Curriculum

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MilitaryPara22, Aug 23, 2008.

1. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

Hi-
    I was offered a teaching position on the first day of school and accepted. I had the rest of the week to prepare the classroom and will begin teaching this Monday. This is my first year- and I'm an alternative certification student with only having taken 3 classes. Needless to say I'm LOST!!!
    My question is, I don't understand the curriculum and how to teach the curriculum while using the text and incorporating the text and all that. I know it's a vague question, but all this curriculum stuff is confusing!
    How do I start making lesson plans??
    There are other teachers in the grade who say I can follow their lessons, but I'm often forgotten and left out... help???

3. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I am in the same boat. I do have a mentor but he just tells me to do whatever I want. I couldn't believe it however I just looked at the district website and there is a scope and sequence section for each month of the year. It tells you what you should be teaching from the textbooks. I hope that helps a bit. take care

4. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

When you say "curriculum," what does that mean? Do you have something very specific, like a planning and scheduling timeline that tells you what page you should be on and when, or do you just have the list of state standards? What subject/grade are you teaching, and what text are you using? The more specific you can be, the more help we can give you :)

It may be up to you to follow up on others' offers of help. As we all know, it's a lot easier to say that you'll do something than to actually do it! Plus, the beginning of the year can be chaos no matter how long you've been doing it. If someone has offered you lessons, gather up your courage and drop by their room and ask for them. Be polite, of course - "You mentioned you had some plans for x lesson that you could give me. When you get a chance, can you bring them down or put them in my mailbox? I really appreciate it!" Then follow up.

For Monday, don't worry too much about academic lessons. The kids need some time to get to know you and each other, and you need time to establish your basic rules and procedures. Start there. If the kids are old enough, get a writing sample of some kind. It sounds like you maybe have elementary? - check the elementary boards for first day of school stuff. It's not the kids' first day anymore, but it's your first day with them, so it's OK to still do some of that stuff.

5. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I teach fourth grade, and I have the comprehensive curriculum and blackline masters (What is a blackline master?)for all of the subjects I am teaching (Math, Reading, ELA, Science, SS).
    The curriculum shows the GLEs for the grade and they are grouped according to the Units.
    Each unit is outlined as to how long the time frame is and provides activities to cover each GLE. It's all outlined very well and while it doesn't provide the lesson plans, it pretty much lays it out for what you need to teach.
    I guess I'm just lost as to whether I should follow it to a "T" or if I should follow the book, and I'm afraid that I won't cover the GLEs appropriately. ALso, there are workbooks that go with it all and extra resources... I just don't know what to use!!
    I feel really silly asking these questions to other teachers because they talk to me as if I should know this stuff already. And while they're right, I just haven't been taught as to what all this stuff is yet and how to use it.
    Thank you for all your advice :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2008

Blackline Masters are sheets that can be copied for the students to use. I am in Louisiana but teach in a private school so we are not bound to the comprehensive curriculum but I have attended lots of workshops around the state and it is always discussed. You are supposed to follow the comprehensive curriculum but you can switch one activity for another as long as the same GLE's are taught. There always seems to be lots of controversy over the comprehensive curriculum. If I were just starting out I would probably follow it for the most part and add my own twist to what is there. If I liked something from the textbook or any other source, then I would add that in to what I am teaching.