curriculum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stef527, Jul 31, 2005.

1. stef527

stef527 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I am hoping hoping hoping to get a job in a school district soon. I interviewed and the eligibility list comes out in a few weeks so i will find out then. If I do get a job, I will be rushed to start planning for the first weeks of school. Can anyone explain about how curriculum is set up. Does administration tell you what to teach and you set up lessons to go along with it? How do you get ahead with planning when you get the job a week before school starts? This makes me nervous! Any advice/answers?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2005

I use the state standards to make a "year at a glance" scope and sequence with all subjects so I can integrate whenever possible and not leave anything to chance. With accountability being such a big issue these days, leaving out any TEKS is a baaaaad idea!

4. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Teaching starts with your standards, and as teacherintexas stated, use that to make your plan. Also, districts will have initiatives that they are focusing on, so that will guide your thinking too. Also, sometimes you can adjust your standards/curriculum because of your class. I've had students master something earlier than predicted and I could move on. On the flip side, it takes longer for some things. But start with your standards. Don't go too deep, because you'll bind yourself. Have an idea of where you need to go.

5. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Definitly....STANDARDS, STANDARDS, STANDARDS. My suggestion is to download your state standards off the internet and start looking them over for whatever grade or grades you want to teach. Get a real handle on them, and they will guide your thinking. Also, like IndyJo said, every school district/coroporation will have thier own initiatives and things they want you to focus on with your students. Just go with the flow, and have fun doing it! ;) No need to stress out. Good Luck!
    [​IMG]