curriculum for pre-kinders

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Dec 27, 2010.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010

If you teach pre-kinders (4 &5), would you kindly share with me what curriculum you use?
    Please also include whether you teach in public or private.
    I am looking for a math/language/handwriting curriculum.
    Why do you like or not like what you are using?
    Thank you in advance for sharing.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

The curriculum that you choose is based in a large part on the make up of your group and the desires of your hire ups. Please tell us about your group and your admin so that we can help out.

4. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010

Not sure exactly what you need to know.
    I am looking for an academic program. I have 15-20 students (amounts vary year by year)
    My prekinder (4 and 5 year olds) class is part of a larger elementary school, but they trust me to choose a program. The goal is for the students to do well in kindergarten the following year. I have no problem adding the science/ss/art/social skills etc to the program myself, however, if it was included that would be a plus.
    I am looking for a quality language/math program as a minimum.
    I figured the best place to start would be with those that have experience with various programs, and perhaps they could explain what they like or dislike about their program.
    That would be more useful to me than reading literature where the company only says good things about themselves. I don't want to waste their money on something I'm going to end up not liking.
    I am going to some conferences and I'm hoping to see some stuff there as well.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

Our district uses three programs- we only have 2.5 hours of the day- I'm pretty sure they randomly select the materials-

The one our school has is called "The Investigators Club" I'm not a fan nor is anyone else at our school so it sits in a closet.

I have had experience with "The Blueprint" curriculum. They do have high quality books which I do like- all the books in their series are wonderful (and books you would find at a store- i.e. Actual children's literature). The "Message Time Plus" was a bit "to academic" for my liking at the time in my class I had many "age cycle 2 and 3 year olds."

I work in a public district. Our program is only 2.5 hours- we have multiage. 2( Sped only) 3 and 4 (age on Sept 1).

Our OTs use Handwriting Without Tears. We have some of the materials from the program out in our room.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

7. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010

Chicagoturtle - I've been following this board a while, are you still with CPS? If so, don't forget to add OWL - Opening the World of Learning.
    I've used OWL at a previous school and LOVED it. It uses authentic literature, similar to Blueprint.

The school, where I am currently, uses "The Investigator Club." Not a big fan of this, at all. Principal bought into this curriculum and used it to replace OWL. At our PD meetings, I've met a handful of teachers who love this program and the first question that comes out of my mouth is "why?!" To make it work, I just supplement units with my own books, songs, poems, etc.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

Maggie, do you have a degree in ECE? If so, you can write your own curriculum. Here are the outcomes I suggest using. All of us will be happy to help you, just give us more details of what your employer expects.
    http://www.hsnrc.org/CDI/pdfs/UGCOF.pdf

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

Yes still in CPS- We got OWL at my first school two months before the end of the school year and then they cut our program out of that school-- so I can't speak to it at all- It arrived in like April or May. I don't even think I got a look in it- but I know people have.

The Investigator Club is sitting in the closet of our school- and we're not afraid to tell our ELLCO and ECERS people so- - It's awful! I nearly screamed at the training I was sent to on several occasions. No high quality literature whatsoever!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I have a BS in ECE. I was taught that math, science, reading, art, etc. are the basis of a curriculum. I looked at OWL and it looked like is used family and friends, weather, etc. as the curriculum. I thought those things were considered themes.

11. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I have a BS in ECE, however, I don't know that I have the time to write a curriculum from scratch. I alreadly do the art,health, science, ss, etc myself, I was looking for something prepackaged for language, and math.
    In my view the theme is a fun thing, usually science or social studies related, that links all the subjects together for a period of time.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

Right on Maggie. So you need a curriculum plan for math and language concepts. I would look at ones that teach pre math skills and literacy skills. It needs to be creative and not worksheet oriented. Good luck. I never used a prepared curriculum except for religion. I have always written my own.

Good luck.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 28, 2010

I have used portions of curriculums to network my own together. I would say for the letter identification/sound/phonics portion that I love Zoo Phonics for the full body learning aspect and the fact that it is easy for me to hook the animal science and geography type topics.

Let us know what you find that works for you.

14. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 29, 2010

I am piloting SRA Building Blocks for math and I LOVE IT!! It has great DAP activites very manipulative based. I also love ZooPhonics http://www.zoo-phonics.com/. We also use handwriting without tears which is wonderful. Our reading curriculum is Reading Street and I really don't like it. There is no connection between the stories or letters, and the the phonemic awareness is very week (it doesn't teach letter sounds)

I teach public pre-k 3.5hrs am and pm.

15. skerns

skerns Companion

Dec 29, 2010

Curriculum

Our school is a faith based private school and uses the Abeka K-4 program. This is a very phonics rich curriculum and I have used it for 10 years. I do like the system with which they teach letter, sounds and blends. I do not like the amount of paperwork and cut that back considerable. The handwriting is so-so. They learn to form the letters first, then the first half of the year tracing them, then the second half writing on their own. My complaints are: the lines and size, too small. The math is a bit weak and I have adopted Saxon math for my class. I do Saxon three days and Abeka 2. Saxon is more hands on.

If I personally could pick a curriculum, I would choose Saxon Preschool and supplement with my own social studies, science and electives

16. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 30, 2010

Thank you for your suggestions so far. I am starting to take a look at all of these.

skerns- I didn't find a saxon preschool program. Are you using the kindergarten program?

17. skerns

skerns Companion

Dec 30, 2010

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 3, 2011

we don't use a specific curriculum. I have to design my own curriculum based on the needs of the children and where theya re at and where I want to try to get them to be by the end of the year. We have goals and objectives that we need to meet and that is the basic guide for our curriculum

19. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

We use DLM Early Childhood Express 2003 edition.

20. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jan 12, 2011

I teach Pre-K (4's) and for language I have created my own language curriculum using pieces from Hand Writing without Tears AND Jolly Phonics. From my understanding HWT was built for kids who need OT which most of my kids dont but I really like the idea of breaking down the letters into lines and curves. So we do that on Monday. On Tuesday we go over how to make the lowercase form of the letter and also go over the Jolly Phonics sound. We dont usually do too much on Wednesday because for most of Spring, Summer and Fall we are at swimming lessons. Thursdays we add a page to our letter books - we read a book about our letter, come up with a list of words starting with that letter. Then everyone practices that letter uppercase and lowercase on their paper then draws one or two things starting with that letter.

21. LifeSkills

LifeSkills Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

I teach 3-4 year class in a public school. We use Let's Begin with the Letter People. I like it, it gives a lot of science/social studies/art ideas to go along with the letters. For math we use, Everyday Math-Pre-k. I don't like out math program, it doesn't give many activities and you're supposed to do shapes one day, counting the next. It seems to skip all over the place. Good Luck.