Curriculum Opinions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FourSquare, Mar 21, 2010.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 21, 2010

So I found out all new AUSL elementary schools will be using K-5 "Everyday Math" curriculum and "Reading Street" language arts curriculum. Does anyone have any experience with these in grades 3-5? (I am 99% sure I'll be placed in one of these grades.) What do you think?

I appreciate the good, bad, and the ugly. :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2010

I tutor several students from a neighboring district who use Everyday Math. It is a spiraling curriculum. I like the games that are used, but find that the materials and lessons don't align with our state standards, the lessons can be frustrating to students and some of the 'algorhithms' used can be confusing to both parents and students.

4. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Mar 21, 2010

We use both of those programs for our math and reading curriculum in our district.

Personally, after working with it for a year, I love Everyday Math. Reading Street has more holes in it and it can become very frustrating. If you want more details or have specific questions, let me know.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 21, 2010

Can you please define spiraling curriculum? (I don't know all those special teacher phrases yet. :wub:)

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 21, 2010

My district also uses both programs. Spiraling just means the concepts are introduced and then spiral back over and over again before mastery is achieved.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

Spiralling has students revisiting curriculum content ideas repeatedly, building upon them until the student has grasped the concepts...