that it really hurt but they should never ever repeat those words...
    She called all the parents that night and one of the conversations went like this after explaining what happened:
    Mom (talking to the daughter while on the phone): Did Mrs. K get hurt during class today, sweetheart?
    Little girl: yes
    Mom: What did Mrs. K say when she got hurt?
    Little girl: OH DARN

The little girl TOTALLY covered for her teacher!!!!

40. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure how many kids would tell their parents that their teacher cursed in class. If it was everyday, sure, but a few times? Doubtful.

I have always told my parents all sorts of things, but something that trivial wouldn't have stayed in my brain as something I wanted them to know about my day.

41. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

I don't think I have ever used profanity in my classroom. I don't swear much, anyway, so it's not something I have to think about. I would not tolerate any of my students swearing in my class, so I wouldn't break my own rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.