Curriculum question

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by musicteach, Aug 5, 2009.

1. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I have taught K-6 music for 7 years, and will be starting a new job teaching K-2 music at 2 schools. The previous music teacher retired and left me a TON of resources including his USB flash drive and notebook of the curriculum w/ ALL his lesson plans from last year.
    It is apparent he wrote the schools' music curriculum, and it's very good-but very specific and different from what I've always done.

Do you think I will be expected to follow his curriculum/lesson plans or will there be room for changes? Since I've always done whatever I wanted (within reason of following state standards) I'm a little unsure of what to do and am full of self-doubt that MY lessons are inadequate.

While it's very nice to have a plan laid out for me, it's also a little frustrating to feel like I've lost that freedom I had before. What would you do? Advice?

3. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I would come straight out and ask the principal what you just asked us! I have had principals who let me do whatever I wanted in music, and then one who let me pick the curriculum, but then surprised me (actually "shocked" would be the word!) one day by closing me in her office and yelling at me about why I was incorporating art into my music lesson (we were doing "Pictures at an Exhibition"), and that I should just be teaching folk songs! Bizarre. Anyway, I'd rather "lay the skunk on the table" so I knew where I stood and could confidently go from there. Just have any changes in mind to give him/her examples so he/she isn't afraid you're just going to go off on a tangent!

4. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Yes, I plan to bring it up if it isn't brought up at my meetings. I will also have a mentor who is the music teacher in the 3rd-5th building, so I'm sure she'll be a great resource.

5. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Yes, you are correct-- You should ONLY follow the curriculum set for you... no exceptions! If you stray one iota from what was done before, you should be fired! And as far as following curriculum is concerned... your state has clearly mapped out everything, so all you have to do follow, no questions asked!

I hope you see where I am going here!
    YOU are the teacher... YOU are the expert... YOU provide the passion... YOU make music meaningful for the children!

If I have any advise for you, dear soul, it is...
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
    You know what to do...
    Now DO IT!!!!

Scott Connuck