Current Reads

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stargirl, Oct 13, 2021.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 16, 2021

I have Apples Never Fall on hold at the library. Hopefully I will get it soon.

nstructor likes this.
  2. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 16, 2021

I have Apples Never Fall on reserve at the library. Last I checked, I think I'm currently #90....

Last weekend, I read The Boys, which was a memoir of growing up in Hollywood by Ron Howard and his brother. No real juicy gossip, I'm sure they have lots of dirt on celebs, but they kept it classy. It was an interesting read, though, especially if you are a fan of the Andy Griffith show (which I am, I love the black and white reruns. So soothing and heartwarming to watch).

tigger88 likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 17, 2021

I'm #154 :mad:

4. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 17, 2021

Lol as of late last night I've moved to #70

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 17, 2021

So... I should create a Goodreads account? If so, should I see about putting together something for here?

nstructor likes this.
  6. Mikecoffee

Mikecoffee Rookie

Dec 18, 2021

The latest Jack Reacher novel. Can’t remember the title, but it just came out a few weeks ago. Bought it in book form and paid a fortune. That’s how addicted I am.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2021

Does anyone get the free books for First Reads on Amazon? If you have Prime you get a free ebook every month. Some months you get 2 books. I'm so mad that I didn't know about it the first year we had Prime.

8. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Dec 21, 2021

I am on number 3 (The Tell Tail Heart) of the Cat Cafe Mysteries by Cate Conte. This staying at home all the time gives me lots of time to read. Something that I very rarely was able to do during the school year. Although I have to say, after being off for almost 3 months, I am ready to go back!! But I am still not sure when that will happen. My first round of treatments ends next week. Then I have 8 more rounds after the first of the year. Then I will have surgery followed by radiation. I am hoping since radiation doesn't interfere with your immune system that I will be able to work while getting it.

9. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 21, 2021

Oh, I hope everything goes smoothly! Thank you for posting the update tigger88:heart:

tigger88 likes this.
  10. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 21, 2021

I don't currently have Prime but when I did, there weren't many free books I was interested in. It really depends on your reading taste.

11. Naturegirl59

Naturegirl59 New Member

Dec 22, 2021

I am reading: If you Lived Here You’d be Home By Now. It’s a good read. I needed something lighter from the “heavier” books I’m reading.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2022

Sending positive vibes!!!

tigger88 likes this.
  13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2022

I read a few books during the break:
    *The Last Summer at the Golden Hotel by Elyssa Friedland
    *The Newcomer by Mary Kay Andrews
    Both I would say are probably Chick Lit. I liked them.
    Also read a handful of cozies from Kindle Unlimited.

Right now I'm in the middle of Witchy Coffee by Erin Ritch.

Also going to start The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie for one of my Goodreads book clubs. My other Goodreads book club is reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2022

Yes, you should! I couldn't live without it. There's also an app called Story Graph but I haven't figured out how to use that yet.

15. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jan 3, 2022

Mystery of the Blue Train is one of my favorite Agatha Christies:) Interestingly, she wrote in her autobiography that she thought it was the worst book she wrote, but it's the one she'd gotten the most fan mail about. It is a little cliched with stock characters but it's done so well and is just a plain fun read (imo).

My favorite Mary Kay Andrews is her book Summer Rental. Perfectly captures the vibe of a beach getaway.

I just got Anderson Cooper's new book about the Vanderbilt family from the library, and am looking forward to reading it. I enjoy reading autobiographies and people's family history books (famous or not)-- I just find them interesting.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2022

I'm 2/3 through The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (well, on Husband #5). REALLY enjoying it!

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 4, 2022

I really liked this book!

I am eagerly awaiting Elizabeth George’s new book coming out Jan 11th. I rarely purchase hardcover books, but have pre-ordered this one.

I have heard that Operation Hail Mary, by Weir, is good and I am on the waiting list on Overdrive.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 4, 2022

Does anyone get any book boxes? I have gotten a few and they were fun.

19. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jan 4, 2022

Nope, but I'm a very picky reader. I mostly like reading books from a few favorite authors that I know and trust;)
    Otherwise I get most of my recommendations from Lauren Willig's blog. Besides being one of my favorites, she has very similar reading tastes and I almost always like her recs. She updates her blog every week or so with her current read. Sometimes it's a new or upcoming book, sometimes it's a vintage read, it's very varied.

20. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jan 4, 2022

I am almost half way through the book To Fudge or Not to Fudge by Nancy Coco. it is book 2 in the Candy Coated Mystery Books. I haven't read the first one in the series yet but this one has been really good so I will be on the look out for it :) I buy a lot of my books from a thrift store in my are. Paperbacks are just 50 cents each and hardbacks are $1.00 each. I love when I stumble across new cozy books/authors that I have never read before.

stargirl likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 5, 2022

If you liked the Cat Cafe mysteries try the author's other books under the name Liz Mugavero.

tigger88 likes this.
  22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 13, 2022

After the recent passing of the beloved Better White I listened to her book Here We Go Again. She narrated it and it was such a delight to listen to. I highly recommend it if you get a chance to pick it up. I'm not a fan of autobiographies in general but really loved it.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 13, 2022

I love Nancy's books. Make sure you check out her other series.

tigger88 likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 13, 2022

I usually get my books from the library books or ebooks but if there's a one that I can't wait to get I will go ahead and buy it no matter the cost. I don't spend my money frivolously but in my opinion books are always worth it.

tigger88 and stargirl like this.
  25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 13, 2022

I'm trying to catch up on all the Murder,She Wrote books. I have read most of them but I guess I missed some. Getting one from the library later this week.

26. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jan 13, 2022

I've got too many books going right now because I just keep finding new things to read.
    Currently rereading the 3rd Magnus Chase book, and then I'm a couple chapters into "The Body Keeps the Score" and halfway through "How Children Succeed." Magnus Chase is a nice break from the weight of reading about trauma.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 13, 2022

Oh, yeah. I'm in the middle of at least 4 books. One hardcover book is on my coffee table and I read a few chapters a day since my friend and I are buddy reading. I'm listening to an audiobook only when I'm driving so that will take at least another week to get through.

tigger88 likes this.
  28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 15, 2022

Found myself rereading Hench for the fifth time minimum. It's such a compelling story!

29. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jan 24, 2022

Finally got the new Liane Moriarty book from the library, Apples Never Fall.:)
    Saving it for the weekend!

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 25, 2022

I'll probably get my copy from the library sometime in April LOL

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 25, 2022

Almost done with The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Over the weekend I read an older Murder, She Wrote book. Those are really quick reads for me.

32. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jan 25, 2022

I have the first Murder Club book on my TBR pile...bought it at the end of the school year in June with a gift card from a a student because I heard glowing things about. Still haven't started it though, guess I really should! It's just that I've gotten distracted by other books, lol.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 2, 2022

It was really good. I'll probably read the second one soon.
    I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It was interesting. Not sure how to explain it but I kept waiting for something to happen at the end to explain everything that went on.

stargirl likes this.
  34. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Feb 2, 2022

I am just about finished with Tying the Not (A Southern Quilting Mystery) by Elizabeth Craig. I also started Nacho Average Murder ( A Country Store Mystery) by Maddie Day but I am not that far into it. I sometimes read two or three books at a time. On my TBR pile are: Shear Trouble by Elizabeth Craig, The Cracked Spine and Of Bags and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton, and A Dark and Stormy Murder by Julia Buckley.

Another place that I like to buy books from is the website Better World Books. I am sure a lot of you already know about it but for those who don't, you might want to check it out :)

stargirl likes this.
  35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2022

I have the audio book of You Feel It Just Below the Ribs. It's a book that fits into the alternate universe in the podcasts Within the Wires, but it stands on its own as a novel. I've already read the book but REALLY want to hear the audio. Why? There is a narrator for the narrative and a second one who reads the footnotes, and the two voices fight for who has the true story. Seriously, I haven't read anything like it before and am excited to hear the battle.

stargirl likes this.
  36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 3, 2022

I've never tried Better World Books. Do they sell use/discounted books? I'm looking for sites like that. I've heard Book Depository is good.

tigger88 likes this.
  37. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Feb 3, 2022

ThriftBooks is my favorite. They usually arrive really quickly, plus you get points toward free books.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 3, 2022

Yes, my friends have used this one. I totally forgot about it.

39. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Feb 8, 2022

Yes Better World Books sell used books. Many of them are ex library books. They also offer sales throughout the year :) Some of the books I have received from them are almost like brand new.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 9, 2022

I'll keep them in mind. Not that I need any more books I actually need to get rid of some of my books. I don't reread them so I only want to keep a select number on my bookshelf like books I haven't read yet, signed books, or books received as gifts.

tigger88 likes this.