Curriculum in son's class?????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by missypoopoo, Mar 30, 2006.

1. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 30, 2006

My husband and I have some concerns about the curriculum in our child's class. We received his report card which had great grades. But we are not sure how he received these grades since we don't see much coming home. Our concerns were science, social studies, and math. Decided to email his teacher and ask how the students are assessed in these classes. She sent an email back that stated that much of the assessing is done by what she sees the students doing in class, on pages they do in class and on tests. Well we have not seen any papers come home, nor have we helped him study for any tests or had any come home. (I did call parents of other students in class to make sure that we hadn't just missed this material coming home.) In her email she also said that she assesses the math on participation in class.

Would you wonder how the teacher is coming up with these grades? We are concerned that the material needed to meet the standards is not being covered.

There are 24 students in his class and as a teacher I know that I would want to have some concrete assessments.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 31, 2006

What grade is your son in?

4. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

He is in third grade.

5. finetimes123

finetimes123 Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

Curriculum

Unfortunately, this does not surprise me. I am currently a student teacher in 2nd grade and one of the questions I had that seemed to offend the teacher I'm with was what are you doing to assess besides just the tests of each section in math. Most of it is observational. She keeps checklists of things that are finished or handed in, but as far as science and writing, etc...there is no "grading" per se and it makes me nuts. :eek: This is especially bothersome since I'm then evaluated based on not doing assessment other than observation. For instance, in math, they do independent practice in a workbook. Sometimes they get it, sometimes not, and I always go around and check and then we review as a class, but not all can keep up. You have every right to see how these "grades" are being decided. I do know that most schools will do a beginning and mid year reading assessment formally, and in between, simply change the reading levels. This is NOT how I will run my own classroom, but for now, it is how it is being done. If the teacher does not satisfy your concerns and questions, go to the principal.:D

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 31, 2006

Hmmm.... if no papers are coming home, how can you be sure of grades. I could only see maybe tests not coming home. The tests we have are not allowed to go home. We do however send a sheet telling parents the grades made on each test. That should not be the only thing grades are based on though.

7. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

Thank you both for your replies. We are concerned that so few papers are coming home. I could see no test coming home, but we believe that the students have only taken one science test and that was in the fall.

I did call other parents just to see if their child had brought home any other papers or work from school. These parents said that they too had been wondering what the students had been doing. They also said that they were glad that someone was questioning this. You see, we are new to the community and the school. What a way to get involved in school by complaining. But we feel that our children's education is so very important and we are concerned. We will be making an appointment to speak with the principal next Monday. The teacher emailed us and said that she is not a "paperwork teacher". I know that you don't want to do worksheets constantly, but we need to SEE what is going on.

Always vowed I would not be a parent "like this" who complains, but we are not getting good answers from the teacher and feel we need to. But as a teacher I feel guilty being this "complaining about a teacher" kind of parent.

Again thanks for your responses. I do appreciate them

8. finetimes123

finetimes123 Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

Certainly I understand a more hands on approach, but if the kids are not completing any work that can come home, then it is up to the teacher to send something, like a newsletter to let you know. Don't worry about complaining, let us know what happens. Good luck!

9. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Mar 31, 2006

I teach third grade. While I do a lot of informal assessment during the day, I also have quite a bit of pen and paper work that is completed. I don't send papers home each day, but send a packet home on Fridays. I would express again to the teacher WHY you are concerned. Let her know that you just want to know what they are doing in class so that you can help at school. With no papers being sent home you are lost as to how to help. If you still don't get any relpy, go to the principal. Have you talked to any of the parents in the other classes? Is it just this teacher or maybe a requremnet she has been given from the higher ups?

10. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

To luvmykids

Did contact her again and said that we were just lost as to what they were doing. She wasn't able to give us and explanation other than she is not a "paperwork teacher". So I guess right now the next step is the principal. :( Not what we had originally wanted to do.

As to whether this is the norm in the school. I know that it is not. I am a sub for the district and have subbed in every grade except kindergarten. It is only this way in the 3rd grade.

