curriculum in kinder

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by uschachica, Oct 6, 2014.

1. uschachica

uschachica New Member

Oct 6, 2014

Hi All, this is my first time posting... i'm hoping someone can enlighten me. My admin decided to implement a new curriculum called Reading Street starting with my kindergarten class. I do not like it AT ALL. I can go on and on about why I do not like it... but I'll spare the details. What can i do about it? I've spoken to admin but they want us to try it for the year but i just feel like my reputation is on the line.... it's making the class boring and i don't feel like students are learning. what to do?!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2014

Is it boring because it's too easy? If that's the case, see if you can't use the 1st grade curriculum. It's been a while since I used the K program. We use the 1st grade program in K, moving slower then what you typically would.

4. teachmore

teachmore New Member

Oct 15, 2014

I agree with kpa1b2. It is so hard to keep young minds on task when they are bored. I sometimes use a "special reward" when trying to keep their interest. I will read them a special book from my kindle. Here's a link to the book we just read. It asks fun questions and encourages self awareness...
    Ooops...new members can't post links. The book we read is Who's Who at the Zoo by Vicki Lister. I found it in the kindle store, but it comes in paperback as well.

Good luck!