Curriculum Mapping

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beezus, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

Does anyone here do curriculum mapping?
    Anybody use TechPaths to do it??

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 28, 2008

I remember cm from school but I can't remember how it's done. What's "TechPaths?"

4. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 28, 2008

Oh my gosh, I spent about 8 hours on my CM this year for my STing. We had to map out the whole year, though. It was SO time and effort consuming, but when I was done I felt so great and it has been extremely useful. My map even got distributed to the grade team because it was so thorough (not to toot my own horn... :blush:).

I haven't heard of TechPaths. I used the good old-fashioned method of notecards, markers to color coordinate by content area, strands, and specific standards, tape, and poster board. My hubby came home to an explosion of these supplies in our living room and the look on his face was priceless.:haha:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

I normally do it informally over the summer. I just set up a table in Word.

I take a look at the syllabus, and break it down into lessons, complete with tentative homeworks. Then I check to ensure that I have fewer lessons than days in the marking period.

I ALWAYS deviate from it. But I like having it in front of me as I plan, to ensure that I really will have time to cover all I need to.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 28, 2008

I do mapping, but I create a large web on a big piece of paper (like 11x17) and I use a web so I can see where I can integrate content.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

We're mapping our math curriculum this year- don't know what program we're using.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 28, 2008

I plan by each unit. I have a document for each unit. First I list the corresponding chapters in all my textbooks and regular history books. Then I list the standards, essential questions, and objectives to cover. I used to have a table with each question, objective, etc. and how I met it but now I just put the standard, #, etc. next to how I meet it in my unit plans. The same goes for differentiation, blooms taxonomy, multiple intelligences, etc. when I am using one of these I put which one it is in parentheses next to the item in my plans. This way I know I am covering the standards and appealing to various strategies that I think are crucial.

Next I list all tests, quizzes, projects, and papers for that unit.

Now I start in on my day, by day plans. I number each day, but do not assign a day to it. I simply just outline what we do during each class period exactly (with time approximations) and list the homework. Again next to each item I list the standard/objective and any strategy it may use. I then print them and put them in that unit's binders. I also highlight any new items that I need to create, research, work on, etc. Every Sunday night I then just look at the unit plans and type up a weekly plan which I give to the students and I use as well.

9. who me

who me Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

We are in the process of doing our curriculum mapping. We are also soon to be introduced to TechPath. I have an all day workshop coming up in 2 weeks on that program and then I have to train the teachers in my school. Are you using it?

10. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

yes-- we were introduced to it last year. This year, we have to map weekly.
    SO- it's a bit different than the mapping most people here are describing. In addition to having the maps you all are talking about, we have to map what was actually done each week. It's a bit time consuming.
    I was wondering if anyone had a helpful hint on time management for it.

11. who me

who me Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

Does this take the place of doing a lesson plan book? Is there sharing of activities with others? Are there any questions you can think of that I should be asking at my training? I don't know when we have to start using it but I know all of our schedules are already uploaded so my guess is around November. How are the other teachers at your school reacting to it? I'm afraid to see how the faculty at my school will react. I'll have to remind them again that I'm just the messenger.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

I never even knew it had a name when I started doing it. In fact, until I read otherwise here, I referred to it as my "overview."

It doesn't take the place of my plan book, since I do my planning week by week-- I tweak what's in my curriculum map.

I like it because it puts today's lesson into a larger context. I can see what topics are coming up next, and it helps me narrow (or expand) my focus appropriately.

If you're already familiar with the material you'll be teaching, it really doesn't take much time.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2008

I map each class during the summer. Heidi Jacobs has 2 wonderful books on Curriculum Mapping. I was able to hear her talk in person last year at the ASCD conference. I make a list of my GLE's, guiding questions, and skills. As I assess a skill, I mark it on my map.