Decided to talk to the principal and ask her to speak with the 4th grade teachers. If they tell her that the students are prepared for 4th grade than we will let it drop. I can't believe they are prepared. My son is a very good student and I know that next year is going to be a headache as far as homework goes and studying for tests, since they haven't done these this year. I know that the 4th grade is so much more demanding. Guess that is what started the red flags flying.

Thanks for your advice.:)

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 31, 2006

Whoa

Please just be careful about blanket statements of how you will or won't run your class. It is possible that you don't know all the ins and outs and requirements that the teachers have to deal with. Even as an intern, trust me, you haven't been exposed to it all. You may very wel be able to make changes for the better, but it may not be that easy. Please don't immediately assume that the teacher is at fault and that he/she is doing everything by their own choice.
    At our school, it can be VERY difficult to one teacher to try anything different than what the rest of the 'team ' is doing. There are pressures from every angle to keep the status quo.
    Anyway....for the concerned parent. PLease calmly make an appt for a conference. Don't go in assuming the teacher is at fault. As a teacher, I'd wonder why it is nearly the end of the year and you are just now wondering how grades are done and noticing that papers aren't coming home...based on that...I'd assume you already understood the 'system' and might not realize you truly don't know how it works in the classroom.
    In our county (maybe state?) 3rd grade teachers are required to keep a portfolio of student's work, so it makes sense that less work would be sent home. Perhaps the teacher has a file of your child's work you can look at. I know that I often send home work that never actually makes it home. Students leave things in the room, on the sidewalk, in the trash, etc...so more MAY be beig sent home than what you see. I just know that teachers are put in the postition to have to defend themselves so often, that they (we) get a bit defensive sometimes. If you approach this as something you just don't understand as opposed to something that the teacher is doing wrong, you are much more likely to have a positive outcome.
    Pam

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 31, 2006

I would make a conference with the teacher first. Ask about how grades are recieved in class. Tell her your concerns about going into 4th grade and not being ready for the intense work load. Try again before you go to the principal.

13. finetimes123

finetimes123 Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

14. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

To Pamms and Miss W

Thanks for your input. We have spoken with the teacher on quite a few occasions. We had noticed at the beginning of the year what was going on. But being new to the school we weren't quite sure if it was the norm. But after subbing in this school in all grades except Kindergarten, I now know that this is not the norm, only in the 3rd grade.

The next issue with being new to the school was that we didn't want to seem like trouble makers. I too have had those parents who are new and come in thinking they know everything. That is not what we wanted to be. So we waited thinking it would begin to change in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Well no change. So we spoke with her at the last conferences, had another conference with her and another set of parents about the math curriculum. Called her again to ask about the assessments, and finally sent the email. I think we have contacted her quite a few time actually. She becomes defensive when questions are asked. So we now think it is better to go through the principal.

This teacher will not even look at me when I am in the building subbing. And this is not what I wanted, to alienate her :( I am taking the chance here of never getting called back to sub in this district because I am asking questions. This is a very rural area so there aren't many schools for me to sub in. After speaking with at least 4 other parents about the class, I am pretty sure that all of my sons papers are coming home. Especially since these other 4 parents haven't seen anything having to deal with SS,S and very little with math. I don't think all 5 kids would be loosing the same papers on the way home.

Again, thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated.

Have to say I have a heavy heart feeling we need to do this :(

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2006

I would be opening my mouth and asking questions. And if I wasn't satisfied with the answers, I'd ask some more. You don't have to sound harsh or like a know it all, just be a professional and a concerned parent. With what you have all said, I would be concerned by all means. Communication is very important and it seems like the communication is missing. It's not necessarily the curriculum I would be concerned about, but more or less the lack of communication between school and home.

16. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 31, 2006

I am sorry you are having to go through this. When I see posts (yours and one of the responses) that seems to put the blame on the teacher, i am generally quick to jump to the teacher's defense...conversely...in my own circle of teachers...when I hear a teacher complaining about parents...i feel I am quick to defend the parent. I guess I just want to be sure everyone thinks about both (or all) sides before acting. It sounds like you have done that. i agree that often there is not nearly enough communication between teachers and parents in general. I know at my school, we are often 'guided' away from giving more info. I know I would be SO out of the loop if I didn't work there...even though my daughter goes to my school!
    Pam

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 31, 2006

Is she the only 3rd grade teacher?

18. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

To Miss W

No she is not the only 3rd grade teacher. But from talking to parents in the other section too it is much the same. But since we don't have her we can't say much. That is for the parents of those students to do.

Thanks for all the support.:)

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 31, 2006

Missy,

I have taught in third grade at several different schools (closing school -- moving to new school, etc.) It sounds like you have done a great deal to let the teacher know you are concerned, and to try to find answers. As a teacher, I always hate it if a parent goes over a teacher's head to the principal without even giving the teacher the chance to respond -- but this certainly doesn't sound like the case with you.

Being a good sport and supportive of your child's teacher is very admirable and as a teacher, I greatly appreciate it. That said, as a parent, your concerns sound legitimate, and you are not getting the answers you need. Don't feel guilty about going to the next level. You are your child's best advocate, and that is, as you already know and have expressed, your more important role.

As a teacher, I have shuddered to watch good teachers persecuted by just out-and-out annoying and nutsy parents. Although it doesn't happen all that often, it is, unfortunately, part of the job.

But the part most parents don't see is how many times, as a teacher, I've shuddered at the downright substandard teaching I've seen in some instances. It gives the majority of teachers, who work hard and are there for the kids, a bad name.

I've seen teachers who spend most of the day on the internet. I've seen teachers who spend most of their day on their cell phones. I've seen teachers who run businesses DURING school hours from their cell phone or classroom phone. I've seen teachers who grab students, call them "stupid," yell. belittle, or just outright ignore the children all day while daydreaming, earning money from a home business, or ebaying. In some parts of the country it is next to impossible to get a "tenured" teacher or teacher near retirement out of a job unless what they do is illegal. Everything I observed was clearly observed by administration, or ignored by administration -- which amounts to the same thing.

I would say that the HUGE MAJORITY of teachers are wonderful, dedicated, hardworking people. But please, don't assume every teacher is. As in any business, there are some who just don't do what they sign-up to do. Just like there are bad ministers, bad reporters, etc etc, there are bad teachers out there, too.

As my venerable grandmother used to say, "If it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck... its probably a duck!" Good teachers can explain how they grade, just as the one poster explained how she does informal assessments. If that is what is being done, the teacher should be able to clearly describe how these informal assessments are performed, and how, as a parent, you can stay informed and help your student succeed.

Don't feel guilty. Somewhere, in the distance, you hear "quacking!" Don't squelch that inner voice that is speaking truth to you.

20. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Mar 31, 2006

One thing I would do is download the state curriculum for your child's grade level and see exactly what it is that should be taught and what your child is expected to do by the end of the year. Ask your child about it. By this time of the year most of the curriculum should be taught and your child should be familiar with some if not all of the content. I wouldn't meet with the principal or the teacher without having this prior knowledge.

21. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 1, 2006

From where I'm sitting, I don't think you are complaining. You are simply asking reasonable questions. And reasonable questions deserve reasonable answers. You have a right to see any records kept about your child, any time you ask to see them. And if there ARE no records, THEN you've got a complaint. :)

22. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

Send me good thoughts please!

Thank you so much for all of the advice. We have an appointment to speak with the principal tomorrow after school. Please if you believe in prayer say a few for us. I don't want to go in bashing the teacher. Just voicing our concerns. Sometimes I tend to get very emotional when it comes to things like this and speak before I think. My hubby on the other hand, is very much the other way, he thinks through everything, which usually helps me keep my head. :eek:

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice. Being new here it is nice to be treated in such a friendly way. Other boards I have been on haven't been nearly as nice as this. Thanks to all.

missypoopoo

23. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Apr 15, 2006

I'm sure you've already asked your son about his day. Is he bored? I teach 5th Grade and rarely send work home with the kids. I have them keep work in notebooks ... which usually stay at school. I do assess with paper and pencil, however the majority of my class grading is done with alternative methods. Guided reading discussion groups can't be graded with a written test. My kids are currently playing American Revolution Jeopardy (Social Studies) on games they made in groups of four. The assessment is built in. Our classroom 'greenhouse' is a work in progress as kids learn about plants. I also use lots of Think Quest activiies in the computer lab. Your son's teacher should be able to tell you what she uses. Worksheets and red ink won't insure you that your son is learning.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 15, 2006

I just thought about a lot of the stuff I keep for portfolios. That might be part of it.

