Curriculum Help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by agordon_afw, Sep 1, 2013.

1. agordon_afw

agordon_afw New Member

Sep 1, 2013

I am the director of a small daycare. I'm looking to renew the curriculum. I have never worked with any of these in my state. Does anyone have experience with Creative Curriculum, High Reach or High Scope. What did you like, not like. I would like to have one that teaches my teachers as to how to handle situations that may arise from the children. Did you need extra training to work with the curriculum. Any help would be appropriated.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 1, 2013

I have done High Reach and liked it, except for the expense versus how much you still had to make at the time. For teachers who are learning it maybe helpful because it has a script. CC and HS both are more philosophies rather than Curricula in my opinion. They don't tell you what to put out....they tell you how to put it out, what to do with general categories of tools for you classroom and how to plan Curricula for your group.

I don't know if anyone else will think the same way....that is just my opinion.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 1, 2013

Our district uses Creative Curriculum and its definitely more of a philosophy than a curriculum. We use Teaching Strategies Gold online for data collection and observation, but its a very time intensive process and requires a lot of training. We have about 30 preschool classrooms across the district so some of our teachers worked together to create literacy and math curriculum maps, which are extremely helpful for planning. If you're looking more for something like that, Houghton Mifflin offers a good preschool curriculum, though I don't if its adaptable for a year-round daycare program. Starfall.com also had a new preschool curriculum you can purchase that seems to be well organized.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 1, 2013

Thanks 929....I just didn't want to sound like the authority on CC. I like/love CC ......but I thought like that anyway. I have known many people who have taken a lot longer to get to know CC. Of all of the choices above, CC is my favorite....but it is NOT a quick fix. High Reach leads you down the though processes for CC, if that helps any?

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 2, 2013

I only have experience with Creative Curriculum, and I like it. It gives you the standards you want to meet, but you are free to choose activities yourself to reach those standards.

I especially like the Teaching Strategies Gold. It does take some time to learn, but after you take the time to explore the site it is a really good guide. They offer ideas of activities to meet each standard and you can track each child so nobody falls through the cracks.

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 2, 2013

We use GOLD also, but we use the Tools of the Mind Curriculum with it. I am new to both, so I can't give a valid opinion on both quite yet. Although GOLD seems VERY time consuming, someone tell me that it gets better once you get used to it!! lol:dizzy:

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 2, 2013

Gold is very time consuming! I teach an AM and PM session, 38 students total. Doing 1 observation for every standard, then putting in checkpoints, 4 times/year...it's crazy! I don't think it's a good tool for daycare use, as the original poster was asking.

9. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Sep 3, 2013

If you do the Math on teaching strategies it quickly becomes apparent how over the top and over structured it is. I have 20 kids. I need to have observations for each child in each of the 50 areas. Preferably more. If I meet just the minimum, of one observation per area, then I've entered a thousand observations in one quarter. And since I do many, many more than that, it becomes apparent how much time I spend sitting in front of a keyboard entering data. I really want to know why this can't be streamlined?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 3, 2013

I don't believe a small private day care needs to use a complex curriculum like CC or High Scope. If you have a degree in ECE you can easily create your own curriculum and scope and sequence. If you need support, find a prepared curriculum. When you find one, let us review it for you.

11. agordon_afw

agordon_afw New Member

Sep 3, 2013

In the state of NC in order to be a 4 or 5 Star daycare you have to choose a curriculum the state recognizes and approves of. They give you four to choose from...CC, HS, HR and PITC.

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 3, 2013

My experience with GOLD was a good one, mainly because of the support of my administration and co-workers. I was encouraged to learn it one step at a time. My supervisors understood that I was going to have skeleton plans at first, and that my observations and checkpoints would also be rather skeletal. They just encouraged me to work on it a little each day.

At my center we have scheduled time without children for planning/assessment/documentation. It is still a crunch to get everything done on time, but if I consistently put in about one hour a day on documentation, the checkpoints are not so difficult.

Also, to be honest, and speaking for myself, I do not see any way that every single checkpoint for every single child could be exactly documented or reported. I do the best I can. When I was trained on the GOLD they told me that for some checkpoints, I would have to use my best judgment because I would not have documentation for every single item.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 20, 2013

Creative Curriculum is really more of a style of teaching than a curriculum. I like the ideas, but it would be more helpful to me as a teacher if it gave more of an outline with specific activities and topics to cover. It covers child development and sets standards for age appropriate learning. It is pretty much the same information as what I learned in my education classes; it included current research as a foundation for its information.