Current Events or Mini SS lessons with 3rd grade

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Ellensmom, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Does anyone do current events with your class? I am thinking I want to alternate my mini lessons between Science and SS. If I teach one full Science lesson say on Monday, I would do a mini SS lessons that same day. Then I would switch the next day. Usually, our schedule has made it tough to get both of them in each day, but maybe that was because we used to switch. I know I can do map skills, but didn't know if it would be best to just do some parts of the book's lessons, or mix it up. I am excited about getting to teach some SS, and since I was the one who pushed for not switching, I really want to make this work, but I'm at a loss. :help::help:

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

In our grade 3 classroom we found out what worked best was teaching one unit completely of science, followed by one unit completely of social studies. There is so much information you are giving the students that you want them to be able to concentrate on the one area and learn that as best they can. Each unit took about 10-14 days. Both subjects required projects to be done and we also did not want to overload the parents or students with the requirements for those extra assignments as well. If we did not finish the lesson in one subject, we knew we would just pick up where we left off, with less time spent re-explaining and reteaching. It worked out, and the students seemed to enjoy it.

4. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I was kind of thinking along those lines. Since we have switched for these classes in the past, I'm worried that the parents won't like they aren't getting both subjects everyday/week. That is why I was trying to figure how to do some mini lessons on the opposite days. Thanks for your input.:)