How did the meeting go?

25. limaca

limaca Rookie

Apr 15, 2006

Hi there,
    I just logged on and was reading the posts on this thread. I was wondering what the outcome was. If you spoke to the principal or not. My thoughts on the topic were that I think you have done the right thing. I do agree with the person who said to check the curriculum and see if it is being covered. If the assessment is lacking then you are not only helping out your son, but many others to follow. I believe that sometimes, even though it is hard, you have to do what you feel is right. I would feel the same as you. Truthfully, I don't know how strong I could be in trying to get to the bottom of it all. Good for you for trying. I hope everything has worked out well.

26. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 15, 2006

meeting with principal and to 5thgraderocks

Thanks all for the comments. Sorry I haven't posted but my hubby and I are finishing our basement. So between work and the basement, I haven't had as much time as I would like to post.

We did meet with the principal. She was very receptive to everything we talked about. She too thinks that 3rd grade can be more subjective, but also agreed that there needs to be some kind of assessment to show how the students are doing that the parents can see. We also told her that we didn't think they had been doing much by the way of social studies. Her comment was that the teachers don't have as much time for this because of reading and math. While I do understand this, how can my son have a grade in a class that they haven't been doing anything in? A friend of mine subbed in my son's room a few weeks ago and they were only on page 5 of the book. The principal was surprised by that and said she would be talking with the teacher.

My husband also asked her to please speak with the 4th grade teachers and see if they think the kids are coming to their classes prepared. She tried to evade that request. But before we left I point blank asked her if she would do this and let us know how they feel. If they feel the students are coming in prepared than my husband and I will not have much to say. She finally agreed. This meeting was two weeks ago and we still haven't heard anything from the principal. So emailed her and she responded that she hadn't forgotten and that she is still gathering information. So not sure what that means.

To 5thgraderocks, I agree that worksheets and red ink won't assure us that our son is learning, but at least than the parents would actually see that their kids are doing something. I know that might sound crazy, but some parents do need to see things. As for asking if he is bored. He is. I am nervous that his reading level has fallen. They will be taking the NWEA tests soon. So we are hoping that they won't show that his reading has fallen. I am worried that he is loosing so much of what he had already attained before starting at this school. :confused: Other parents we have spoken with are feeling the same way.

Will keep you all posted when we hear more from the principal.

Happy Easter :angel:

27. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 16, 2006

My only thought on this is that sometimes teachers jump around in the book depending on the 'theme' or certain material they want to cover first, so they jump around. My sons 5th grade class does not go in order in his SS book, but they are covering the curriculum. Some also find the books 'boring' or outdated, so they use other material .

28. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 16, 2006

I think you had/have a right to be concerned. I think you spoke to the teacher often enough that going to the principal was necessary. The only thing I would caution you about is talking to the other parents too much. Often that lead to a bigger problem than what already may exist. We call them "parking lot moms" at our school. I'm sure what you were asking other parents was probably not distorted. But once you start talking, that opens the door to other parents talking and soon the problem can become a bigger problem than what actually exists.

29. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 16, 2006

I like that term 'parking lot moms'.

wig's point is a good one, it's like spreading wildfire (playing telephone, where what was actually said was no where near what was said at the end of the line). Don't let the principal make light of your concerns though. Just keep, nicely reminding her (not too often as you don't want her hiding when she sees you coming) that you were still curious about answers to your questions. Just so she knows you have not forgotten she said she would get an answer to you.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2006

I teach second- Here's a little insight on my grading

Reading- grade is based on conferring with child during idependent reading workshop time, running records, miscue analysis...You won't see much coming home from me her other than assigned reading time which students log each night

Writing- students keep a writers notebook and writing folder as well as writing across the curriculum. Parents are invited in for writing celebrations but what they see at that point is very polished. I grade on progress as a writer over time as indicated by notebook, folder, etc....again you wouldn't see all of this coming home

Math- in my class you would see A LOT of this coming home. Nightly homework reinforcing classwork, morning warm ups, timed drills, math games, math problem solving notebook . (all but the notebook are sent home)

Science and social studies- very hands on, experiential. Sharing books, conversation, writing across the curricuum, experiments....You'd see A LITTLE bit of this....

31. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 16, 2006

My children's schools have the gradebook online. Not only is there a grade, it lists the assignment and what it was worth. So it would read Social Studies vocabulary words lesson 5.1 90/100. Or for the Middle and HS Letter grades or percentages. This is for all elementary, middle and high schools in our district. So when I do not see papers coming home, I am able to look on-line and see what they are doing.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 16, 2006

That's so true. I don't use our SS book much, because I have lots of other resources. I find that our SS book doesn't have most of the stuff that we are required to teach (frameworks wise), or what I have might be better. I also try not to introduce anything new when there is a sub. Then again, we don't take a grade for Social Studies and Science. Parents do get a checklist of what we've covered with each report card. We also send out 5 week reports between each report card.

czacza grades pretty much like I do. What you'll see most of coming home is Math. There are some weeks that we won't have much of it due to Field Trips, state testing, and all the other things that come up; but you will have it. I try to send graded papers home the first day of each week, but sometimes things happen where I might not get them out. They then usually come home the next day, or I'll put a note in the Monday News that they'll come home the next week. My parents are pretty flexible with when I send them home. They know they can contact me at any time, either by email or phone. I also update my website each week for the students and the parents. It's a major communication tool for me.

33. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 19, 2006

You people are great!!! Thanks for all of the responses and advice. I do know what you mean by parking lot moms. After having been a teacher for 20 years I have had to deal with a few. That is why we are trying to handle this in the "right" way. If there really is such a thing.

Emailed the Principal 1 time since our meeting and that was 2 weeks after the meeting. She responded that she was busy gathering information and hadn't forgotten about us. I do see her at school when I am subbing, but we never talk about it when we meet. Don't think that would be very professional to do that in the hallway.

As to the class only being on page 5 of the book. They had just started it. The book does cover the standards set by the state, I know this because we made a point of asking about it. I too had thought that maybe she was coming up with her own lessons to cover the standards. But principal said she should be using the book. I know they had just started it because I asked my son how many chapters they had done in the book. He told us this was the first one.

Lesley, there is an online gradebook for us to check, but the third grade teachers post nothing. When asked about this the principal said that the lower grades didn't have to use it. Then why have it?

I am beginning to get frustrated, when my sons teacher sees me in the hallway I always make a point of greeting her. She will not even acknowledge me. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. :( I am not sure what she has been told about our meeting with the principal. But whatever it was it must not have been very nice. Now we are wondering if it even pays to voice concerns when you live in a small district. I am sure we are the talk of the town.

Again, thanks for all of the advice and responses. This is a wonderful place to come and discuss concerns.

34. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Apr 21, 2006

My day is so cut up with pull-outs and other 'stuff' I find that I just don't have time to teach science and social studies as 'stand alone' classes. Before you faint ... :) ... this is what our 5th grade team has done. We spent several days last summer aligning Science and Social Studies Standards with ILA Standards. When we use the word integrate, we mean it!! When you stop to think about it, add up the 'new programs' that have been added. At our level, kids begin band lessons, participate in the DARE program, learn German 30minutes per day, etc. etc. :eek: All of this is added without extending the minutes in the day. Our three teacher team puts a priority on a PM recess, too. Our Social Studies books haven't been assigned this year ... so that makes page five look a little better. We have lots of maps, science experiments, and learning centers. I cannot imagine how I would find time to post letter grades online!! :eek: I'm anxious to hear what happens with the principal, too! From what I've gathered so far, it seems like your son's teacher needs to firm up her school to home communication. She may be doing a great job ... but unless it's communicated to parents, there will, and should be, questions!

35. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Apr 28, 2006

Have you heard from the principal or your son's teacher yet??

36. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 29, 2006

To 5thgraderocks

Good morning,
    Just stopped in quickly to see what was going on. I have heard from the principal, but don't have time to go into it right now. My brother is coming to help us finish up the electrical in our basement. Will get back on tonight to tell you what happened. Let's just say we are not totally happy.

Have a good day :)

37. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

May 1, 2006

Sorry I didn't get back to post. Just got very busy with everything.

As to hearing from son's teacher, she will not speak with us. She is very upset with us for asking these questions. I am not sure what the principal has told her, but she will not even acknowledge me in the hallways of the school. This is exactly what we told the principal we didn't want to happen.

Principal sent us an email answering our questions. Hubby was a little upset that she didn't call and set up a meeting with us and contacted us through email. She told us that the students are assessed at the end of each unit in all classes. It is just that they are not sent home. This is not a school policy, just this teachers choice. Which I understand, but again we see little to nothing from each class. So, we are not sure what they are doing.

We also asked if the teachers who will have these students next year feel that they come to their classes prepared. Principal said, yes the teachers feel they come to their classes prepared. Well, can't go into it, but I know that is not what they told her. They told her they didn't feel that the students were very well prepared.

So where do we go from here? We are not sure what we will do. He told us he hates to go to school now. This from a child who from the time he was in preschool couldn't wait to get to school. I asked him why and he said because we don't do anything in class. We do everything together. (By the way we haven't spoken about our concerns to him or in front of him) Now I know that some of this is just being ready for the end of the year, but some of it is because he has been bored. We should have said something sooner, but didn't want to make waves. But I guess we changed that.

I know we all talk about parents who do nothing but cause trouble. But I know after being in this situation, as a teacher, if I have parents asking questions and complaining, I will need to step back and take a look to see if any of their points are valid. I never want to be in this situation as a parent again. :(

Thanks for listening and giving advice. Feeling down about the whole situation.

38. p3teach

p3teach New Member

May 1, 2006

what grade is the student in?

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 1, 2006

3rd grade I believe.

Missy, I'm sorry you and your hubby...and son, are completely frustrated. It seems like this teacher is being very childish by not even acknowledging you in the hallways or anything. That alone would cause concerns to me. I think she needs some serious training in proper communication. I would think that if she really thought she was doing everything right, she wouldn't be acting this way, know what I mean?

40. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 1, 2006

I agree JenPooh, if she was doing everything right, she would not be upset and would be talking. It may be that it was discovered that she was not doing her job as described by the school system. I know you are in a tough spot right now missypoopoo, but if parents do not speak up for their children, who will? The education they receive now affects next year and the years after that. I would rather have a teacher upset with me than spend the next year kicking myself for not speaking up about concerns. I think you went in the right pecking order with your concerns. You started with the teacher and when concerns were not addressed you moved to the principal. If you know for a fact that he will not be prepared for next year, I think you might want to talk to the teachers to see what you could work with him on over the summer so he is prepared to enter their classrooms. I am sorry you are going through this tough time, but from what I have read, you have done nothing wrong.

41. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

May 7, 2006

It sounds like a no-win situation at this point. Maybe you should look at the 4th grade team and request a teacher for 4th grade. You've taken your concerns to the principal without much success. I think you can keep your son 'on track' by encouraging him to read every day during the summer. There are so many great series for his age. Parents who care ask questions! The teacher (and principal) seem to have forgotten the importance of the home-school connection! There is such a huge difference between parents who care and those who demand special treatment, make excuses for their kids, and even do their homework!! No kidding. I have a mother who is quite a gifted writer when compared to my other 5th graders. She just does not get it!! When the kids write in class, her daughter writes well. When she brings in a story or any written work from home ... oh my gosh!! It's so obvious! I put two written pieces in the portfolio for conferences! The difference was so obvious. Right there ... in front of her daughter ... she said it's so much easier for her daughter to write when she's not under pressure to finish in class:) This parent is off base ...in my opinion. You've merely requested information on what your child is doing in class. While a ton of paperwork is no guarantee, the immature behavior she's demonstrating seems to confirm your concerns. Hopefully, she's the exception at your son's school! Even though you really shouldn't have to do this, summer review is a good thing. I like the series What Every 3rd Grader Needs to Know. There's one for grades through 5th or 6th I think. I'm sorry I don't know the author, but I have copies at school and can give you exact info if you aren't already aware of these. With two kids, it probably would be something they could both use for reference!! Good Luck!:)